Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine

Pizza

Silver Supporter
May 2, 2017
Burbank, CA
I live in Burbank, CA, any SoCal'ers here know the best deal around? I'm starting to think Clorox at a big store might be best.

jbb2388

May 8, 2017
Avon, CT
Not the best of deals but Walmart here in NY/LI area has 1gal 10% "Pool Essentials" for $3.64. But, they have a 2 pack for $6.44 (so a small break to $3.22/gal).
Same here in CT. Also in Walmart, store brand bleach 8.25% is $2.94 for 121oz and clorox 6% is 3.94 for 116oz. Looks like the two pack of the pool essentials stuff is best value.

Noobpool

Apr 5, 2017
Cullman , Al
I just stocked up at Wm on the chlorinating liquid. I noticed that the Julian date was 013 and when I applied to my pool it did not smell like the 097 stuff I had been getting. Is there any guidelines on how old is too old?

gundan

Jun 6, 2014
Morganville NJ
I live in Central NJ, I end up getting my liquid chlorine from Miracle Pool in Farmingdale. The sale price(this saturday may 13/may 20th) is $3.50/gallon, the regular price is $4.10/gallon with a 5% for cash 5% for a code they post on facebook every saturday. This chlorine is 12.5%.

Also keep in the local lowes/walmart carries 10% concentrated chlorine which is priced at about $3.60-3.70/gallon. This is in 1 gallon containers, so it is a bit convenient., compared to the 5 gallon carboys from Miracle Pool.

On a different note, is it ok to store my liquid chlorine in the shed in my yard. It is in the shade, it gets some sunshine in the morning, but past around 11 it is fully in the shade. Also, what's the rate of drop of the concentration of liquid chlorine? Any rough ideas?

Thanks all!

rkeller62

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Aug 14, 2016
Rochester, NY
In upstate NY Ollie's Bargain Outlet currently has gallons of 10% for $2.99 with date code of 17 097 for the ones I looked at. They label it pool shock.

24 foot, 13,500 gallon round above ground vinyl pool with sand filter

laprjns

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 14, 2012
Ellington, CT
I have an Ocean State not too far from me and they had the same price. Couldn't find a date code but it looked like freshly stocked jugs, fwiw.
The OSJL store that I go to sources their chlorine from three different manufacture that I have seen:

Pool Tech Shock from James Austins Company, Mars, PA (I believe the stock actually comes from their Massachusett's manufacturing plant)
Diamond Clear Mega Shock from Amco Inc, Woonsocket RI
Super Shock from H.Krevit & company, New Haven CT

Regarding date lot codes, both Pool Tech and Super Shock products have date codes marked on either the jugs or the case box. Amco doesn't date code their Diamond Clear Megashock at all. I confirmed this via an email to them. They said that their product is on OSJL floor within a few days of manufacture.

jbb2388

May 8, 2017
Avon, CT
The OSJL store that I go to sources their chlorine from three different manufacture that I have seen:

Pool Tech Shock from James Austins Company, Mars, PA (I believe the stock actually comes from their Massachusett's manufacturing plant)
Diamond Clear Mega Shock from Amco Inc, Woonsocket RI
Super Shock from H.Krevit & company, New Haven CT

Regarding date lot codes, both Pool Tech and Super Shock products have date codes marked on either the jugs or the case box. Amco doesn't date code their Diamond Clear Megashock at all. I confirmed this via an email to them. They said that their product is on OSJL floor within a few days of manufacture.
Thats great info laprjns, thanks for posting. I've always been leery about OSJL product age.

kfpool

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 14, 2016
Port Orange, FL
$4.25 / 2.5 gallon refill of 10.5% at Leslie's in Port Orange, FL.
1 free refill every 10 so the price is a tad lower.
Same price as last year.

GinaLovesSummer

Jul 18, 2016
Whitesboro, TX
In North Texas I get mine at Atwood's. It's labeled pool shock but is 10% sodium hypochlorite and is $9.99 for a case of 4 gallon jugs. They recently had a sale at $1.88 a gallon but that is over.

jgofnj

May 28, 2013
Hillsborough, NJ
Hillsborough NJ. National Pools sells 5 gallon drums 12% for $19.98 refillable and requires $8 deposit for jug. You never need to deal with 1 gallon containers.

spinPHD

Apr 20, 2017
Phoenix
In Phoenix area, I bought box of two one gallon bottles of 10% Kem-tek on sale at Fry's yesterday. Not sure if it's city wide sale, but I got mine at Ahwatukee Fry's on Ray. That's about 80 cents cheaper than I've found at Home Depot. Julian date said it was made 20-days ago.