DIYLinerPool

Sep 28, 2020
Chicago (West Suburbs), IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello - not too far away from closing the pool for the summer and was just trying to make sure I had everything I need. I have an auto cover so will not be lowering the water level at all. I see a lot of people that mention using the Air Supply Cyclone blower (about $332 on Amazon right now). Is this the best option for blowing out the lines? I have a shop vac but not sure if it will be powerful enough? Any other options? Thanks for the help.

Autocovers are not designed to handle large snow loads. If you want your autocover to last use a separate winter cover.

Cyclone blower gives you the air volume you need to blow out lines. Some folks get away with using a shopvac. All depends how your plumbing is setup.

Autocovers are not designed to handle large snow loads. If you want your autocover to last use a separate winter cover.

Cyclone blower gives you the air volume you need to blow out lines. Some folks get away with using a shopvac. All depends how your plumbing is setup.

Ok will have to look into that more, I have seen a lot of people on here who talked about using an autocover as a winter cover, and my next door neighbor does as well and has been using his for 10+ years with no problem. But thank you for the info.

Ok will have to look into that more, I have seen a lot of people on here who talked about using an autocover as a winter cover, and my next door neighbor does as well and has been using his for 10+ years with no problem. But thank you for the info.

And every winter we see pics here of damaged autocovers. You pay you money and take your chances.

Reactions: chia9876
I would have to disagree. I've used a solid winter cover in the past 10 - 15 years and an auto cover for a couple of years now. Both of them have held up to snow loads. As long as my water level is correct the auto cover is supported by the water. The weight of the snow is on the water not on the cover. I've seen 6 inches of rain sitting on my auto cover with no ill effects. Normally, it gets pumped off but the power was off.

I think it is clear from reading the older threads that the water level is critical if you are going to use an auto cover as a winter cover. People that have tiled edges drop the water level to protect the tile from ice. That's not an issue with a vinyl liner pool if you don't drop the water level for the winter. I blow the lines and add anti-freeze. My water level stays the same year round. I agree that one size does not fit all. It's all using the right tool for the correct application.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.