Bleach v corona virus - backup plan?

I’m so sorry that you read my comment that way. It was certainly not intended. My point was that the ‘idiots’ were overstocking perishables. It’s one thing to buy a gallon or two of milk. 12 gallons ? Notsomuch.
My inlaws are in their late 80's. Highly functional, but ....well...old. Dad uses portable oxygen for breathing treatments at bedtime because he's ....well...old.
There are thousands upon thousands of seniors just like them that have no choice but to hunker down and self-sequester themselves, as any exposure to the virus could be extremely serious....in some cases, fatal. My wife indeed stalked up on staples for them as they want as little outside exposure as possible until this blows over...and no one knows at this point when that will be. We may make light of it, but there is a whole segment of the population out there that are most at risk and are pretty scared. Because of the overall uncertainty that exists, stalking up on food and other necessities so they can to limit their possible exposure to the virus makes sense to me.
Regardless, I certainly don't think it qualifies them as 'idiots'.

whay I think makes them Id10t is these are 30 year olds buying 4 cases ( around 150 rolls of TP )so the ones who can’t stand in line for 2 hours go without. My parents live in assisted living and they are basically on lockdown, hope they have a good stock of supplies.
I am sorry that’s just wrong, they would rather see their neighbor go without while you have 150 rolls?

I took today off and still had to getup at 6:30am and be on 6 hours of conference calls on the coronavirus... then when I was done with that fun I ran to the store and saw the madness including one dude in a full blown hazmat uniform... idiots, idiots everywhere.

Reactions: markayash
Point taken. No doubt there are countless examples of people being rediculous.

My point (and personal experience) was merely that before we so quickly judge that person with 4 packages of tp and 8 gallons of milk, consider that its entirely possible that some are buying supplies for others that can't.
Looking at her cart, I'm sure some thought my wife was one of those selfish idiots, though most everything was for other people....her parents and the elderly couple next door to them.

Dead horse beaten...Lets get back to pools!

Lets all stay well, I think the next week or so will tell us how bad it will be.. My company sent us home remote and said the " experts" said expect 6 weeks. Another friends company said work from home till June 1st so they are planing ahead. Lets hope it pays off :)

Going to hurt the economy in Atlanta for sure, March madness was not open to ticket holders last I heard. masters was postponed..Big NASCAR race also postponed..So a lot of Businesses were hoping for a BIG weekend and now nothing.
I heard Mercedes Benz was expecting 80K for one game!

My local grocery store is completely wiped out of regular bleach because they had a sale on it (which is super dumb, considering people buying it up anyways due to the coronavirus!) so I’m in the same boat as many are. I live in Ohio so I highly doubt it was pool people buying it up, especially in mid-March! Hopefully people will calm down soon. I have less than a gallon left and really don’t want to have to switch to trichlor pucks considering my CYA is already 50! Ughhhh

I live in Ohio so I highly doubt it was pool people buying it up, especially in mid-March! Hopefully people will calm down soon. I have less than a gallon left and really don’t want to have to switch to trichlor pucks considering my CYA is already 50! Ughhhh
I'll have to go check Walmart soon. I'm almost out of bleach for our spa. We peaked at about a gallon of 6% every two weeks before we got a puppy...now we're not getting in but hardly once a week.

Do you have pool liquid chlorine available for sale yet in your area? That's what I'll look for, should the Great Value brand be panic sold.

My local grocery store is completely wiped out of regular bleach because they had a sale on it (which is super dumb, considering people buying it up anyways due to the coronavirus!) so I’m in the same boat as many are. I live in Ohio so I highly doubt it was pool people buying it up, especially in mid-March! Hopefully people will calm down soon. I have less than a gallon left and really don’t want to have to switch to trichlor pucks considering my CYA is already 50! Ughhhh

Rather than pucks, look for Cal-Hypo as I’d suspect you’ll feel less of an impact adding calcium verses CYA.

Just went to Walmart and there were three shelves full of Pool Essentials. Plenty of everything actually for the exception of soap, sanitizer and , of course, toilet paper.

Its amazing how quickly stores like Walmart can restock..I heard they have programs that can see a ice storm coming and automatically order items that usually sell out.
The program probably crashed this week..Stuck in a loop of Toilet paper? toilet Paper? Toilet paper???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why? Just practice proper hygiene, hand washing, etc

I have no problems turning the sink on.... it’s the turning those dirty handles off at anyplace that doesn’t have the automatic sinks. And opening the door to leave after. Paper towels are few and far between in public bathrooms and the hand blowers don’t help me

Hand blowers are a hygiene risk aerosolizing moisture and possibly virus and launching it in the air towards you. Hopefully people wise up and replace them with paper towels dispensers.

I have seen people stand by a door and wait until someone comes in to get out. :unsure:

Hi folks.

Out here in the Eastside of Seattle it's kinda crazy with Covid-19.

Last week I went to my nearby Home Depot, and I only found 2 gallons of the Germicidal HDX bleach.

So today I checked their online stock (which usually is reliable). For every store nearby it said, "Low stock, visit store."

I went to a different Home Depot than last week and I was able to get all I needed.

With the sun more overhead, and the water warming up, pool demand will go up.

Just be aware...

Hi folks.

Out here in the Eastside of Seattle it's kinda crazy with Covid-19.

Last week I went to my nearby Home Depot, and I only found 2 gallons of the Germicidal HDX bleach.

So today I checked their online stock (which usually is reliable). For every store nearby it said, "Low stock, visit store."

I went to a different Home Depot than last week and I was able to get all I needed.

With the sun more overhead, and the water warming up, pool demand will go up.

Just be aware...
FYI, the Home Depot that has stock here is the one in Redmond. Lots of the wrong bleach so be careful.

@jseyfert3, look at Maynard's. Here they've already started stocking the SPLASH pool chlorine .... $3.99/gallon (just like last year).
Thanks for the tip! I went to Home Depot and no pool stuff (had to go there anyway so I figured I'd check). Went over to Menard's and sure enough, $3.99 for 12.5%. I think I paid $3-3.50 for Great Value 6% last, so this is a way better deal.

Manufactured 48th day of 2020. I grabbed two cause the 6% lasts a couple weeks and I don't want to store bleach for 6 months. Once we get our pool up but before we get a SWCG that will be a different matter though.

I belted them into the middle seat of my truck. Good thing I did, because I had to slam on my brakes cause someone was pulling out in front of me as I was leaving (they weren't looking) and the other things I had on my front seat flew to the floor.
IMG_20200315_151421742.jpg

Also, on a related note the paper section at the Home Depot only had a few rolls of Scott's shop towels left. Everything else was gone. In the cleaner aisle various types of cleaners were completely gone. I'm assuming all the disinfecting ones but I didn't look close enough to see.
IMG_20200315_144040957.jpg
IMG_20200315_144053558.jpg

Reactions: gonfishin
Just came back from Walmart and there were full shelves of pool chlorine. Maybe close to 100 gallons. Dated 20 013 which is January but not bad. Nothing in the laundry isle. I bought 2 gallons to use for kitchen and laundry and to get ready for cleaning the pool cover and opening soon. Also bought 3 boxes of washing soda.
I had asked the greeter at the door where the pool stuff was at and he said "if they haven't bought it all yet." Well it was hidden behind a bunch of cases of non-pool stuff. I guess the covid19 hoarders have not yet figured it out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.