Bleach v corona virus - backup plan?

You still need liquid to get the chlorine level up and then let the SWCG take over from there.
Mine takes 2 days Of 100% run time to reach target FC range. At a cost of 7 cents an hour plate depreciation it comes to $3.36, which is less than one gallon of liquid. I got my SWG so I didn’t ever have to buy/lug jugs. It might take a bit longer, but it will catch up everytime at a savings over liquid chlorine.

Anybody who is properly oversized should have no problems making enough FC providing it isn’t the hottest part of the season.

Reactions: markayash
You still need liquid to get the chlorine level up and then let the SWCG take over from there.
Since this would be the initial fill, that's why I said I'd use dichlor. It would add the initial FC, along with CYA which would be needed anyway.

And unlike trichlor, dichlor adds FC as fast as liquid chlorine does, as it dissolves almost instantly.

Basically this opening method I propose is like the "dichlor then bleach" spa method outlined here on TFP, only it would be "dichlor then SWCG" instead.

Guys, some of are facing mandatory closures of all "non-essential" businesses for an indefinite period. If there's nowhere to get chlorine there are going to be hundreds of thousands of swimming pools breeding mosquitoes in a couple of weeks. We're going to have secondary epidemics of Zika, St Louis Encephalitis, and West Nile as the weather warms up.

I'm stocking up on liquid chlorine, but I can only store so much. I'm more worried about what people who rely on pool boys are going to do when they're suddenly faced with a pool they can't care for. I hope most people have enough sense to drain the pool if they cannot keep in sanitized, or at least have a large supply of mosquito dunks.

Man, this is bad.

Mine takes 2 days Of 100% run time to reach target FC range. At a cost of 7 cents an hour plate depreciation it comes to $3.36, which is less than one gallon of liquid. I got my SWG so I didn’t ever have to buy/lug jugs. It might take a bit longer, but it will catch up everytime at a savings over liquid chlorine.

Anybody who is properly oversized should have no problems making enough FC providing it isn’t the hottest part of the season.

Dude, the problem for a lot of folks in warmer climes than you is a day waiting for a SWG to produce enough is an engraved invitation for algae to come to the pool party.

We always advise folks with the advice that they should have the FC at their goal level so when that SWG is turned on its going to maintain that level.

Maddie :flower:

LOL...come winter in WI that baby will be closed up tight and tucked in for a long winters nap. No one is gonna be keeping chlorine in a frozen pond. :crazy: Drinking and Hockey season in WI starts about the same time as they close their pools, I think?

, your
Dude, the problem for a lot of folks in warmer climes than you is a day waiting for a SWG to produce enough is an engraved invitation for algae to come to the pool party
Of course, but the discussion was about opening early. Which should be similar temperatures/lesser demands for most of us, just some get there earlier than the others.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
not to burst your bubble.. but I see you are in WI... come winter time it will be too cold for your SWG to make Cl and you'll have to use... LC or pucks.. just sayin'
Well, I didn't really think about that. But that's still roundabouts October I would think, maybe late September. If we can't get liquid chlorine by then I'll probably have bigger things to worry about then putting chlorine in my pool...

LOL...come winter in WI that baby will be closed up tight and tucked in for a long winters nap. No one is gonna be keeping chlorine in a frozen pond. :crazy: Drinking and Hockey season in WI starts about the same time as they close their pools, I think?

Start drinking in the fall? We never stop! We just change the activity we watch or do while drinking throughout the year. :ROFLMAO:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am sold on my SWG, I had a iron stains come back ( my fault not following the process and adding metal out ) so I added 5 more pds Vitamin C..Removed the stains but I didn't think about not being able to find bleach..I had 2 bags of Triclor shock but chlorine was still ZERO..
Balanced PH and put the Edge40 at 100% and said do your stuff..16 hours later retested and my level is around 8!!
So in less then 24 hours it took my 20K pool from zero to 8. Just set to the lowest setting and will see how it does..I also have a timer I can use if needed

So in less then 24 hours it took my 20K pool from zero to 8. Just set to the lowest setting and will see how it does
Again, I would not recommend this in the ‘hot’ or even the almost hot part of anyone’s season. But early or late in anyone’s respective season it should be no problem.

Reactions: markayash
EDIT: This plan assumes SWCG's don't sell out shortly because everyone is buying them cause they can't get liquid chlorine. Hmm...maybe I need to buy that SWCG now. Lol
That could certainly happen. Even without the extra demand, they probably aren’t being produced right now.

That could certainly happen. Even without the extra demand, they probably aren’t being produced right now.

I noticed Inyo was out of VS pumps couple months back. Guessing most of that stuff is made in China ( probably American brands also ) but they shut that down.
Sisters son works at a Walmart warehouse and they cut staff because there were no shipments coming in from China several weeks back

Gotta find that one small pool shop/web site that has what you want in stock. Hope that no one else gets there first?

This certainly is a public wake up to something I've often dwelled on- Stop relying on China to meet all our needs! Seriously, one example, buying Christmas ornaments from a country that has outlawed Christmas?!

Reactions: Newdude
Gotta find that one small pool shop/web site that has what you want in stock. Hope that no one else gets there first?

This certainly is a public wake up to something I've often dwelled on- Stop relying on China to meet all our needs! Seriously, one example, buying Christmas ornaments from a country that has outlawed Christmas?!

They also will steal your design, they admit it also :)

BUT make sure their stock isn't old or stored improperly or else what you're buying will have lost most of its potency. I called a local pool store a couple weeks ago who admitted all the LC they had was from last season and every time I drive by there, it's stacked up outside their store in direct sun. Knowing that LC was worthless, I went somewhere else.

• Wow
Reactions: kimkats
Maddie,
Have you seen what China looks like at Christmas time. There are more decorations there than anywhere In the world. They really do celebrate Christmas. It just not as a religious holiday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.