Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine

What specific product are you considering when you say "outdoor bleach"? I use liquid chlorine that is 12.5% sodium hypochlorite. That's about the strongest you will find. It should say on the bottle somewhere what the concentration is. Just be sure to put the appropriate concentration in the Pool Math calculator to get the correct amount to put in your pool.
Well saw it at home depot their brand HDX
Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing:
SKU# 311883468

That looks like a cleaning product with some bleach in it. I googled the active ingredients in outdoor bleach and it gave me this list:
Known Ingredients
  • SODIUM HYPOCHLORITE. High Concern: acute aquatic toxicity; Moderate Concern: respiratory effects. ...
  • CETYL BETAINE. ...
  • SODIUM XYLENE SULFONATE. ...
  • PROPYLENE GLYCOL PROPYL ETHER. ...
  • SODIUM SILICATE. ...
  • SODIUM CARBONATE. ...
Looks like it is putting a bunch of other chemicals in your pool. Don't use it (unless you get advice from a TFP Expert that it is okay to use). My liquid chlorine has one active ingredient.... 12.5% sodium hypochlorite.....and it says 87.5% "other ingredients". Not sure what those other ingredients are, but it does not show any of those in the list above.

Last edited:
Ollie's in Lewisville, TX has 10% Pool Chlorine for $3.79 for a full gallon (128oz). I am not the biggest fan of that store as it is kind of trashed out, but I saw it in their ad and Home Depot was out when I went over the weekend. Date code of 21 123, which is April 3 I believe. So pretty fresh. They had a bunch yesterday, probably 50 4-packs towards the front of the store with all the other pool toys and tools. Then there was about 200 4-packs at the back of the store near the outdoor chair cushions. You can buy individual gallons if you wish. This is one of those "when it is gone, it may be gone for good" kind of places, so buy it while you can. Not a whole lot cheaper than Home Depot or Walmart, but at least they have it, it is stored indoors, and it is fresh. There are Ollie's spread all over the eastern part of the country, so you might check to see if there is one near you if you are not in North DFW, TX area.

https://www.ollies.us/home.html

Also, they had 1 lb packs of 56% Cal Hypo for $2.79 each in case anyone is interested. Even though I do not normally use anything but bleach, I grabbed 10 as a backup plan in case there comes a time this summer I cannot find the liquid. The shelf life, as I understand it, is much greater on powder than bleach, so I figured it would not hurt to keep some on hand.

Again, kind of a low-rent operation, like a step or two down from Big Lots. But sometimes you find a diamond in the rough. In addition to chlorine, they had a two-pack of king-size Tootsie Roll bars for 69 cents! Score!!! I love me some tootsie roll and one-half of the pack is usually $1.50 at the grocery or convenience store. And it too was fresh and soft and not stale. Ha!

Good luck. Hope this is not a constant pain in the backside all summer for all of us. And if $4-6 a gallon is going to be the new normal for 10% liquid, that salt chlorine generator is looking like a better value by the day. Just not in the budget for me right now as I had to replace a filter and robot cleaner due to the February Texas freeze. Hopefully, we can get through this summer, and maybe the prices on chlorine will settle back down to something more reasonable.

Reactions: jakens84
That looks like a cleaning product with some bleach in it. I googled the active ingredients in outdoor bleach and it gave me this list:
Known Ingredients
  • SODIUM HYPOCHLORITE. High Concern: acute aquatic toxicity; Moderate Concern: respiratory effects. ...
  • CETYL BETAINE. ...
  • SODIUM XYLENE SULFONATE. ...
  • PROPYLENE GLYCOL PROPYL ETHER. ...
  • SODIUM SILICATE. ...
  • SODIUM CARBONATE. ...
Looks like it is putting a bunch of other chemicals in your pool. Don't use it (unless you get advice from a TFP Expert that it is okay to use). My liquid chlorine has one active ingredient.... 12/5% sodium hypochlorite.....and it says 87.5% "other ingredients". Not sure what those other ingredients are, but it does not show any of those in the list above.
Thank you for the reply and the time you took, i found some liquid shock at a pool supply and got that instead.

Just picked up the last three gallons at the Waterford CT ACE Hardware 10% for $2.99/gal. The sale would have run through Monday. I'm gonna swing by Norwich on the way home, as well as see what is left in stock in my hometown East Hampton store.

After that, I'll revert back to Ocean State Job Lot.

For the duration of the crisis, I'm a price taker. I went to Leslie's for liquid chlorine yesterday after not finding any in Home Depot, Walmart, or the grocery stores.

Thanks for the info on Ollies. Lewisville is a bit of a hike (I'm in far north Dallas), but I have fond childhood memories of Building 19 in Boston, so may be worth it for Good Stuff Cheap.

Reactions: Theone01
The May and Memorial Day (both ending 5/31) local ads for ACE Hardware in (at least) these California cities shows $2.99/gal HTH 10% bleach:
North Cal.: Livermore, Woodland, Fresno, Pinole, Turlock, Mtn View, Chico​
South Cal.: SW Los Angeles, So. Pasadena, Van Nuys, La Crescenta, Thousand Oaks.​
At my store, there was a limit of 4.
HTH jugs are too tall for HDX or Kemtek boxes, but the boxes were ok for transporting these 1 gallon HTH jugs.
I was at a Home Depot yesterday and bought their last two 2-gallon boxes of HDX.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The May and Memorial Day (both ending 5/31) local ads for ACE Hardware in (at least) these California cities shows $2.99/gal HTH 10% bleach:
North Cal.: Livermore, Woodland, Fresno, Pinole, Turlock, Mtn View, Chico​
South Cal.: SW Los Angeles, So. Pasadena, Van Nuys, La Crescenta, Thousand Oaks.​
At my store, there was a limit of 4.
HTH jugs are too tall for HDX or Kemtek boxes, but the boxes were ok for transporting these 1 gallon HTH jugs.
I was at a Home Depot yesterday and bought their last two 2-gallon boxes of HDX.
same for Ace in SE AZ

Went to Ace today and stocked up on the 12.5% Pro-Clor liquid chlorine for $2.99/ gallon. Seems like a great price from what I've been reading on this post. All set for at least a couple months!

IMG_1654.jpeg

Reactions: jsteggy
On my receipt I saw that this Pro-Clor 12.5% liquid chlorine normally sells for $5.99/ gallon at Ace. Think I may go get another 4 or 5 cases before the end of the month. Basically half price right now!

Univar lol…

Nice to be able to bring home a pail from work whenever I need it.

Attachments

• CBE61C81-C7C9-4998-9551-E4A4E6DCBB4E.jpeg
    CBE61C81-C7C9-4998-9551-E4A4E6DCBB4E.jpeg
    417.2 KB · Views: 22
Went to Ace today and stocked up on the 12.5% Pro-Clor liquid chlorine for $2.99/ gallon. Seems like a great price from what I've been reading on this post. All set for at least a couple months!

View attachment 338445
you are lucky. that is the stuff i get at menards. the west chester ace hardware has hth 10pc chlorine on sale for 2.99. it was very fresh though. i passed as better deal at menards.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support