Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine

Rochester, NY
Ollie's again has their Austin's Pool Shock 12.5% at $2.99/gallon.
Best deal around here.

I picked up only 1 case, last June they ran a promotion before July 4th for 15% off everything. Hope they do again this year.

Nice!! I'm in Rochester too... Hopefully I can stop at Ollie's today after work and scoop some up!

Re: Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine - Baton Rouge, La.

In Baton Rouge, La., we have a new Pinch-a-Penny pool store..$5.00 for 2.5 gal refillable container..$7.00 to fill with 13% and every tenth refill is free. They also give you a tray that holds two containers.

We get 10% in Florida for $5.50. I like that it only takes five minutes from car to store and back to car with no impulse buying.

I have found that the generic 8.25 % bleach sold at Winco (at least in my location) is not as strong as
generic bleach at safeway.

Maybe the winco stuff sits in a warehouse....it does not raise my pool 4ppm for every gallon
like the safeway does.

I get generic at Wal-mart. The beginning of the 2016 season it was around $2.50 for 8.25% in the pool section. In August it went up to around $3.50. I also buy a generic 8.25% at Harris Teeter grocery store (owned by Kroger) for $2.57. Chlorox brand is the most expensive.

After the concentrated bleach went up at Walmart (the 8.25%) I opted for regular bleach and calculated the extra expense, which was worth not paying the extra $1 per gallon at Walmart.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
North Orange County, CA

Nobles Pool + Spa Inc: $5.46 (incl. tax) per gallon, 12%.
Muriatic acid - $7.90 (incl. tax)

Swan Discount Pool & Spa Supplies: $4.19 per gallon, 12%.

Friendly Hills Pool & Spa: $4.24 per gallon, 12%.

Assured Pool + Spas: $5.50 per gallon, 12%.

ABC Swimming Pool Products: $3.60, 12.5%.
Muriatic acid - $6.43

Last edited:
Current finds in central NC:

BJ's - 12.5% (4 gallons @ $13.99)
Walmart - 10% (2 Gallons @ $6.44. "Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid")
Aldi - 8% (1/2 Gallon @ $1.39).

I'm constantly on the hunt for the best liquid chlorine prices due to my business and maintaining my pool. I'll keep this updated as I come across more sources.

- - - Updated - - -

Also just as an FYI. Walmart surprised me last week when the Manager offered to special order the 10% chlorinating liquid for me. If you visit your local Walmart, it may be worth asking if they will special order it or keep extra on hand for you. My Walmart now keeps 20 cases stocked on the shelf regularly. Hopefully this helps those who have a harder time finding chlorine in their area.

Liquid Chlorine in DFW, TX area

Greetings from the land of no winter anymore--North Texas! The BAD-wasps (and other critters) and weeds aplenty. The GOOD-early swim season!!!

Took a dip over the weekend and while a little chilly, in the sun-drenched daytime, just wonderful, especially after several hours of yard work.

Soooo...time to start evaluating saving money on fresh liquid chlorine.

In my area, Denton/Lewisville for those in the know, my best value seems to be:

$3.64 per gallon of 10% in the pool supplies section at Walmart (Pool Essentials Brand I believe)--bought last five gallons at Hickory Creek Walmart but plenty available at Lewisville Main St. store. Date code was very fresh and employee said they will keep in stock through summer.

$2.69 per gallon of 8.25% at Aldi (Denton/Corinth/Lewisville) of their store brand. This has been my go-to source for last few seasons and date code has always been pretty fresh, at least during the summer months.

So when I do the math:

Walmart--$3.64/12.8oz actual chlorine (128oz*10%)=$0.28 per chlorinating oz
Aldi--$2.69/10.56oz actual chlorine (128oz*8.25%)=$0.25 per chlorinating oz

So right now, Aldi still wins, even if it means hauling an extra jug for approximately every five for the same chlorinating power. Plus, I am a bit against spending my money at Walmart unless it is absolutely necessary (cough medicine at 2am type stuff). But it is good to know that I have an option should Aldi be out or whatever might require me to need to buy elsewhere.

I hope this provides good info for those local to my area. I imagine the prices are the same if you are shopping at Walmart/Aldi anywhere in the DFW area. Certainly would love to know if there are differences in the same market. As well, if you find better pricing at another store, please post or send me a PM or ideally both, especially if someone is having a short term sale.

