Blue granite vs blue surf Again

Feb 18, 2014
Houston, TX
So im sure everyone who was pebble sheen blue surf or blue granite has struggled with the decision of which to pick. The reason its been difficult to choose is consistency. I know the kind of enviroment you have, whether the water still, depth all afect the way the color looks.

So here are the two pics of blue granite and blue surf that i like (i got them off this forum) For you who own one of these how often does your pool look like this (during summer)?

The one with kids in it is blue surf.
c8eee92ea1d6c069fc93f45fbb3fdb1f.jpg
aa92bdd9fe5b0e00f9bc8907987ee608.jpg

I have black onyx pebblesheen, which also turns gray over time. My pool is 50% or so grayish after 5 years. Lots of pics in my pool thread, link in sig. Lots of things impact water color. Clouds, trees, shadows, reflections, sun angle. My pool is different colors all the time.

The top photo with the kids in the pool is Ummgood's pool in Austin. It's a great build story with the most patient pool owner I know. It is blue surf. On my phone, I really can't tell the difference between the finishes in the two photos. I think that speaks to how close the colors are. To really see the difference, you'd have to see the two pools with blue granite and blue surf next to each other in the identical surroundings and light. I have blue granite and really like it. I've never seen blue surf in person, but I think I would be just as happy with either one. Knowing now that plaster fading is common, I wonder how much French Grey would change and if it has much mottling. If I remember correctly, blue granite is very close to French Grey. My blue granite has a good bit of mottling - that has never bothered me at all. That's more natural looking to me after all my years of lake swimming. Throughout the day, the color changes to something different about every 2 hours as the sun moves. There are a couple of changes in color that aren't my favorite (the lighting makes the plaster look dirty). The rest of the time, I love it. My favorite color is when I'm in the pool! :splash: Good luck!

My memory began to bother me re Umm's pool, so I went back to his thread to check on his pebble sheen color. It is blue surf, BUT.... he added luminous beads, blue blend. I would think those gave the pool a richer blue. I can't say for sure or by how much. I wouldn't want you choosing a color with incomplete information. Below is a link to page 37 of his build thread with more photos of the pool.

Yet another Texas pool build! - Page 37

Maybe I'm color blind but I have a hard time telling the difference. The 2nd picture looks like it has some more green tint. I like the 2nd one . Both nice though

Spring 2017 new build in PA ! //// Pool on a big hill //// IG SWG 800 sqft +100 sqft sun shelf + 50 sqft spa. //// All Jandy Pro series equipment (help me choose which models !) //// SGM River Rok or Diamond Brite (help me choose!) //// Stamped Concrete, Pavers, or Stone (help me choose ! )

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's me again. I was searching for some other blue surf pools. The others I found had also added the luminous beads. The link below shows a pool with blue surf without beads. On page 6, the pool owner plainly says it is pure blue surf, no extra colors or beads added. Page 7 shows some great pictures of his pool - in full sun and shade. A gorgeous color! It seems to have less green tones than Umm's pool that is your first picture you posted above with kids playing in the pool.

New Build - Rectangular - Phoenix, AZ - Page 7

I think you're so right about consistency, well, lack of consistency is what makes plaster selection so insane. I think for a while, it DID drive me a little nuts. You can look at my pool build (link is in my signature) and see quite a few blue granite pictures. Start on p. 63 to see how it looked with the first water in it - GREEN! And not a pretty green. Then jump to about page 70, and you'll see how much the water color shifted once the pool was filled and the water chemistry stable. I came to my desktop since I don't trust the colors on my Samsung phone. It hasn't helped much. I have to say that the pictures of my pool on my build thread look to be a more vibrant blue than what I usually see. Of course, the pictures were taken with a samsung phone. Also, I was probably shooting pictures when I liked the color best - midday full sun.

