Mineral Wells, MS
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Would like to learn some concepts on pump and SWG run time. If you know of a post already please post that. I could not find any that were specific. I also check out pool school.

1. Best time of day to run pump / SWG. (When the sun is out, night dusk)
2. Looking for a tool to tell me how many times my pool turns over when running a 1 HP pump in a 18k pool.
3. Running SWG at a lower % or higher % vs pump run time. Anything worth noting?
4. I have read that pointing jets down at 45° in the same direction is best for moving water. Also looking stair jets up to keep steps clear. Thoughts on this advice?
5. Any other question worth asking that would help me learn some concepts of water movement?

1. Best time of day to run pump / SWG. (When the sun is out, night dusk)
Does not really matter. Run the pump at the best time to skim the surface. Or lowest electric rate. Or 24 hours per day. Your choice.
2. Looking for a tool to tell me how many times my pool turns over when running a 1 HP pump in a 18k pool.
Turnover is a myth. The pump is used to skim the surface, and in your case, create your chlorine.
3. Running SWG at a lower % or higher % vs pump run time. Anything worth noting?
Again, your choice. Some like to run the pump alot (with a VS pump the cost is negligible) or those with SS pumps that cost a lot to run like to run them less.
4. I have read that pointing jets down at 45° in the same direction is best for moving water. Also looking stair jets up to keep steps clear. Thoughts on this advice?
Most like to create a swirl effect in the pool with the pump running to push debris past the skimmer. Steps you will need to brush occasionally as any pool cleaner, even a robot, will not clean steps.
5. Any other question worth asking that would help me learn some concepts of water movement?
You asked the main ones. If this is a new pool, get a Variable speed motor and pump.

J,

The whole idea of a water "turnover" is a myth and just not true.. The number of times your water passes through the filter has nothing to do with keeping your water algae free..

If you have a single speed pump then you want to run your pump for as short a period of time as you can. This means running your cell at 100% or at least at a high percentage.

Without knowing what size SWCG you have it would be impossible to tell you how long to run your pump to generate the chlorine your pool will need..

Thanks,

Jim R.

J,

The whole idea of a water "turnover" is a myth and just not true.. The number of times your water passes through the filter has nothing to do with keeping your water algae free..

If you have a single speed pump then you want to run your pump for as short a period of time as you can. This means running your cell at 100% or at least at a high percentage.

Without knowing what size SWCG you have it would be impossible to tell you how long to run your pump to generate the chlorine your pool will need..

Thanks,

Jim R.
T-15 and an 18k pool

Does not really matter. Run the pump at the best time to skim the surface. Or lowest electric rate. Or 24 hours per day. Your choice.

Turnover is a myth. The pump is used to skim the surface, and in your case, create your chlorine.

Again, your choice. Some like to run the pump alot (with a VS pump the cost is negligible) or those with SS pumps that cost a lot to run like to run them less.

Most like to create a swirl effect in the pool with the pump running to push debris past the skimmer. Steps you will need to brush occasionally as any pool cleaner, even a robot, will not clean steps.

You asked the main ones. If this is a new pool, get a Variable speed motor and pump.
Thanks! VS pump is variable speed what is ss? Same speed?

J,

Your cell will produce about 9 ppm of FC per day when run at 100% and 24 hours.. That is about .38 ppm per hour.

Most pools use about 3 ppm a day plus or minus 1 ppm..

To add 3 ppm of FC to your pool means your pump will have to run for about 8 hours with the cell set at 100%.. With a VS pump, I suggest that you set the cell for 50% and run the pump for 16 hours..

As a reference, I run my pump 24/7, because I like to generate a little chlorine all the time and because I like to continuously skim.. The cost to run an IntelliFlo at 1200 rpm, which turns on my salt cell, is less than $20 bucks a month... Running 24/7 is not required and just something I like to do.. Run your pump the way you want to meet your needs..

As another reference, this time of year, my cell is running at about 25%.. I will have to increase that as the summer gets here.

Make sure you keep your CYA and FC levels per the saltwater section of this chart.. FC/CYA Levels

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Jschway
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.