Best SWG for Hot Tub?

duganderson

Jan 26, 2021
Minneapolis
I'm thinking making the switch to SWG. I'm leaning toward getting the SmarterSpa model ($385 on Ebay right now and about $430 on Amazon). Are there any models that you think I should consider instead? I would like a model that self adjusts (waits to run until FC drops to a low level) like the SmarterSpa if you think the self adjusting models work well.

Thank you, Doug

With your location be advised that the smarter spa requires a weatherproof enclosure that is protected from temps below 14 degrees for its controller. The saltron mini doesn’t have these limitations.
I personally don’t trust anything that magically measures your chlorine for u & doses accordingly. However i can see how it might be appealing in certain circumstances. I keep my mini on a timer that comes on multiple times a day so i can fine tune it’s output to my needs - that seems to be plenty of automation for me. If u get one let us know how u like it as there aren’t many here with one.

Reactions: duganderson
With your location be advised that the smarter spa requires a weatherproof enclosure that is protected from temps below 14 degrees for its controller. The saltron mini doesn’t have these limitations.

Thank you for the heads up about the issues with cold weather. Definitely a potential issue where I live (Minnesota).

I was aware of the temperature sensitivity of the power supply. I plan to mount it in the main compartment with the pumps, heater, etc. My sense is that most power supplies are at risk for problems in extreme cold and that the manufacturer of this SWG is just trying to be honest and clear about this; however, I'm guessing its possible that the saltron mini uses a more cold protected power supply.

The controller with the screen, buttons, etc. willl be mounted in my hot tub TV cabinet so it will be protected from the elements but not the cold. Do you know if the controller is sensitive to cold too OR just the power supply?

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thank you for the heads up about the issues with cold weather. Definitely a potential issue where I live (Minnesota).

I was aware of the temperature sensitivity of the power supply. I plan to mount it in the main compartment with the pumps, heater, etc. My sense is that most power supplies are at risk for problems in extreme cold and that the manufacturer of this SWG is just trying to be honest and clear about this; however, I'm guessing its possible that the saltron mini uses a more cold protected power supply.

The controller with the screen, buttons, etc. willl be mounted in my hot tub TV cabinet so it will be protected from the elements but not the cold. Do you know if the controller is sensitive to cold too OR just the power supply?
Some reviews mentioned the controller- like it was stated in the manual.

I have only worked on one swg in a spa. It was an aftermarket inline install, and may have been meant for a pool. I have never seen such corroded, ate up equipment in my 26 years in this business. Even the circuit board in it's box looked like a shipwreck relic.
As a result, I do not recommend them for a spa. For those of you who like them, more power to you my friends. I am happy if you are happy. But, honestly, I don't really like them on a pool either. So maybe I'm not the guy to ask... :unsure:

I had the older smart spa inline version and it worked great.. I used it for 3 years and it went down well below 0 degrees on multiple days (not as cold as you get up there) :) I kept the power supply inside the cabinet, no issues... I could have upgraded to the sense one but did not..

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.