Bleach v corona virus - backup plan?

I'm noticing in my area reduced availability of Sodium-Hypo. I went to stock up today expecting my spring vacation to be canceled and wanting to open my pool early, some stores said they hadn't ordered it yet - and others said they were sold out.

If this trend keeps up, what is my best alternative? Cal-Hypo (I have a liner pool and I have room on the Ca+ side of things)? Dichlor (I have a cartridge filter, and a Dolphin, so I don't regularly back wash)?

I would love to get some thoughts.

Cal-hypo is your best bet. You will need acid on hand too to combat pH rise. Track your CSI and keep it slightly negative.

Saltwater chlorine generators are a great thing ....

Hi folks.

Out here in the Eastside of Seattle it's kinda crazy with Covid-19.

Last week I went to my nearby Home Depot, and I only found 2 gallons of the Germicidal HDX bleach.

So today I checked their online stock (which usually is reliable). For every store nearby it said, "Low stock, visit store."

I went to a different Home Depot than last week and I was able to get all I needed.

With the sun more overhead, and the water warming up, pool demand will go up.

Just be aware...
I saw two different types of HDX bleach at my HD. Both 6%, just labeled differently but same price.
I pulled out the bleach calculator and did the math and the liquid chlorine in the pool section was a much better deal - very close to the Walmart brand price, but since the percentage is higher, I don’t have to store quite as many bottles.

Cal-hypo is your best bet. You will need acid on hand too to combat pH rise. Track your CSI and keep it slightly negative.

Saltwater chlorine generators are a great thing ....
I’ve thought about going to saltwater, but I fear the corrosion. Our pool and it’s plumbing is so old (around 40 years) it just makes more sense to leave well enough alone.

Hand blowers are a hygiene risk aerosolizing moisture and possibly virus and launching it in the air towards you. Hopefully people wise up and replace them with paper towels dispensers.

I have seen people stand by a door and wait until someone comes in to get out. :unsure:
I’m not a germofobe by any definition. But have always refused to use the hand dryers in public restrooms. All the fecal matter that floats around and gets in the filter, then you blow it onto your hands . . . <gag!>

Gov of NC closed all public schools until at LEAST 3/30.
since spring break is two weeks after that, I’m feeling pretty confident schools won’t open back until 4/20.
toilet paper was the first to go, then hand sanitizer, cleaning supplies, bleach, then paper towels - that was all prior to the weekend! Since Saturday all frozen food sections are wiped out, chips, snacks, OJ, milk. Why? Bevause now all the kids are left home that are usually in school. They have to have something easy to fix for lunch.
No reported test positives in our county yet, but every surrounding county has it. Head of local hospital said today he suspects a test to come back positive on Tuesday (tmrw). Can you even imagine what will happen after that?!
Unless you’re 60+ or have an immunity issue, I just don’t get it!!

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
We are a bit ahead of your timeline in NY. All gyms, bars and movies are closed. Restaurants are take out only and per the Governor the schools are closed until 4/1, But NYC chose 4/20 so I imagine the rest of us will match that at some point.

Unless you’re 60+ or have an immunity issue, I just don’t get it!!
It spreads very fast, faster than the flu, and the few % of severe cases overwhelm hospital beds and cause a shortage of ventilators and oxygen, since the virus kills people through an inability to breathe.

See Italy. They are putting people in makeshift shelters and have to decide who gets ventilators and oxygen and who does not.

The hospital my wife works at is already trying to figure out how they can splice together ventilators and have four patients on one ventilator, because they are expecting to have an overwhelming demand for ventilators like other hospitals have.

For most people, it's not a big deal. For the few it is, it's overwhelming for the healthcare system.

The goal is to slow the spread so the healthcare system can keep up, and hopefully less people die because they have enough ventilators and oxygen to match demand.

Keep in mind breathing assistance aside, when healthcare workers inevitable get this, they are sent home for two weeks. So not only will there be overloaded hospitals with not enough equipment to go around, but they will be understaffed at the same time.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
and cause a shortage of ventilators and oxygen
A reported said yesterday on the news that NY has 600 ventilators state wide.
For most people, it's not a big deal. For the few it is, it's overwhelming for the healthcare system
The most sobering thought I saw was to ask yourself how many people you may encounter who WONT be as fortunate.

