Blank canvas in Laughlin, NV.

Thanks Brian, I figured just by looking at it that water might somehow find it's way behind the mortar and cause some kind of damage.
So I will be doing the waterproofing too. Question is: what is a good waterproofing membrane?
My local HD has redgard that does waterproofing and crack prevention, it looks kinda pricey but if it works....
This is another ah-ha moment in my DIY pool building adventure. If I would've let the, "pro's" do my tile, they would've skipped the whole waterproofing step and just slapped on the tile. Sure they would've probably done it quickly and professionally but then in a few years I'd be, well...:brickwall:
Oh and Thanks Kim...:D

I've seen people use Redguard and it will probably work but I never used it on a pool. I like Super Blokade by Merlex and you should be able to order it from Home Depot.

Hello again, I just missed my first major pool disaster!:pale:
I'm 99% sure I missed drilling into my spa pipes by probably 1-2"!
I was originally going to cut back seats of the spa by about 6", looking at pre-shotcrete photos and the newest photos, it looked like I had at least 8" of space to cut back 6". Well, since my previous career was in professional graphics, I decided to superimpose an old pre-shotcrete photo over the top of a new photo. Once I got everything alligned I noticed that the lower pipes were askewed to the left. If I would've started drilling pilot holes 6" from the edge I would've definitely punctured the pipes and, well, let's just say it wouldn't have been a good day at the Georgi's household.
So after further review I have come up with an alternative plan which still involves concrete work, but it will be less grayhairy (More soon)
Anyway, waterproof membrane going on the waterline and beyond in the next week. Shooting for finished tile by end of this month.
FYI: Officially been physically working on this pool for over a year now.
(Better call Guinness Book of World Records.)

IMG_20180907_102946359.jpg

Laid out the tile for the back of the pool, sorrted them, numbered them and now they are ready.
Working on getting the spa face tile in their proper order tomorrow!

IMG_20180907_102952479.jpg

Here's the other end...lol

:shock: What made you even think to do that? Man that was a close call! Glad you have the skills to find that info out! That would not have been fun :(

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how you laid out those tiles. That is purrfect! How many did you have to put here or there to get it looking that good?

Can't wait to hear what you have come up with for the fix that is less grayhairy! That pool will be worth it when it is done but seems a long way off...............I am sure it seems even longer to you!

Kim:kim:

Waterproofing stuff today...

contentRedirection

:super:

What are you using for water proofing?

It's called Super Thoroseal Masonry Waterproofer...I was afraid of using a paint based waterproofer. This is a concrete based product and seems like its going to do the job.
Used one five gallon bucket today, have one more, to do the spa and a second coat...First few batches were too dry not enough water and it was pretty hard to put on. Found the right consistency about an hour in...
I think that my tile thinset has a waterproofer in it too, but i'd rather the do safe thing now, than have my tile popping off in a year...

Side note: The thing that has me flustered right now is hanging the masonite guide boards on the wall. I've tried all sorts of different things. Even bought a hammer drill this morning, pre drilled a hole then tried to screw in some tapcon concrete screws and they just spun. i know, ask google...:confused:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Next question.:D
Is there a set size for tile spacing?
When I did the layout for the waterline tiles, I just laid them down next to each other.

attachment.php

I've been watching pool tile installation videos and NONE of the installers use spacers.
When we chose our grout color we took grout sample sticks that were a set size. like:
forest-acorn-sample-1000.jpg

ARE THESE SAMPLE STICKS TOO BIG FOR GROUT LINES FOR MY 6X6 TILES?
Is there a standard for grout size on waterline pool tile? Or is it just another personal decision I have to make?:confused:

Thanks Brian, I'll be looking at it tomorrow!

Just realized by looking at this picture, i have to re-sort a couple of tiles!
The third row from the bottom, the two blue tiles are the same pattern, just rotated. Too close to each other!
As are the blue tiles on the 5th row from the bottom.
(I probably already fixed it, but that is just not acceptable! LOL

attachment.php

LOL you will be moving tiles until they are on the wall THEN still see a couple that could have been moved! They look wonderful like they are! No one else will even notice! All they will see is the wonderful pool as a whole while they are enjoying all of your hard work!

Kim:kim:

Okay, so I am working like a tortoise, but doesn't the tortoise beat the :rabbit: in the long run?
Anyway, here are a few pix from my tiling project. My phone is trying to catch up to the rest of the world so these are from my wife's phone.

02.jpg

01.jpg

tile guy.jpg

I have about 20 feet of waterline tile to do in the pool. Then it's time to do a little bit of tile cutting.

More when my phone listens to me....

Sheesh, no update from me since October? Well then. Pool still doesn't have water in it! I've finished most of the pool tile, now I'm in the process of re-finding subs to pour my deck. Deck step lights just about done, deck drains in. Probably one more day to finish reshaping spa. (Went from two steps into spa, now have three steps into spa which opens up the bottom considerably.) Also have to install ledger stone to face of spa before deck is poured.
My goal is to be done before family comes out end of April. I decided to cut some time off the pool build by doing the landscaping later.

next major events:
DECK
PLASTER

Pictures will be coming here in a bit...
Have a great weekend!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.