Bleach v corona virus - backup plan?

I will likely brave Wally-world later today to snatch up some of their 12% in the pool aisle before people catch on that it is bleach. My local pool store leaves their cases of 10% stacked up on pallets outside their store, in direct sunlight all summer, so I don't trust the potency. Even into the late fall last year, every time I drove past there, the leftover cases were still sitting outside the store. I won't chance that I'll be buying old stock so I must go brave the Walmart crowd. I want to make sure I have enough on hand to be ready when I open the pool in a few weeks. My local grocery store actually stocks cases of 10% (4 gallon bottles for just $9.99) and that's where I usually buy it but they won't get it in for a while yet.

@AveMaria472 said-
My local pool store leaves their cases of 10% stacked up on pallets outside their store, in direct sunlight all summer, so I don't trust the potency. Even into the late fall last year, every time I drove past there, the leftover cases were still sitting outside the store. I

You know, you'd be doing them a service if you were to explain to them why what they're doing is wrong, and how you avoid buying their stuff because of how they store it. Tell them that TFP advises folks to avoid that stuff too, and how they may be losing business because people learn about it from us.

Supermarkets and Wallyworld are insane here. 7am or 10pm, no difference. I started in to an HEB at 7am today, and checkout lines were all through the store and around the produce department. I left. It's dangerous to hang around crowds of stupid people who are buying the same stuff they buy for a hurricane! Pavlov is alive and well. The good news is that in a week, everything will be stocked, and people will be a home eating all that stuff they bought this week. I'm just hoping the public hasn't thought about pool stores for chlorine, or I might have to schedule an emergency SWCG installation.

@AveMaria472 said-

You know, you'd be doing them a service if you were to explain to them why what they're doing is wrong, and how you avoid buying their stuff because of how they store it. Tell them that TFP advises folks to avoid that stuff too, and how they may be losing business because people learn about it from us.
I just called the local pool store where they store the palets outside and in the direct sun. I asked if they had "liquid chlorine" in stock. I was surprised the lady even knew what I meant because they usually just consider it "shock" and not liquid chlorine. She said they do have it in stock. I asked her if it was the cases they usually have out front of the store. She said yes. I told her that it shouldn't be stored that way, in direct sunlight and temperature fluctuations, because it loses potency. She actually admitted that she knew that but that they didn't have warehouse space for it. Just to see if she would be honest with me further, I asked her if what they had was leftover stock from last year or fresh product. She said it was leftover and added that it probably wasn't very potent. I was actually floored by her honesty and willingness to admit all of that! I thanked her for being honest and told her that I usually don't buy from them because of how it is stored and that I'd look elsewhere.

Supermarkets and Wallyworld are insane here. 7am or 10pm, no difference. I started in to an HEB at 7am today, and checkout lines were all through the store and around the produce department. I left. It's dangerous to hang around crowds of stupid people who are buying the same stuff they buy for a hurricane! Pavlov is alive and well. The good news is that in a week, everything will be stocked, and people will be a home eating all that stuff they bought this week. I'm just hoping the public hasn't thought about pool stores for chlorine, or I might have to schedule an emergency SWCG installation.

I'm up near Spring, and it's about the same. At this point, people are bulk-buying things that don't even make sense. Watched them re-stock eggs this morning, and people rushed them, grabbing 10-20 dozen eggs. Bizarre. If I ran one of these markets, I'd probably lock up all of the carts and hand out hand baskets and bags. "You can buy it if you can carry it out." (consideration given to elderly and handicapped, of course).

I bought 3 containers of bleach at pinch a penny last weekend and they had plenty. No idea what it's like now.

I'm up near Spring, and it's about the same. At this point, people are bulk-buying things that don't even make sense. Watched them re-stock eggs this morning, and people rushed them, grabbing 10-20 dozen eggs. Bizarre. If I ran one of these markets, I'd probably lock up all of the carts and hand out hand baskets and bags. "You can buy it if you can carry it out." (consideration given to elderly and handicapped, of course).

I bought 3 containers of bleach at pinch a penny last weekend and they had plenty. No idea what it's like now.

