Bleach v corona virus - backup plan?

Just found out my college has gone to all online classes for the rest of the semester. It was just the next two weeks previously. Now I ask you, how do you do drawing and design classes online??!?!??? We had just gotten into drawing the figure -- how am I supposed to do that at home with reluctant models at best?

The world's gone MAD, I tells ya!

Reactions: markayash
Here in FL they have closed all K-12 schools until April 15 (a Wednesday why???). Even bigger is Kansas has closed all K-12 school for the rest of the school year!!!

All Grad celebrations for upper schools in FL have been cancelled :(

Just found out my college has gone to all online classes for the rest of the semester. It was just the next two weeks previously. Now I ask you, how do you do drawing and design classes online??!?!??? We had just gotten into drawing the figure -- how am I supposed to do that at home with reluctant models at best?

The world's gone MAD, I tells ya!

All Ga colleges have gone online for rest or semester. I won't be surprised if public schools don't follow

My kids all start e-learning tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how the internet performs with neighborhoods full of adults trying to work + kids doing online class stuff.

I've already told my kids that if they actually practice their band instruments in band, they better plan on doing it in the backyard.

• Haha
Reactions: Wobblerlorri
My kids all start e-learning tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how the internet performs with neighborhoods full of adults trying to work + kids doing online class stuff.

I've already told my kids that if they actually practice their band instruments in band, they better plan on doing it in the backyard.

My son plays the marimba ( we bought one for home ) and played loud but tolerable until he joined marching band and they taught them to play loud :) Been playing it 6 years and about to graduate for high school. Sad to think he may never get to finish his senior year at school

WHO BOUGHT ALL THE GROUND BEEF???

Meat is one where this shortage can be pointed towards the fact that nobody really wants to warehouse the product. Companies could stock a weeks worth of product to fulfill the demand, but who really wants to purchase a steak that’s sat for a few weeks(unless it’s dry aged, but that’s not gonna happen?). On the flip side the companies don’t really want to stockpile up on the product as if/when something happens and the product is ruined, that’s a TON of money down the drain. About once a year at the center I work at we have a refrigeration unit go bad on a shipment of meat that ruins the entire load. Equals about $100,000 worth of product ruined. And often there’s no donating this product as nobody wants to come within 10 feet of it. ?

Plus, as a consumer, meat freezes very well. I would prefer to have fresh burgers/steaks any day of the week, but it’s still a pretty good apocalypse thawing them out and grilling them.

Plenty of liquid chlorine here. Though it's not pool season yet either for most. I got my startup 4 gallons until my SWCG will work.

Maryland schools are planning/discussing online/paper through year-end like colleges will likely do/are doing, like many states I suspect. In reality, it's hard to follow CDC and/or WH guidelines of groups of 50 or 10 less for 8 weeks without doing so. But this article shows the compete confusion on the topic. A briefing for school superintendents was cancelled until the CDC and WH get on the same page and decide how it should relate to schools.

Meat is one where this shortage can be pointed towards the fact that nobody really wants to warehouse the product. Companies could stock a weeks worth of product to fulfill the demand, but who really wants to purchase a steak that’s sat for a few weeks(unless it’s dry aged, but that’s not gonna happen?). On the flip side the companies don’t really want to stockpile up on the product as if/when something happens and the product is ruined, that’s a TON of money down the drain. About once a year at the center I work at we have a refrigeration unit go bad on a shipment of meat that ruins the entire load. Equals about $100,000 worth of product ruined. And often there’s no donating this product as nobody wants to come within 10 feet of it. ?

Find a biogas company (anaerobic digestion) and you can sell spoiled food to them (I know a guy in Canada that’s into that sort of thing...). Meat, fish, dairy, doesn’t matter. Anaerobic digestion turns it into methane and CO2 as well as digestate liquid (fertilizer) and bio-sludge that can be used by farmers. You won’t get full price for it but you might get 1/2 your value back if the facility isn’t too far away.

Do lifestraws filter out chlorine, salt and cya? Asking for a friend ;)

No it doesn’t. Salt can only be removed through RO. You can get a foot-pumped RO filter that can produce a couple of liters of water with a good workout ...

Reactions: JJ_Tex

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
have you put your numbers into the calculator for a SLAM to see how much bleach/LC might be needed for such? At 10k gallons with a CYA of 40, thats one gallon of 12% just for the initial dose. If you currently have merky water, those 4 gallons might be cutting it close for a full cycle of one SLAM.
If this is your first year, I’d suggest getting a dozen gallons to ensure you’re not in the frenzy. If all goes perfectly and you don’t have to SLAM at opening or even ever this year, your worst case scenario at having some LC on-hand that has lost a bit of its potency. But you’ll still use it all this summer. (I’m no expert, so certainly take the advice of others here if they say otherwise.)
Went back tonight and bought eight more gallons. That will give me a dozen gallons to start the season. I appreciate the advice.

Reactions: Household6
Our pool is almost double your size. We had to SLAM when we opened last year (hoping we don't have to this year) and went through A LOT of liquid chlorine! A LOT!!! So today I went to Menards and bought six cases (24 one gallon jugs) of the 12.5% chlorine anticipating a SLAM when we open in a couple weeks. Any leftover will, as you said, get used into the summer. Mfg date was 48th day of 2020 so it's fresh. We store it in the basement where it's cool and dark.
Now I have a dozen gallons of 12.5 LC from Menards to start the season. I Debated buying a few more, but decided not to do so at this time. I’ll store in the basement as well. I have the same Mfg date on my dozen as you. I didn’t want to buy too much. Dang if you do Dang if you don’t. Hopefully there will be the BOGO from menards later this spring with a fresher date.

Sad to think he may never get to finish his senior year at school
I have two seniors this year in the same situation. They brought home their cap and gowns last week, a few days before all this hit the fan... they were so excited they tried them on and I snapped a pic. Ignorant bliss of what was to come. ?DE305B4B-C888-45A5-A88E-B64270FE8B9A.jpeg

Find a biogas company (anaerobic digestion) and you can sell spoiled food to them (I know a guy in Canada that’s into that sort of thing...). Meat, fish, dairy, doesn’t matter. Anaerobic digestion turns it into methane and CO2 as well as digestate liquid (fertilizer) and bio-sludge that can be used by farmers. You won’t get full price for it but you might get 1/2 your value back if the facility isn’t too far away.

BIOGAS? This is flipping genius! (Makes me want to vomit, but it’s pretty smart!

I have two seniors this year in the same situation. They brought home their cap and gowns last week, a few days before all this hit the fan... they were so excited they tried them on and I snapped a pic. Ignorant bliss of what was to come. ?View attachment 129725
Yup. THESE are the folks it will hit hardest. I can’t imagine not having done all the end of year senior things - yearbooks, prom, senior recognition for various clubs, walking the stage . . . all fond memories Seniors won’t have. “Corona Seniors” would have meant something complete different in the 90’s - likely involved Panama City beach, a cheap motel, fake ID, limes, and corona Beer. <sigh>

Reactions: markayash
Our area has one year-around swim team. Since it’s heated, the city put a bubble on it a few years ago for the team’s use when the local college decided they didn’t want to share anymore.

Despite the CDC specifically stating on their website that properly maintained pools and hot tubs actually irradiate COVID 19, they have still closed the pool for the team’s use.

guess I can’t blame them though. Swim USA has cancelled every meet nationwide for the foreseeable future. This means no regional, state or national championship meets. The residual is going to implication on juniors and seniors for scholarship money.

• Sad
Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.