Black and coral specs in hot tub (possibly from heater)

Rle015001

Aug 25, 2018
O’Fallon MO
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
I used my wave blaster to clean my in ground hot tub and I have the following sitting on the seat and bottom. Pool is shut off in winter and we keep the hot tub open. I presume it has something to do with unbalanced chemicals eating at the copper tubing in my heater. Can anyone tell me what this is and how to stop it from ocurring?
Thanks
Robert L

Attachments

• 5F5E1C70-E56C-4685-9C58-BF025B113EB8.jpeg
    5F5E1C70-E56C-4685-9C58-BF025B113EB8.jpeg
    524.3 KB · Views: 15
How do you chlorinate the water? Your one and only Poolmath entry was from 10 months ago. What has the pH been recently?

Looks like a copper heat exchanger coming apart to me. Be ready to bypass it when it starts to leak.

How do you chlorinate the water? Your one and only Poolmath entry was from 10 months ago. What has the pH been recently?

Looks like a copper heat exchanger coming apart to me. Be ready to bypass it when it starts to leak.
Intellichlor system from pentair chlorinates the water. Chlorine set to 0% and at times we may set it to 1% to get the chlorine levels up. we hadn’t check the chemicals for almost a month back in December and that is when it started. Ph is good now. The chemicals were out of whack back then. what happens if the heat exchanger starts to leak? Not sure how to bypass it. Also, is it safe to use it?

thanks

Last edited:
If you have used a SWCG and no trichlor, your pH should not have been low. So you may luck out and that may be scale. Get some of it and put a drop of acid on it and see if it fizzes.

Muriatic is what most of us have around pools. Vinegar will even work if it is scale. Just will not fizz as much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.