Blue White flowmeters to sell to TFP members-a few left over

Jun 24, 2007
The reason I got a flowmeter is two fold. I want to know how long to run my pump each day to turn my water over using as little power as possible. Also, the accuracy of a flowmeters for back washing is much better than pressure gauges.

I have been meaning to install a flowmeter for two years. I finally did it after I ordered 3 different types and then bought 6 together in a lot for a good deal!!! I am not a pool or a flowmeter expert (I'm in public safety) but I am a satisfied user with some extra meters that you can buy cheaper than online stores. I have installed one of them, given 3 to close friends and have a few left to sell to the TFP members if interested. PM me if interested with your email and I will answer any questions. These are in box and not used with the clamps and instructions. They sell on line for between $75 and $100 depending on the model. To make it easy I will take $35 each (plus cost to ship it) for any model I have that will fit your pipes and flow direction. :party:

To use a flowmeter correctly you need a length of straight pipe that is 10 times your pipe diameter size before the meter and 4 times the diameter size after the meter for it to be really acurate but many folks I have read about cheated a little if necessary. An example to explain this would be if you have 2" pvc pipe coming out of your pump or filter you would need 20" before the meter and 8" after the meter (or 28" total) of straight pipe (no elbows). The distance should/can include pipe under ground too!!!
d300_installation_490wd.jpg

Flowmeter022.jpg

Flowmeter024.jpg

ATTENTION THE PICTURE ABOVE IS ONLY ONE EXAMPLE: The model numbers I have are EFFECTIVE 7/2/09 -- U-30150P; U-30200P; F-30300PR;. If you don't know exactly what you need just message me and I'll try to help tell you which one you need even if it is not one of these.

These are the best brand for pool use. Blue White F300 Series. What I can sell is 2 models for 1 1/2” pipe (horizontal flow and up flow), 2 models for 2” pipe (up flow and a low volume horizontal flow 0-70 GPM) and one horizontal for a 3” pipe. I have no down flow models.
Flowmeter014.jpg

I have included photos of mine installed and a couple of the models out of the box so you see an horizontal and
a vertical mount. Let me know if you are interested and I will keep this thread updated.

Flowmeter001.jpg

I just wanted to say THANKS to plsbcheap for the flowmeter I purchased from them!! I want everyone to know it was shipped as soon as they received my payment and stayed in constant contact. My flowmeter is brand new with all instructions and parts. So if plsbcheap has a model flowmeter you need, purchase with confidence and know you will not find a better price!

Just some good reading if you are trying to figure out where to put a flowmeter. Also "search" will help you see posts that explain how/why flowmeters help you.

P1010090return20vertical.jpg

plsbcheap
Message subject: Re: Blue White flowmeters to sell to TFP members-a few left over Sent: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:06 pm
I would want it vertical. Easier to read. It stands up vertical with the vertical pipe, not perpendicular (see that link for the upflow model) but I don't know your walkway comment. I would be careful that no one trips on it on the ground and breaks it or the pipe. Now that I think about it I think you have plenty of room vertically but one possible problem. The flow meter only sticks out from the pipe 1/4" That ball valve hump may be more than that you need to measure it. That would keep it from tightening all the way if it is over 1/4" sticking out. If you didn't have the female/female coupling (where spliced) it could slide down a bit.

You just want this on a single (full flow pipe). Before the pump, between the pump and panels, filter, return period. As long as it is a single straight pipe you should measure the same flow. And that is the flow returning to the pool. If you can, measure the coupling to ball valve hump and if it is over 1/4" you will probably have to mount on the ground.
All the best,
Plsbcheap

View message

amjohn
Message subject: Re: Blue White flowmeters to sell to TFP members-a few left over Sent: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:05 pm
The funky connector on the return is a reducer- Doughboy uses non-standard fittings so the rubber thing is reducing from 1.5 on the ball-valve to something less on the return. So we really just barely have 20 inches in that vertical run. Is that enough? Also, can we put that roughly parallel to the surface of the pool? It really cannot stick out perpendicular to the pool surface because that is a very narrow walkway there.
I am also wondering about putting it at the return pipe. That is the very last pipe after the water has wended its way through the filter and solar system. Is that able to tell us anything about how much water the pump is putting out- a problem that we are having determining? We think our pump is underperforming, but are having trouble proving it.

View message

plsbcheap
Message subject: Re: Blue White flowmeters to sell to TFP members-a few left over Sent: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:26 pm
I think you can do both. The manufacture recommends the 15" befor the meter (straight pipe) and 6" after so the flow is uninterupted. Turbulence is created after a 90, 45, T or any type turn. So by looking at the vertical run putting it right before the ball valve would give you the 15+" from the ground and you will have 6" before the elbow into the pool. Count the ball valve and the funky connector as straight pipe since it is and the ID is roughly the same. I would not if it reduced to 1" or 3/4". The big benefit to this location is that it's off the ground and easy to read. The horizontal works too as long as there is no turbulent flow before and after. Hard to tell where the pipe with the T is coming/going. Your call. Once you mount it the reading is established so if you put it in a 20" area total the flow may be off a few GPM's but consistently the same. So with a clean filter you will know what your flow should be. Just let me know what you want to do.
Thanks,

