Best pool deck material for kids and Arizona sun???

Winter247

Bronze Supporter
Sep 12, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I'm in the design phase for my OB pool and I can't land on a decision about what to use for pool decking. I'm not too concerned with the cost. My issues are:

1. Slip resistant. I need something that won't be too slippery with kids around the pool.

2. Not too hot. I'm in Phoenix, Arizona (so I realize every material will get hot) but I'd like to spare a few burned feet if possible.

I love the look of travertine and some of the natural stone options, but I keep finding posts about how slippery it is. The pool with be geometric and straight lines... on the more modern side. I know Kool deck is typical, but I really don't like the look of it. Plus that standard beige would look odd against our grey toned house. Concrete pavers would be too hot, plus we already have a ton of pavers around the rest of the backyard. I've read marbella pavers are decently cooler than most options, but I'm not sure about the availability or the color options. Suppliers websites are lacking detail and I don't know anyone who has them. Just looking for a high-end quality pool deck that isn't too slippery and isn't too hot. I've searched extensively on this, but can't seem to find anything definitive.

In addition, I've also considered doing composite wood for part of the deck near the spa that will be under a pergola, but I'm a little nervous it won't hold up in the AZ sun even with partial shade. Thoughts???

I would GREATLY APPRECIATE any insight from people who love their non-slip decks! :)

Also if anyone in Arizona has suggestions for places to actually go see some options, I'm all ears!

Have you thought about just standard grey brushed concrete. Slip resistant, will match your grey tones, you can do some geometric designs to match your pool such as diamond control joints, and lighter in color so it will pick up less heat than other decking options.

I live in Las Vegas and decided to go with a porcelain paver. I have a 5 year old daughter and will have plenty of kids over, so we had similar concerns as yours.

Most of the hard scapes companies here in town had MSI porcelain pavers, which were nice, but our PB showed us this brand Kronos and we loved them. They have a very good selection of products and the materials look even better in person. Coping options are available as well.

Speaking of wood, we did the raised fire pit in the wood option they have.

Attachments

• 24075542-074C-443B-A9CD-18FBB9CEEA2A.jpeg
    24075542-074C-443B-A9CD-18FBB9CEEA2A.jpeg
    752.1 KB · Views: 175
  • 376C90DE-ADD4-43F8-862A-DFD35D950703.jpeg
    376C90DE-ADD4-43F8-862A-DFD35D950703.jpeg
    649.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 1E751D0D-FEDF-4EC1-94B7-12EAE8811D0F.jpeg
    1E751D0D-FEDF-4EC1-94B7-12EAE8811D0F.jpeg
    595.6 KB · Views: 180
  • E5029F60-7263-4084-8327-D10D012B2AA4.jpeg
    E5029F60-7263-4084-8327-D10D012B2AA4.jpeg
    364.6 KB · Views: 178
Reactions: Winter247
We chose light gray concrete pavers (technically color is called white) and while they get warmer than travertine in my test, they are noticeable cooler than regular concrete. They are absolutely not slippery.

I wanted flat black beach pebble rocks to contrast and bought some at the hardware store. They were pickup so I didn’t touch them instore. At home we realized the bags were so hot. We put them in shade outside to cool off. They were still hot in the evening and it wasn’t a hot day. I knew then I could not use them in the backyard because they would be in areas pets could walk on. I chose a different pebble instead.

Edit: Want to add we have travertine coping and the small dog likes laying on it in the sun. He does not do that on cement.

Last edited:
Have you thought about just standard grey brushed concrete. Slip resistant, will match your grey tones, you can do some geometric designs to match your pool such as diamond control joints, and lighter in color so it will pick up less heat than other decking options.
Yeah, it's one of the options I've considered. I guess I'm still worried it'll be too hot. It'll be getting full AZ sun all day. It's not off the table, but I'm hoping to find a better option.

I live in Las Vegas and decided to go with a porcelain paver. I have a 5 year old daughter and will have plenty of kids over, so we had similar concerns as yours.

