Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine

Pennsylvania: Lehigh Valley (Bethlehem): I’m aware of 2 Weis groceries stores (one on Schoenersville Rd., the other on Crawford Drive) that sell 12.5% liquid chlorine for $3.49/gal (Austin’s Pool Tech Shock). Date codes on the 8 bottles I purchased last week show May 2021.

Willow Park Pools: $11.99 / 2.5gal of 12.5% (plus container deposits). This is about $4.80/gal which is the next best price i could find if Weis doesn’t have it out for the season.

Reactions: Poolcatsandkittens
Pennsylvania: Harrisburg/Lancaster area, JL Honberger (off 283) has liquid 12.5% at $5.79/gallon and also returnable 1-or 5-gallon carboys (must pay deposit on those). They also have all the Taylor testing supplies sold individually including FAS/DPD chlorine testing supplies.
Online says the price for 5 gallons plus the deposit is $29.90. Do you know what the deposit amount is on the carboys?

Updating my post from about a month ago regarding liquid chlorine at Ollie's. I am in the North DFW area, so I hit the Lewisville, TX location. But a friend lives in Ft. Worth and she hit the location in Haltom CIty (for something else) but said they had the pallets of liquid chlorine just like she had seen when with me in Lewisville. For those in the North Texas/Southern Oklahoma area, there are also stores in Benbrook, Mesquite, Sherman, Wichita Falls, Corsicana, Waco, Lawton, Ardmore, Longview, and Marshall.

There are 408 locations of this chain, so I don't have the time to list all the locations but a quick scan indicates additional stores through Central Texas down to San Antonio and Corpus Christi, East Texas down to Houston, and West Texas out to Amarillo. As well, I saw stores listed all across the south, midwest, east coast, and up into New England--OK, KS, MO, AR, LA, MS, AL, TN, FL, KY, GA, IN, OH, NC, SC, MI, WV, VA, PA, NJ, NY, MD, CT, MA, RI. It seems they cover most of the middle and eastern half of the country but nothing west of a line that would run along Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Indiana, and Michigan.

Now the good stuff: I can only vouch for Lewisville and Haltom City, TX but they had plenty in stock at those locations on Friday and Saturday. I did ask the checkout lady if they sell this at all of their stores and she said "as far as I know." It is the Pool Essentials 10% and sells for $3.79 per gallon, so a tad cheaper than Home Depot and a tad more than Walmart. But unlike HD, it is stored inside. And the three times I have purchased it there this season, it has been fresh. This last batch was coded 21 160 which I believe equates to a 06/09/2021 production date. It comes boxed in 4 packs for convenience if buying in quantity but you can also buy it one gallon at a time. They also have 1 lb bags of 56% Cal Hypo for $2.79 each. I generally only use liquid but with the chlorine uncertainty this year, I have grabbed some of those since my understanding is they have a better shelf life than the liquid. Better safe than sorry in case there is more of a pinch getting liquid later this summer and it actually has paid off, as my CH was a tad low, mixing in 10 bags over the past two months brought that number back in line.

More good stuff: If you sign up for their Ollie's Army Club online at www.ollies.us you get an introductory offer of 15% off of your entire next purchase (must be used within 21 days of signing up, I believe). I used that offer this last visit and it brought my cost per gallon down to $3.22 (and the Cal Hypo to $2.37). Additionally, this week (yesterday through Saturday), they have their annual summer sale where everything in the entire store is 15% off. The checkout lady said the intro offer and the storewide sale could be stacked and asked if I wanted to wait and come back on Sunday. I didn't because I did not want to risk them not having what I wanted in stock but good to know for you one-time buyers this week. Plus I did not want to unload 20 gallons out of my basket. But I will probably go back towards the end of this week and buy another five or six 4 packs that should hopefully get me through July and August.

To be clear, I am no shill for Ollie's. Like I said in my previous post, it is a little disheveled and unorganized and can seem a little dirty (but not gross). If you hit it at the wrong time, the checkout line can be a bit long, as they only have one or two open, so be prepared. Pool chlorine has been my primary purpose for visiting since I realized last summer they carried it and it was fresh. I do a quick scan of some other items that can be cheaper there like shampoo, body wash, home cleaning products, cat litter, candy, etc. but I would never make a trip specifically for those items. But right now, they are hooking me up with fresh pool chlorine at a fair price and in stock. HD and Walmart were hit or miss on their stock earlier in the spring but I haven't checked lately because I have been getting it at Ollie's.

I hope this helps some of y'all keep your supply in check and fresh!!! Happy swimming and even happier pool maintenance!!!

Updating my post from about a month ago regarding liquid chlorine at Ollie's. I am in the North DFW area, so I hit the Lewisville, TX location. But a friend lives in Ft. Worth and she hit the location in Haltom CIty (for something else) but said they had the pallets of liquid chlorine just like she had seen when with me in Lewisville. For those in the North Texas/Southern Oklahoma area, there are also stores in Benbrook, Mesquite, Sherman, Wichita Falls, Corsicana, Waco, Lawton, Ardmore, Longview, and Marshall.