See this link to see how both mount.
http://www.blue-white.com/Products/Vari ... 20Pipe.pdf

View message

amjohn
Message subject: Re: Blue White flowmeters to sell to TFP members-a few left over Sent: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:27 pm
Here are the pictures with a tape measure. The ball valve is connecting between 1.5 inch pvc and a custom funky Doughboy fitting, but it should be the same id. The collar a few inches down is a simple splice, with continuous flow, so that counts as same id I think. Anyways, the problem is that the distance from the top of the ball valve to the top of the 90 degree elbow is only 20 inches.
We do have an uninterrupted run going horizontal on the ground coming to this return that is 36 inches, and we can get well away from any elbows or valves. There is a splice again, but it is a continuous one. We cannot get too much more than 24 inches away from the T that feeds this section, or we get into a walkway, but we have another 18 inches after that of open walkway area before we get to the 90 degree that goes up to the return (so basically a 3.5 foot simple horizontal run). Sounds like a horizontal run may be better for us?
See pictures below.

View message

plsbcheap
Message subject: Re: Blue White flowmeters to sell to TFP members-a few left over Sent: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:24 pm
I understand and that is a cool set up. If that is the return (pump to pool and not suction) that is probably where I would put it. You need 15" before and 6 after the meter I believe. Maybe that section in between the female to female fitting and ball valve. If the distance is right I would like it there. 90 degree elbow after it is fine as long as you have 6" before the water hits the elbow. Undesturbed flow is what it is looking for. I assume the ball value has the same ID as the 1.5" pipe.

That model is a U-30150P for up flowing water.
Just let me know.
Plsbcheap

View message

amjohn
Message subject: Re: Blue White flowmeters to sell to TFP members-a few left over Sent: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:24 pm
The ball valve is to isolate the pump and filter for repair- our skimmer and return do not have any way built into them to do so easily (other than stuff a rag inside the hole and work fast).
Also, we do not shut down the pool in winter, but run it on a freeze protection pump. However, if we get a sudden ice storm, power will go down, and then we will have to break it all down in a hurry. The return (and skimmer in a similar matter) can be closed off quickly and the pipes, filter, pump all drained and removed before they can freeze.
I will measure the length in the morning.

View message

plsbcheap
Message subject: Re: Blue White flowmeters to sell to TFP members-a few left over Sent: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:43 pm
amjohn,
You need to decide which pipe has all the water flowing through it in single file (in other words not split between the two solar panels.) Since I can't see flow direction I am not sure. Depending on how high that pipe is going from the ground to the side of your pool (assuming is is returning water to the pool) I think you could put it there. Measure the height from ground to the return. And why is a ball valve there?
Thanks,
Plsbcheap

View message

amjohn
Message subject: Re: Blue White flowmeters to sell to TFP members-a few left over Sent: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:54 am
I am interested. I have 1.5 inch plumbing. Leaving for day, but let me know which model is appropriate. You can see my whole pool set up on the post:http://www.troublefreepool.com/adding-solar-bear-panels-to-our-agp-the-process-with-pics-t11410.html
Page 2 shows our plumbing as it is currently configured. Not sure which flowmeter we need.
Thanks,

It will definitely pose a problem. That is my plumbing, and there is no way that the flowmeter will clear that valve. Unfortunately, the splice below it cannot be moved and is too thick to put the meter into. So we will be going with plan B, the horizontal run of pipe that connects to the vertical in the above picture.
See below:

Attachments

• P1010163horiz run flow meter.JPG
    P1010163horiz run flow meter.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 325
We got it quickly and well packaged in original packaging. plsbcheap also e-mailed me the detailed specs on it so that we can make a good install, and it looks well built. We just have not got it installed yet.
It was supposed to happen this weekend, but my husband's job has taken a turn for the crazy. The last thing you want to be these days is the oldest guy by 10 years in an IT department- which he is. You have a big sign over your head all the time- "TOO OLD- FIRE ME", and if they think you are slacking off, they do just that. So he is "contributing" lots of free overtime right now. He is all set up to do the install, just has to find the time. Plus it has been 103-105 degrees daily right now- not ideal working weather. The weather service says a cool front will come in this weekend, and we may see temps as low as low 90's. Woohoo. So, unless the company thinks he needs to work all weekend to keep his job, the plan is for my husband to install the flowmeter, a new gage, and a check valve, along with another plumbing repair, this weekend. I will post when we have an install, with pictures.

Got it mounted in the planned location on a straight run of pipe just before the return, reading 30gpm with the solar system shut out of the loop completely. With the solar system fully running, reads about 28 gpm.
The location is not ideal, we will have to be careful not to stomp it when backwashing and cleaning the pool. But it was the only straight run we had that was long enough to be suitable for the meter. With the solar shut out of the system, it seems we must have more turbulence (just guessing) because the float bobs a bit. The water is coming around a tight corner before it gets to this return line. Once the solar is dialed in to the system, the float calms down, as the run before it is several feet long of straight pipe.

Attachments

• flowmeter mounted close reading.JPG
    flowmeter mounted close reading.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 172
  • flowmeter mounted.jpg
    flowmeter mounted.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 174
  • flowmeter mounted close.JPG
    flowmeter mounted close.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 173
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.