Bluetooth / Wifi Worth it - Dolphin / S300 vs S200

mgmoore7

Bronze Supporter
May 9, 2015
Land O Lakes, FL
So it seems that the difference between the S200 and S300 is just the wifi/bluetooth and use of the APP. Is there anything else. Trying to figure out if this is really worth it? Typically I like automation and things that can be controlled via app but it is not always more convenient or really provides any advantage. I have 12k gallon pool with a screen enclosure. My traditional vacuum cleaner needs to be replaced and looking forward to eliminating hoses, valve changes, pump running at high speed, etc.
I doubt we will leave it in the pool all of the time.
Thoughts?

Is it worth it TO YOU? That's the question you have to answer.

I bought the S300i because I wanted the integrated filter basket AND I wanted the extra features that are only accessible through the App (eg, UltraClean mode or advanced daily scheduling). Those features don't necessarily make my pool cleaner but they give me the flexibility to do things with the bot that I normally wouldn't be able to do with just the power supply. I also like the manual drive feature because, rather than yanking the robot up to the water surface using the power cord, I drive it up onto the ledge and then grab it by the handle.

So it's really more a matter of what YOU want....

Reactions: SunkissedByTheSea
Also, the latest power supplies come with a mode you can set by holding one of the buttons (not sure which one) that's called "AutomationMode". It essentially causes the power supply to "listen" to the line voltage and when the power supply sees the line voltage turn off then on, it initiates whatever cleaning run was previously used. So one could hook up a WiFi outlet to turn off/on at a certain hour, or as needed, and activate the robot.

Reactions: SunkissedByTheSea
Matt, the OP and not the other one...

I am at the other end of the spectrum... I do not need the caddy nor the extra bells and whistles..

So, as the Joyful Matt says... it just matters what you want.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the caddy...I LOVE :love: my caddy and use it ALL THE TIME. It makes hauling the bot around my pool super easy and, when not in the water, the bot sits on the caddy.

If you look at the individual pricing of everything, you can buy the individual filter elements separately as well as the caddy. But, at that point, you're pretty close to the price of the upgraded BOT. The only thing you CAN'T buy is the power supply/motor combo that gives you access to the advanced features. So you could make an S300-like robot just without any of the fancy Bluetooth options.

My pool area is pretty small and I have a pool toy box that the power supply and cable can be stored in while in and not used, so I don't need the caddy.
The main reason I asked is related to if the automation features are something that people use or are just nice selling ideas and gimmicks. Let's face it, sometimes it is easier and faster to push a button on the power supply than open the app. Lots of automation is this way but some is invaluable. That would depend on the walk time and such to the pool.

I have the Pentair (s200) and use automation mode. I have mine scheduled to run A couple times a day and can start it from my phone.
I even bought a refurbished amazon echo so I can tell it to run.
Only downside it the base model will only run 2 hours and stops which is more the. Enough time to clean my 28000 gallon pool

My pool area is pretty small and I have a pool toy box that the power supply and cable can be stored in while in and not used, so I don't need the caddy.
The main reason I asked is related to if the automation features are something that people use or are just nice selling ideas and gimmicks. Let's face it, sometimes it is easier and faster to push a button on the power supply than open the app. Lots of automation is this way but some is invaluable. That would depend on the walk time and such to the pool.

I use the App about 50% of the time. When I get heavy leaf debris in my pool from windy days, I will use the 2-1/2 hour clean cycle and run it in Floor-Only mode. My go-to clean routine is 2 hours on Standard Clean mode (80% floor, 20% waterline). If there's lots of flower debris at the waterline (my Texas Sage is good at dumping lots of little flowers in the pool that stock to the water line), I will open the App and run a special cycle of Waterline Clean. On a day when I need to clean the pool fast, I will use a Fast-Clean mode. As I said, I like to drive the BOT to my ledge or stairs to pick it up rather than use the cord to drag it up.

All-in-all, 50-60% of the time, I'm using the App.....it's not a gimmick, it has it's uses if you're willing to use it. It is the "Best App Ever!!" ? Hardly not! It's on my list of Apps where the App developer should be flogged for some of the stupid things that it does and the layout is atrocious. But there are few Apps out there that are programmed by people that know what their doing and have a good eye for design/user-experience. Dolphin doesn't spend a lot of money on it's App-Monkey Department and it clearly shows...

For a screened in FL pool with little debris, I doubt you'll ever use any of the advanced cleaning modes. You're probably better off getting the S200 and simply buying the fine pleated filter inserts if it doesn't already come with those. If you want automation, then do as @markayash suggested.

"I have the Pentair (s200) and use automation mode. "
@markayash: Are you using it with a WIFI switch as joyfulNoise outlined or is it a program within the Pentair S200?

" I have a pool toy box that the power supply and cable can be stored in while in and not used, so I don't need the caddy. "
@mgmoore7: The bottom of the caddy is formed so that the robot is supported on hard spots and not crushing the brushes, may be worth it to protect the brushes.

"I have the Pentair (s200) and use automation mode. "
@markayash: Are you using it with a WIFI switch as joyfulNoise outlined or is it a program within the Pentair S200?

" I have a pool toy box that the power supply and cable can be stored in while in and not used, so I don't need the caddy. "
@mgmoore7: The bottom of the caddy is formed so that the robot is supported on hard spots and not crushing the brushes, may be worth it to protect the brushes.
Just a WiFi controlled smart plug

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Marina pool supply called me back last night. I decided on the Pentair Warrier SE at 699 shipped and no tax. In the end, after dealing with noses, pump valves, speed settings and it taking at least 4 hours to poorly learn our pool, I think this will be a huge upgrade even without the automation. I could do the switch as suggested if I really can't walk 20 ft to turn it on. :)

Reactions: markayash
@markayash & @JoyfulNoise:
How do you get it into "Automation Mode" I have Active i30 that just turned 4 years old. If I can get it to run a cycle by using a WIFI controlled smart plug, I could program the smart plug to run a cycle three times during the night which should do a good job at cleaning pool every night, This would be great for me.

There is a long thread on it I will post below..Basically turn the power supply off, then push the button to the right and hold for 12 seconds..All the lights should flash and it will turn off
Then you can pull the plug and plug back in and it should run a 2 hours cycle, sometimes you have to pull and re-plug twice to start it..
I have a cheap ( price wise )outlet by vesync and can set schedules or start from my phone

believe that the S300 does water line but the S200 does not. For me that is a big difference.

D,

You believe wrong...!! The S200 does the floor, walls, and tile line.. It does the tile line better than any of my previous robots.

It does not come with a caddie or any of the bells and whistles, which works just fine for me.

Thanks,

Jim R.

PA,

I store my robot on two cedar 4 x 4's each about 6" long to hold it off the deck. The 4 X 4's fit between the tracks, so it keeps the brushes off the ground.

The power supply is mounted nearby, on a wall about 2' off the deck.

It sits under the eve of the house and is somewhat protected...

I see my robot as a tool, not a pet.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

On a related topic, Does anyone know if there is a through wall plug adapter that is sold, I saw it on a Maytronics add for the dolphin but could never find it online I called Maytronics and finally was told they did not sell it in the US, that was a couple of years ago. I have my power supply inside and pass the cord through a window but would like to keep window closed and just plug into outside of wall but need the proper connector plug.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.