Bleach shortage

Sure do miss the days where you took your yellow 2.5 Gallon jugs for refills down to Pinch a Penny (or the Mom/Pop) pool store in Seminole/Clearwater FL...and paid about $2.75 for the entire refill. Circa 2008. I got tired of lugging/spilling jugs, so I got an SWG and use 73% CALHYPO (long shelf life, individual sealed 1 pound bags kept in a dry locker box)..... I have found in the last three years here in So. MD consistently that if I SLAM when I open the pool in April, and just keep an eye on maintaining the correct CL levels with the SWG till the Fall...my pool is perfect all season. Between the SLAM, SWG, and the Pool Cleaner...it's a breeze. I also do a SLAM before the cover goes on, and the water is clear next Spring when the cover comes off. Just have to keep an eye on the Calcium level...but so far no issues (I'm at about 325 right now). Drain and Rain over the winter keep me in good shape.

Forget bleach shortage. Anyone in the Eastern US try to get gas today? Panic buying like it is toilet paper in March 2020. Memphis isn't even serviced by that gas pipeline but idiots were lined up into the road like the gas was free or something.

I usually buy 2-3 cases of 10% LC at Rural King or Ollie's when I go. We average 2-3 gallons per week in the heat of the summer. When we opened the pool this year we tried to buy 4 cases ($2.99/gal) for the initial SLAM and then to maintain for a while and Ollie's had a limit on 10 bottles per visit. Last week I went to RK to purchase 2 cases and they would only let me buy one (4 bottles) at $2.79 per gallon. When I asked why, the lady said that pool companies were coming in and wiping them out because of the chlorine shortage so they had to put a limit on it to deter the pool companies so that regular consumers had the chance to buy some.

This whole gas thing is stupid. We were running at the high school track yesterday and the daily train came by. ELEVEN engines (most I've ever seen), pulling 81 fuel tankers headed East. The gas is still there, but every one of our local stations just outside of Huntsville are dry except for diesel. We are supposed to pressure wash the house and pool patio this weekend, but considering I can't even get Ethanol-Free gas right now, it may get pushed to the back burner. My truck is a diesel, so at least we can still use it until people come back to their senses.

My local walmart had a 2 gallon limit of 7.5% from the start of pandemic but in the last couple months have removed the limit. Last summer I went through around 3 or 4 gallons a week. They seem to have the normal amount of product on the shelf when I picked some up last week (with a 4/21 production date which seems good) so it's gonna be really annoying if the supply dries up soon. I do have a 5 gallon bucket of pucks that the previous owner had recently purchased before I bought the house last year. They've been sitting in my shed unused. I can use them as a backup I guess but they've been sitting in the heat and cold over the last year so hopefully that doesn't degrade them too much.

Last edited:
I just bought 10 gallons of Walmart 10%. Check out person didn't even bat an eye <shrug>

Tons of Pool Essentials 10% at both Wally's I usually frequent. Definitely gonna have to get on top of my SWG, salt, and leaf maintenance cause I'd hate to have to do a SLAM / Yellow Mustard again with the shortage coming.

Reactions: KJB1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.