Most of the hard scapes companies here in town had MSI porcelain pavers, which were nice, but our PB showed us this brand Kronos and we loved them. They have a very good selection of products and the materials look even better in person. Coping options are available as well.

Speaking of wood, we did the raised fire pit in the wood option they have.

First off, I LOVE your design! Visually amazing. Deck, tile, layout... outstanding. Are you still in the construction phase? Or have you been able to put water on the decking yet and see how slippery it gets?

I looked at a few MSI porcelain pavers. There's some beautiful options, but of the ones I saw, they still seem like a slip hazard. I know MSI has facilities all over the U.S. so maybe I just need to get my hands on some other samples.

I'll definitely check out Kronos. Thanks!!

We chose light gray concrete pavers (technically color is called white) and while they get warmer than travertine in my test, they are noticeable cooler than regular concrete. They are absolutely not slippery.

I wanted flat black beach pebble rocks to contrast and bought some at the hardware store. They were pickup so I didn’t touch them instore. At home we realized the bags were so hot. We put them in shade outside to cool off. They were still hot in the evening and it wasn’t a hot day. I knew then I could not use them in the backyard because they would be in areas pets could walk on. I chose a different pebble instead.

Edit: Want to add we have travertine coping and the small dog likes laying on it in the sun. He does not do that on cement.
Thanks for the input. Are your pavers standard size? Any specific brand? Only asking because we already have a lot of grey and charcoal colored pavers throughout the backyard. I feel like it'll be overkill if we had more grey pavers. Unless they were much lighter and maybe larger, or a different pattern?

Is your travertine coping sealed? I see you have salt water, which is the direction we're leaning. Just seen a few post about salt water eating away at un-sealed travertine. Not sure how accurate that is though.

We got cool deck. We have been to friend’s with travertine plus our neighborhood pool has it and it is hot and slippery. There is a huge difference walking on the deck and stepping onto the patio that doesn’t have the texture on it. I can handle the heat on the cool deck but not the bare concrete. We have a paver driveway and there is no way I would put that around my pool. Friends did and I don’t know how they can stand it. The cool deck just disappears to me. I really don’t mind it. I like the safety aspect of it because kids will run. We have marble around our spa and it is so hot and slippery. I’m so glad we didn’t do that for the deck. There is a difference between Kooldeck and cool deck, or acrylic lace. Kooldeck is more expensive and I think only comes in the one tan color. Acrylic lace is what most people use now and it is applied to the concrete like walk texture and they put a special paint on it. It comes in many different colors.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the input. Are your pavers standard size? Any specific brand? Only asking because we already have a lot of grey and charcoal colored pavers throughout the backyard. I feel like it'll be overkill if we had more grey pavers. Unless they were much lighter and maybe larger, or a different pattern?

Is your travertine coping sealed? I see you have salt water, which is the direction we're leaning. Just seen a few post about salt water eating away at un-sealed travertine. Not sure how accurate that is though.
Yes we used standard size pavers. Initially wanted a mix of 2-3 colors but ended up with one.

Have not sealed travertine but have not had salt problems with it.

Last edited:
First off, I LOVE your design! Visually amazing. Deck, tile, layout... outstanding. Are you still in the construction phase? Or have you been able to put water on the decking yet and see how slippery it gets?

I looked at a few MSI porcelain pavers. There's some beautiful options, but of the ones I saw, they still seem like a slip hazard. I know MSI has facilities all over the U.S. so maybe I just need to get my hands on some other samples.

I'll definitely check out Kronos. Thanks!!

We love the design too! Took many months to figure it out exactly as we wanted.

We are still in the construction phase unfortunately, ready for it to be over. So far, when I’ve sprayed the deck down with water it doesn’t feel to slippery, but only time will tell!

Yeah, it's one of the options I've considered. I guess I'm still worried it'll be too hot. It'll be getting full AZ sun all day. It's not off the table, but I'm hoping to find a better option.

Plain concrete will be extremely hot!

From my own testing (at a friend's house) during last summer's extreme heat wave; cool deck will be hot but you can walk on it. Plain concrete will sear your feet.

