Better to take down and store, or leave up and winterize

rj2222

Jun 11, 2012
Michigan
Have had Intex, Bestway, etc. type AGP for a long time. I've always taken them down for the winter and stored in a shed and I can get almost a decade out of them with some hole patching here and there.
How long would the pool last generally speaking if left outside during Midwest winters? Just wondering if the hassle of taking down and putting back up annually is truly worth it or not.
Thanks for your thoughts.

This debate will rage on long past our time. Rust is the typical downfall of these pools, particularly at pinch points where 2 pieces rub. Reassembling them and storing the tubes in a big pile creates more scratches to rust. Leaving them outside put together gives them 6 months more in the elements to rust.

There is no clear winner.

However, what I notice by me is folks get their first pool and the first year or two, they take it down. Then they stop dealing with the headache and it lasts however long it lasts after that.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Kinda figured that might be the answer I'd get :)
After way too many years of disassembling experience, I've gotten good at storing without scratching things or tearing up liners, but just wondering how long other people's pools last when they leave them up all year.
Figure winterizing which I've never done has to be less intense than a teardown ha

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.