I call it Nemo Bird disease " Mine Mine MIne"

Some supermarkets in the UK have applied restrictions on the number of basic items now due to panic buyers emptying shelves as if the perfect storm was arriving tomorrow.
All blow out of proportion now. All gone crazy.
I wish Costco would start doing this. Our local Costco is sold completely out of all paper goods and water.

Attachments

• 20200228_200018.jpg
    20200228_200018.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200228_211718.jpg
    20200228_211718.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 20

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We purchase one large toilet paper pack at a time from Costco. I feel no need to buy more as I believe this is more of a respiratory disease rather than gastro
There is *some* need. My 4 person family will all be home soon indefinitely and using the bathroom exclusively at home instead of school/work all day. If I happen to be out and need a restroom I imagine I will take my chances ‘holding it’ until I get back home.

Aha, you do make a good point that I surely didn't consider. :unsure:

I just read Tori Spelling gossip where she panicked as they have 5 young children and only ONE ROLL of TP.
<eye roll> Really? That was a problem in planning weeks ago if you ask me! Now she's saying she can't find any?
Can you feel my sympathy??? :sneaky:

There's the old joke that get's passed around all the time when poor weather hits about everybody buying milk, bread, and eggs. I always respond that the true pro's however instead head towards the TP.

Toilet paper is a rather fast moving item that’s a pain for distributors along with water. It’s not surprising to me that both items are leaving the shelves quickly. Toilet paper can be a pain to ship due to its size (no way to concentrate like you would Tide Pods) and you can only fit so much into a truck. Water on the other hand can be difficult due to its weight, only so many pounds allowed per truck.

As a plus I’d suspect these outages will be short lived. If pop tarts however become impossible, get worried!

There's the old joke that get's passed around all the time when poor weather hits about everybody buying milk, bread, and eggs. I always respond that the true pro's however instead head towards the TP.

Toilet paper is a rather fast moving item that’s a pain for distributors along with water. It’s not surprising to me that both items are leaving the shelves quickly. Toilet paper can be a pain to ship due to its size (no way to concentrate like you would Tide Pods) and you can only fit so much into a truck. Water on the other hand can be difficult due to its weight, only so many pounds allowed per truck.

As a plus I’d suspect these outages will be short lived. If pop tarts however become impossible, get worried!

The problem is the 80 year old lady down the road, who isn't panic shopping and may just want to buy a 2 pack, can't find any because some Id10T bought 6 cases and they are sitting in his basement :)
People and trending are insane IMHO..Follow the leader panic shopping

Reactions: borjis
I had no problem getting Cl from the local Wally world. But the TP stocks were gone! I have this theory... everyone is buying TP because now they have to telecommute and will have to hide out in their own bathrooms to avoid work....

Here's a pic of the pasta aisle from our local Food Ghetto as we like to call the WinCo.. the only thing left are manicotti tubes and lasagna... I guess the zombie apocalypse don't like manicotti and lasagna!
20200313_122642[1].jpg

Reactions: markayash
Guess I should consider going to the store. I have something like 4 months worth of MRE style food, three different cooking fuels, the Gulf of Mexico for protein...

Thinking I need to try a bidet. This whole TP thing seems so uncivilized. But my pressure washer may be needed for wed am. (Post taco Tuesday)....hmm.

That’s what I heard too. Idiots buying a full cart of bread, eggs and milk.

My inlaws are in their late 80's. Highly functional, but ....well...old. Dad uses portable oxygen for breathing treatments at bedtime because he's ....well...old.
There are thousands upon thousands of seniors just like them that have no choice but to hunker down and self-sequester themselves, as any exposure to the virus could be extremely serious....in some cases, fatal. My wife indeed stalked up on staples for them as they want as little outside exposure as possible until this blows over...and no one knows at this point when that will be. We may make light of it, but there is a whole segment of the population out there that are most at risk and are pretty scared. Because of the overall uncertainty that exists, stalking up on food and other necessities so they can to limit their possible exposure to the virus makes sense to me.
Regardless, I certainly don't think it qualifies them as 'idiots'.

Last edited:
At any rate, I cetainly don't consider them 'idiots'.
I’m so sorry that you read my comment that way. It was certainly not intended. My point was that the ‘idiots’ were overstocking perishables. It’s one thing to buy a gallon or two of milk. 12 gallons ? Notsomuch.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.