Bleeding water

alabammer

Nov 16, 2023
AL
So by watching a bunch of videos on you tube, it looks like my set up isn't like most. It's possible for me to have my main drain and skimmer drain open simultaneously. I've been losing about 2.5 inches of water per day from a 20x40 pool. I do have a small hole in the liner by the ladder, of which I patched, and I don't think it's pulling a couple hundred gallons per day from the pool. I also had a French drain put in this summer and some have suggested they may have punctured the pvc pipe underground.

Before I tackle one of those, I just noticed that both my main deep end drain and my skimmer drain, have both been open all summer, 24x7. Any chance that's the source of my issue or is it time to open the wallet and call someone out? I turned off the main drain now that I realized it's been open all summer, so I'm hoping that's the fix, but im not optimistic...

Welcome to TFP.

Nothing wrong with using the main drain and skimmers simultaneously. If your main drain is functioning properly and you have enough pump power then that configuration maximizes the circulation in the pool.

Having both on will not cause a loss of water.

I suggest you look at that hole by the ladder. You can lose more water then you think.

So by watching a bunch of videos on you tube, it looks like my set up isn't like most. It's possible for me to have my main drain and skimmer drain open simultaneously. I've been losing about 2.5 inches of water per day from a 20x40 pool. I do have a small hole in the liner by the ladder, of which I patched, and I don't think it's pulling a couple hundred gallons per day from the pool. I also had a French drain put in this summer and some have suggested they may have punctured the pvc pipe underground.

Before I tackle one of those, I just noticed that both my main deep end drain and my skimmer drain, have both been open all summer, 24x7. Any chance that's the source of my issue or is it time to open the wallet and call someone out? I turned off the main drain now that I realized it's been open all summer, so I'm hoping that's the fix, but im not optimistic...
2.5” of water loss is a lot. take some food dye around suspected areas and see if it gets pulled into the leak.

If you don’t add any water, you can wait to see if it stops leaking once it reaches certain things like the skimmer, light, returns which will help narrow it down. Just turn the pump off before it gets past the skimmer.

I leave my skimmers and drain open all season, it’s totally normal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.