Big rip in vinyl liner, not sure what to do for winter.

Danny56

Jul 25, 2019
Illinois
I have a 10k galloon above ground pool with a vinyl liner. When I was vacuuming it today the liner ripped between the ground and the pool wall, and a lot of water came gushing out. So far I out a towel over the about 8 inch rip in the liner. I wanted to winterize it tomorrow, but now that it's leaking pretty badly, I don't want to bother putting on the cover. Is it okay if I leave my pool uncovered for the winter? The liner is shot and I don't care what happens to it, I am just worried about the pool walls and the structure of the pool itself. It does snow here and it can get down to 0 degrees. The liner is 8 years old so I want a new one, I am just wondering if I can hold off until the spring? If not, any ideas on what else I can do??

If you could patch it to prevent leaking/ sand washout over the winter that would be the way to go. Otherwise it will drain itself in places you don’t want it to go. Can you just drain & install a new liner now? Not sure if you’re in northern Illinois or southern Illinois. Obviously temps are a concern.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.