Black Algae on 50%+ of Pebble Tech Pool

Jan 29, 2015
FL
I have a 16,000 gallon pool that has what appears to be a pretty sever infestation of black algae. I have read through all the advice and articles on how to scrub and scrub along with high FC and water balance etc. I have several questions / issues:

1. Does the process on the site as described actually get rid of black algae? Or does it simply beat it into submission only for it to return any time the chems get a little out of wack. In other words do I have this forever? Many areas of the net claim the only way to truly get rid of it is a replaster, is this true?

2. My pool is pebble tech and is already very over exposed, this has really created a breeding ground. The pool is difficult to effectively brush. It is rectangular with entrances at each end and the deepest position in the center. There is also a sitting shelf traveling around the entire edge of the pool and tying into the 2nd of the 3 steps at each end. The black algae is covering approx 50% of the pools surface. It covers all steps and the entire shelf and both shallow ends. A large planter box with waterfalls runs along the back edge of the pool. This configuration means brushing the pool is difficult (especially the sides) as you have the sitting self running the entire length of the pool, you loose all leverage and are working 2-3 feet out in-front of your body as you must clear the shelf. Also the box running along the back edge of the pool means you cannot access that side of the pool at all with out being in the water. In this position you it is very hard to access the shelf itself and the wall above the shelf. Given the size of the issue and the configuration I am wondering if it would simply be a better idea to drain the pool so I could get at everything directly. Because the pool is already so overexposed I don't think an acid wash is feasible without really starting to cause some damage to the surface. but perhaps I could scrub the algae directly with some hardcore liquid chlorine, pressure wash, repeat? I am wondering if this would work? I could then do a clean fill and continue to shock.

3. I did read that chlorine dioxide is lipid soluble and therefore is better at penetrating the waxy coating that this stuff putts out and it is better at killing it. Any truth to this? If so I am wondering if it would be wise to dilute this in liquid first and use it to scrub the dry pool surface.

If there is anything else someone can think of that might work, please suggest.

I suspect your planter box with the waterfall could be a breeding ground for the algae problems you have.

Show us pics of your pool so we can see your situation.

Does the process on the site as described actually get rid of black algae? Or does it simply beat it into submission only for it to return any time the chems get a little out of wack

Unfortunately that’s my experience with black algae. I have a few areas on my marble sheen pool that get it whenever the water gets warm. I can’t seem to beat it.

The black algae removal process seems akin to me to sweeping up leaves, as opposed to a decisive cure.

Last edited:
Black algae is persistent but not unbeatable. I have had a bought and now I keep my FC on the high side as protection and I have no problems. If you let your FC drop it will come back. If you are good about keeping your ratios you can live without it forever.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.