You're doing a remodel - do you know who is doing it? It must be MMG unless another group is also installing PebbleTec around here. Have they taken you to see some pools with blue granite and blue surf? Still, I have to say, that didn't help me much. The locations of the pools I saw were so different from mine. I don't know where you are in Houston. I'm in Cypress on the NW side of Houston - near 249 and Louetta or north of Willowbrook Mall. If it's not a bad drive for you, you're welcome to come look at my pool.

Would you like my suggestions for picking a pool color, especially with PebbleTec? No magic here, but I have thought about it a lot knowing how difficult it was for me and seeing it is also difficult for many others.

Suz,
Thanks for offering but i will ask my pool company to go see pools. We are using eastex pool which uses MMG. I have to say ive looked at every pic on this forum of blue surf and many of blue granite.

Its like we have picked a color but keep looking at pictures and see a bad photo of it and change our minds. I know whichever of the two we end up making our final fina final decision will be great.

Id like to hear your suggestions for picking a colors esp with pebble.

I have blue surf and some days it looks lighter than others. It really depends on how much sun you get and if you have trees, which we do. Blue granite is a tad darker and any steps or shelf will be more gray than blue surf.
I don't think you can go wrong with either color.

All grayish finishes look flat/dull when there is not much water movement. This is most common in French grey, but it does offer a good consistency of color. I believe this to be a big difference maker in the color and sparkle in the different pictures, aside from the other points mentioned. We have a Quartz based finish that does the same (deeper blue in certain sunlight, flat without much water movement). I do think blue granite is a slightly grey-er finish than blue surf and offers a slightly deeper blue or teal (someone mentioned a greenish tint which is partially accurate).

Hey Marla! Good to 'see' you again! Your pool was the first I remembered having blue surf when I was looking for pictures, but I had forgotten you added beads.

If you can't eat or sleep because you're suffering from plaster color anxiety, this is my best guess strategy for deciding on a pool finish color. (I thought of this way after my pool was built while floating in my pool PONDERING on why in the world I drove myself crazy and everyone else on TFP! :crazy:)

Focus on the characteristics of colors rather than getting the exact color - I've decided that's next to impossible since you won't know for sure until your pool is filled in YOUR surroundings.

1. dark, medium, or light plaster color? (need to understand the pros and cons of each)
2. favorite color tones - blue, green, or aqua?
3. pure or not pure colors - blue only, blue with a touch of green, or no hint of green?
4. a more subtle color or one that pops/ stands out?
5. are you ok with shallower areas (benches, upper steps, sun shelf) looking mostly gray, or do you want them to show more color?
6. Now that you've eliminated many colors, and narrowed down to 2-3 choices, flip a coin or do rock/paper/scissors with your partner, and you've got your color!

My theory is that those 2-3 final choices will be so close, it won't matter since you cannot predict with 100% certainty how it will look in your pool. Once your pool is filled and the water balanced, you'll love it because it's yours. Kind of like having a baby - "Oh it's the perfect one!" (when we all know, if you had chosen color B instead, you would have said, the same thing - "THIS is exactly what I wanted!") So once you've pulled the trigger, have Kim lock you in on the color, have a great meal, get some sleep, and STOP PULLING OUT YOUR HAIR!!! :party:

I hope this helps! :hug:
Suz

Disclaimer: This strategy could be harmful to those alien beings who know exactly what they want, who never struggle to visualize how something will look, or who never suffer making a decision! Use this at your own risk. No guarantees...

Reactions: Girija
I think flipping a coin will make hy hyperventilate lol. I found someone who installed the same tile we picked out and i really like their plaster color.

The thing is that is not pebble. What would be the closest color to CLI Caribbean blue crystal stone smooth? Does it seem closer to blue surf? Also, the steps arent gray but that wouldnt really bother me anyways.

New Pool Austin Tx
137030aeb8fe58662729d7aa450356fb.jpg
56b0345556cb65532280f27a93e39332.jpg
8e0c2ddf517d34ad68bc4bcf8027c382.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.