Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine

I just bought 10 jugs of Walmart liquid chlorine for 5.47 gallon date 100th day of 2023. How long before this starts to breakdown ? It was located inside store . Trying to decide if I should buy more before it’s gone .

I just bought 10 jugs of Walmart liquid chlorine for 5.47 gallon date 100th day of 2023. How long before this starts to breakdown ? It was located inside store . Trying to decide if I should buy more before it’s gone .

That’s 35 days old; not too bad. If it was stored inside, it should be good. That’s about as fresh as I’ve found around here and it was fine.

Right, I don’t really know where it was stored before purchasing from pallets inside store. But if we assume inside storage , is there any calculation to figure out how quickly it breakdown?

That's the million dollar question. Half the pallets could have sat outside for 3 days when delivered and already be on their way to salt water. 🤷‍♂️

This is true. However, I’ve never had an issue with any chlorine purchase that was less than 90 days old. I usually check Walmart (located inside the store), Home Depot (located outside in Garden Dept), and Lowes (located outside in Garden Dept). Perhaps I’ve just been lucky? In case it matters, I usually buy chlorine late April/early May for opening, and late Sept/early Oct for closing.

Reactions: newdude
Right, I don’t really know where it was stored before purchasing from pallets inside store. But if we assume inside storage , is there any calculation to figure out how quickly it breakdown?

I’m pretty sure I’ve read somewhere around here that chlorine is bottled at a higher concentration than labeled to account for some degradation that will occur between the time it’s manufactured/bottled and typically bought/used by the consumer (no idea what length of time is used to calculate that). Perhaps someone here can confirm or correct this info.

FYI..... here in North Alabama Rural King just got restocked on their 10% LC. We picked up 4 cases this weekend for $16.99/case (roughly $4.25/gal). Last year we paid $2.79/gallon at RK so definitely an increase but it's cheaper than the $4.89 we paid at Ollies and cheaper than the $4.99/gal we paid at WalMart prior to that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What the heck is going on? Just looked at Home Depot and almost $9 a gallon.
How the heck is chlorine more expensive than gas?

I did buy 2 gallons early march at Walmart for $5.49 and might just stock up and throw them in my dark cold basement.

Anyone else have suggestions for the NYC/New Jersey area? I’m willing to buy in bulk and store them in my basement.

I ended up buying from National Pool and Spa. Don't know if they have them in your area but they do in central NJ. They sell 5 gallon 12.5% for $32.99 with a $10 charge for the container that you can get back when you return it.

Local pool store where I get my 5 gal of 12% is at $33 for 5gal Jerry can. Told me their seller raised the price this season for no reason. I know there was a fire at one of the plants last year but that was for the pucks.

Local pool store where I get my 5 gal of 12% is at $33 for 5gal Jerry can. Told me their seller raised the price this season for no reason. I know there was a fire at one of the plants last year but that was for the pucks.
National Pool and Spa? I posted about this 25 mins ago in the comment above yours lol. What was the price the year before?

Reactions: Envieddesigns
You have to figure the % of chlorine available to calculate how much chlorine is in the bottle. When they can be found, the 10% liquid chlorine bottles at Walmart are often only Pennie’s more than the 8.5%. Also learn how to read the date code on the side of the bottle to determine how fresh it is. Active chlorine breaks down and goes stale faster than gasoline, so it doesn’t pay to stock up in the winter when no one is using it.

National Pool and Spa? I posted about this 25 mins ago in the comment above yours lol. What was the price the year before?
640 ounces x 12% is 76.8 oz of available chlorine. If you have a 10,000 gallon pool, and need 10 parts per million to slam, you need 640 ounces of available chlorine.

Reactions: Envieddesigns

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support