Reactions: jseyfert3
Here in Ohio the colleges have shut down. The K-12 schooling is closed. Restaurants and bars are closed. Yesterday, the movie theaters, gyms, indoor parks such as trampoline, swim, etc... Election has been postponed today as well. Governor keeps referring to flatten the curve to lessen the impact on medical industry. Social distancing is the key to limiting the spread.

I did pick up four gallons of 12% LC yesterday at Menards. Why? Just to have since this will be my first opening this spring. Trying to not panic, but prefer to be prepared. No personal experience to draw upon, but certainly appreciate the direction of TFP. The LC was dated 20048 so I assume it is 2/17/20. $3.99 a gallon.

It spreads very fast, faster than the flu, and the few % of severe cases overwhelm hospital beds and cause a shortage of ventilators and oxygen, since the virus kills people through an inability to breathe.

See Italy. They are putting people in makeshift shelters and have to decide who gets ventilators and oxygen and who does not.

The hospital my wife works at is already trying to figure out how they can splice together ventilators and have four patients on one ventilator, because they are expecting to have an overwhelming demand for ventilators like other hospitals have.

For most people, it's not a big deal. For the few it is, it's overwhelming for the healthcare system.

The goal is to slow the spread so the healthcare system can keep up, and hopefully less people die because they have enough ventilators and oxygen to match demand.

Keep in mind breathing assistance aside, when healthcare workers inevitable get this, they are sent home for two weeks. So not only will there be overloaded hospitals with not enough equipment to go around, but they will be understaffed at the same time.

most definitely see THAT aspect of it. What I don’t understand is the hoarding of TP and such. I wish I could have gotten my hands on 2 masks for each member of my family, but if it gets that bad, we have old tshirts to wipe our fanny with and wash, and bandannas to cover the holes on our heads (Not to mention the military gas masks. LOL! (hubs is Army)).
Oddly enough, what’s left at our food stores are fruits and veggies, and the beer/wine aisles are fully stocked. (They’re doing it all wrong! ?)

I did pick up four gallons of 12% LC yesterday at Menards. Why? Just to have since this will be my first opening this spring. Trying to not panic, but prefer to be prepared. No personal experience to draw upon, but certainly appreciate the direction of TFP. The LC was dated 20048 so I assume it is 2/17/20. $3.99 a gallon.

have you put your numbers into the calculator for a SLAM to see how much bleach/LC might be needed for such? At 10k gallons with a CYA of 40, thats one gallon of 12% just for the initial dose. If you currently have merky water, those 4 gallons might be cutting it close for a full cycle of one SLAM.
If this is your first year, I’d suggest getting a dozen gallons to ensure you’re not in the frenzy. If all goes perfectly and you don’t have to SLAM at opening or even ever this year, your worst case scenario at having some LC on-hand that has lost a bit of its potency. But you’ll still use it all this summer. (I’m no expert, so certainly take the advice of others here if they say otherwise.)

Reactions: JW1
If this is your first year, I’d suggest getting a dozen gallons to ensure you’re not in the frenzy. If all goes perfectly and you don’t have to SLAM at opening or even ever this year, your worst case scenario at having some LC on-hand that has lost a bit of its potency. But you’ll still use it all this summer. (I’m no expert, so certainly take the advice of others here if they say otherwise.)
Our pool is almost double your size. We had to SLAM when we opened last year (hoping we don't have to this year) and went through A LOT of liquid chlorine! A LOT!!! So today I went to Menards and bought six cases (24 one gallon jugs) of the 12.5% chlorine anticipating a SLAM when we open in a couple weeks. Any leftover will, as you said, get used into the summer. Mfg date was 48th day of 2020 so it's fresh. We store it in the basement where it's cool and dark.

Reactions: JW1
Here in Bremen GA toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and oddly enough ground beef is gone. WHO BOUGHT ALL THE GROUND BEEF???

in pool news, Wallyworld has 10% chlorine but online orders are limited to just one jug. Who buys just one jug of pool chlorine?

The world has gone mad, I say!!! MAD!!!

Reactions: markayash
Here in Bremen GA toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and oddly enough ground beef is gone. WHO BOUGHT ALL THE GROUND BEEF??
Know what is untouched in all the stores up here ? Taco supplies. Not one box missing in the El Paso section. I guess Taco Tuesday is suspended until the TP shortage is worked out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.