Bleach vs calcium hypo smell

I just wanted to post an update.

For several days I kept my FC between 3.5 - 5 PPM, typically more in the 4-5 range.
The smell I hated was gone and the pool smelled like I remembered the pool smelling like when I grew up. I could still smell chlorine, but it was more of a "clean" smell and didn't bother me at all.

Just out of curiosity I let the FC drop to 2.2 PPM and yesterday though the pool it self didn't seem to have an issue when we went in, my hand smelled when I pulled the skimmer basket out to clean it.

I added enough bleach to bring it back up to 5.2 PPM and went to bed.

A clean and healthy pool shouldn't smell of clorine, when you stick your hand in the water the clorine will oxidize some dead skin, give off some CC's and you can smell some clorine.

I use this as a test at other pools to see if they are 'ok' enough to swim.

A clean and healthy pool shouldn't smell of clorine, when you stick your hand in the water the clorine will oxidize some dead skin, give off some CC's and you can smell some clorine.

I use this as a test at other pools to see if they are 'ok' enough to swim.

Being I was swimming in it when I "sampled the smell" I'm going to assume there was some dead skin oxidation going on.

Regardless, the point was it seems "right" with the higher levels and I was saying thanks.

Reactions: IceShadow
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.