One thing I have found in my couple of years of checking bleach prices, avoid grocery stores, dollar stores, and Home Depot (for chlorine, no vendetta against any of these for other needs). At almost every check, those type of stores have an issue with date code and/or chlorine percentage. Last season, my neighbor who I have turned on to using bleach for pool, was all excited that she had bought some gallons for 99 cents at Winco (love Winco, but not bleach for pool) and stocked up. Well, I could not find a date code and then when I saw the bleach percentage, it was 1%. Really? I did not even know that was a thing...what a waste of perfectly good plastic jug to fill it with a 1% solution. To top it off, it was 3/4 of a gallon. I gently told her not a good deal. She responded, "bleach is bleach, right?" So it was time for a math lesson. After that "aha" moment, she lugged it all back and returned it (bought 24 jugs!). So beware of old or no date codes and minimal bleach percentages in discount bleach. And as for Home Depot, they sell the 12.5% stuff but all the jugs are so dusty that I just have to believe the stuff is not fresh. Plus it is like $4.99 a gallon last I checked, so even if fresh, better deals to be had elsewhere.

Happy swimming season everyone!!!

Re: Liquid Chlorine in DFW, TX area

Greetings from the land of no winter anymore--North Texas! The BAD-wasps (and other critters) and weeds aplenty. The GOOD-early swim season!!!

Took a dip over the weekend and while a little chilly, in the sun-drenched daytime, just wonderful, especially after several hours of yard work.

Soooo...time to start evaluating saving money on fresh liquid chlorine.

In my area, Denton/Lewisville for those in the know, my best value seems to be:

$3.64 per gallon of 10% in the pool supplies section at Walmart (Pool Essentials Brand I believe)--bought last five gallons at Hickory Creek Walmart but plenty available at Lewisville Main St. store. Date code was very fresh and employee said they will keep in stock through summer.

$2.69 per gallon of 8.25% at Aldi (Denton/Corinth/Lewisville) of their store brand. This has been my go-to source for last few seasons and date code has always been pretty fresh, at least during the summer months.

So when I do the math:

Walmart--$3.64/12.8oz actual chlorine (128oz*10%)=$0.28 per chlorinating oz
Aldi--$2.69/10.56oz actual chlorine (128oz*8.25%)=$0.25 per chlorinating oz

So right now, Aldi still wins, even if it means hauling an extra jug for approximately every five for the same chlorinating power. Plus, I am a bit against spending my money at Walmart unless it is absolutely necessary (cough medicine at 2am type stuff). But it is good to know that I have an option should Aldi be out or whatever might require me to need to buy elsewhere.

I hope this provides good info for those local to my area. I imagine the prices are the same if you are shopping at Walmart/Aldi anywhere in the DFW area. Certainly would love to know if there are differences in the same market. As well, if you find better pricing at another store, please post or send me a PM or ideally both, especially if someone is having a short term sale.

One thing I have found in my couple of years of checking bleach prices, avoid grocery stores, dollar stores, and Home Depot (for chlorine, no vendetta against any of these for other needs). At almost every check, those type of stores have an issue with date code and/or chlorine percentage. Last season, my neighbor who I have turned on to using bleach for pool, was all excited that she had bought some gallons for 99 cents at Winco (love Winco, but not bleach for pool) and stocked up. Well, I could not find a date code and then when I saw the bleach percentage, it was 1%. Really? I did not even know that was a thing...what a waste of perfectly good plastic jug to fill it with a 1% solution. To top it off, it was 3/4 of a gallon. I gently told her not a good deal. She responded, "bleach is bleach, right?" So it was time for a math lesson. After that "aha" moment, she lugged it all back and returned it (bought 24 jugs!). So beware of old or no date codes and minimal bleach percentages in discount bleach. And as for Home Depot, they sell the 12.5% stuff but all the jugs are so dusty that I just have to believe the stuff is not fresh. Plus it is like $4.99 a gallon last I checked, so even if fresh, better deals to be had elsewhere.

Happy swimming season everyone!!!

1% is basically tap water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walmart Cleaning bleach has a good price per oz. 128oz. 6% $1.77

Any idea why it is "Cleaning Bleach" versus their regular bleach? Their 8.25% regular bleach is $3 near me.

- - - Updated - - -

I have found that the generic 8.25 % bleach sold at Winco (at least in my location) is not as strong as
generic bleach at safeway.

Maybe the winco stuff sits in a warehouse....it does not raise my pool 4ppm for every gallon
like the safeway does.

You may find the date stamped on it. It is the day of production. For example i just bought 6 gallons at Walmart and dates ranged from 017 (January 17) to 093 (late March). People must think i am crazy turning all of the bottles around and only picking certain ones!

- - - Updated - - -

People must think i am crazy turning all of the bottles around and only picking certain ones!

I was in Wal Mart doing the same thing last weekend and an older lady noticed my cart full of bleach and my hunting for the newest ones and said "You must have a pool." She went on to tell me that she used to have a pool and her late husband used to do the same thing... hunt for fresh bleach to use in the pool. It was the first time anyone has correctly guess why I'm buying so much bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support