Like someone mentioned above, they do offer cool decking in grey. Ours was barely done in December so we haven't had a chance to test it but I doubt it'll be much different than at my friend's house. I've attached a picture of ours.

Attachments

• 20220112_105456.jpg
    20220112_105456.jpg
    616 KB · Views: 107
Plain concrete will be extremely hot!

From my own testing (at a friend's house) during last summer's extreme heat wave; cool deck will be hot but you can walk on it. Plain concrete will sear your feet.

Like someone mentioned above, they do offer cool decking in grey. Ours was barely done in December so we haven't had a chance to test it but I doubt it'll be much different than at my friend's house. I've attached a picture of ours.
Thanks. Yeah, the more people I talk to the more it seems concrete isn't really a viable option in Phoenix unless you add a coating. I was curious if anyone has seen cool decking/acrylic lace on concrete that's been cut or stamped into a design pattern? I've seen plenty of stamped concrete options, but I haven't yet found a stamped (or cut) concrete design that has cool decking over top. Maybe grey cool decking cut in large rectangle and square patterns would still have a more modern look but prevent burning feet and slip accidents?? Or maybe that's crazy? lol. The search continues....

It would surprise me if anyone has done a cool deck on stamped or cut concrete, since the cool deck would obscure the stamping/cut designs. I for sure wouldn't want to pay the upcharge to stamp or cut designs into a concrete slab and then have it covered up by cool deck.

--Jeff

It would surprise me if anyone has done a cool deck on stamped or cut concrete, since the cool deck would obscure the stamping/cut designs. I for sure wouldn't want to pay the upcharge to stamp or cut designs into a concrete slab and then have it covered up by cool deck.

--Jeff

--Jeff

--Jeff
Yeah I see your point. Appreciate the feedback! I guess I was picturing larger cuts like typical concrete relief cuts, but in an interlocking design. So it would still have acrylic lace coating on each large piece, but clear cuts between design. Again, I'm just thinking out loud here. It may very well be a stupid idea. lol. In the end I might end up with a light grey standard acrylic lace option after all, just want to filter out all my options first.

Have you looked at Arizona Tile? I’ve mostly looked for interior options but they have outdoor products. I see they have a non slip porcelain tile (not sure how hot it will get but you could get info from their showroom.) They also have the porcelain that looks like wood.

Last edited:
We got cool deck. We have been to friend’s with travertine plus our neighborhood pool has it and it is hot and slippery. There is a huge difference walking on the deck and stepping onto the patio that doesn’t have the texture on it. I can handle the heat on the cool deck but not the bare concrete. We have a paver driveway and there is no way I would put that around my pool. Friends did and I don’t know how they can stand it. The cool deck just disappears to me. I really don’t mind it. I like the safety aspect of it because kids will run. We have marble around our spa and it is so hot and slippery. I’m so glad we didn’t do that for the deck. There is a difference between Kooldeck and cool deck, or acrylic lace. Kooldeck is more expensive and I think only comes in the one tan color. Acrylic lace is what most people use now and it is applied to the concrete like walk texture and they put a special paint on it. It comes in many different colors.
Hello, I am in Gilbert and am remodeling my pool. We are thinking of doing the interior stonescapes Aqua cool vs Aqua White. I saw previously you have one of these colors, does the cool deck go well with the color scheme of the pool? Do you mind sharing a picture?

Thanks

Reactions: Nikilyn
Have you looked at Arizona Tile? I’ve mostly looked for interior options but they have outdoor products. I see they have a non slip porcelain tile (not sure how hot it will get but you could get info from their showroom.) They also have the porcelain that looks like wood.

I also found this pic of cool deck/lace (never heard of it before) but it looks like they can cut it up like coping rectangles?

View attachment 392786
Thanks! Haven't looked at Arizona Tile yet, but I'll put it on my list. I grabbed a few samples of "Anti-slip" finished options from MSI the other day. I took them out back, sprayed them with the hose and slid my feet around on them. Some were certainly still slippery so I'm not really sold on anything yet, but I've got time. Yeah, that photo is basically what I was talking about with the acrylic cuts. Nice example!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.