There are 408 locations of this chain, so I don't have the time to list all the locations but a quick scan indicates additional stores through Central Texas down to San Antonio and Corpus Christi, East Texas down to Houston, and West Texas out to Amarillo. As well, I saw stores listed all across the south, midwest, east coast, and up into New England--OK, KS, MO, AR, LA, MS, AL, TN, FL, KY, GA, IN, OH, NC, SC, MI, WV, VA, PA, NJ, NY, MD, CT, MA, RI. It seems they cover most of the middle and eastern half of the country but nothing west of a line that would run along Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Indiana, and Michigan.

Now the good stuff: I can only vouch for Lewisville and Haltom City, TX but they had plenty in stock at those locations on Friday and Saturday. I did ask the checkout lady if they sell this at all of their stores and she said "as far as I know." It is the Pool Essentials 10% and sells for $3.79 per gallon, so a tad cheaper than Home Depot and a tad more than Walmart. But unlike HD, it is stored inside. And the three times I have purchased it there this season, it has been fresh. This last batch was coded 21 160 which I believe equates to a 06/09/2021 production date. It comes boxed in 4 packs for convenience if buying in quantity but you can also buy it one gallon at a time. They also have 1 lb bags of 56% Cal Hypo for $2.79 each. I generally only use liquid but with the chlorine uncertainty this year, I have grabbed some of those since my understanding is they have a better shelf life than the liquid. Better safe than sorry in case there is more of a pinch getting liquid later this summer and it actually has paid off, as my CH was a tad low, mixing in 10 bags over the past two months brought that number back in line.

More good stuff: If you sign up for their Ollie's Army Club online at www.ollies.us you get an introductory offer of 15% off of your entire next purchase (must be used within 21 days of signing up, I believe). I used that offer this last visit and it brought my cost per gallon down to $3.22 (and the Cal Hypo to $2.37). Additionally, this week (yesterday through Saturday), they have their annual summer sale where everything in the entire store is 15% off. The checkout lady said the intro offer and the storewide sale could be stacked and asked if I wanted to wait and come back on Sunday. I didn't because I did not want to risk them not having what I wanted in stock but good to know for you one-time buyers this week. Plus I did not want to unload 20 gallons out of my basket. But I will probably go back towards the end of this week and buy another five or six 4 packs that should hopefully get me through July and August.

To be clear, I am no shill for Ollie's. Like I said in my previous post, it is a little disheveled and unorganized and can seem a little dirty (but not gross). If you hit it at the wrong time, the checkout line can be a bit long, as they only have one or two open, so be prepared. Pool chlorine has been my primary purpose for visiting since I realized last summer they carried it and it was fresh. I do a quick scan of some other items that can be cheaper there like shampoo, body wash, home cleaning products, cat litter, candy, etc. but I would never make a trip specifically for those items. But right now, they are hooking me up with fresh pool chlorine at a fair price and in stock. HD and Walmart were hit or miss on their stock earlier in the spring but I haven't checked lately because I have been getting it at Ollie's.

I hope this helps some of y'all keep your supply in check and fresh!!! Happy swimming and even happier pool maintenance!!!
I was excited with more alternatives in NJ, but with my luck ….

Attachments

• 1BC68849-A214-4308-83EE-BD21A22A5931.jpeg
    1BC68849-A214-4308-83EE-BD21A22A5931.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 7
I was excited with more alternatives in NJ, but with my luck ….
Bummer! But maybe if you take a weekend road trip and pass through where they have a store, might be worth a stop? But yeah, I get it. If it wasn't 10 minutes from me, unless I absolutely could not get it elsewhere (which was a problem at HD and Wally World back in April), I wouldn't make an hour drive to any of the other two closest stores to me, much less farther.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For Houston area, does anyone know who has liquid chlorine in stock?
In North Texas, all Home Depots and Walmarts seem to have quite a bit of supply of chlorinating liquid. I don't buy it, but take note of stock as I walk by and have seen zero issues this year.

Pool Essentials 10% on Walmart $3.74/ gal

UPDATE: Dated 21174 (6/23)

Last edited:
I just bought two boxes of 4gal each 12.5% at Farm and Home Supply in High Ridge MO for $14 per box, which works out to $3.50 per gal for 12.5%. That's the cheapest by far in this area. Other places sell 10% for about $4 per gal, and Menard's sells 12.5% for about $17 per box of 4 gal. I just wish I could decipher their date codes. Sidebar: They have a limit of 2 boxes per customer at the current time, but they have lots in stock.

I just bought two boxes of 4gal each 12.5% at Farm and Home Supply in High Ridge MO for $14 per box, which works out to $3.50 per gal for 12.5%. That's the cheapest by far in this area. Other places sell 10% for about $4 per gal, and Menard's sells 12.5% for about $17 per box of 4 gal. I just wish I could decipher their date codes. Sidebar: They have a limit of 2 boxes per customer at the current time, but they have lots in stock.
It's an old post but this thread might help with decoding the date. There are some examples for some brands and more in the responses

Thread 'Chlorine Date Code Decoder/Easy Way to Measure Strength.' Chlorine Date Code Decoder/Easy Way to Measure Strength.

EKonomy Pools in Tucson finally got the refillable 12% back in stock, crates are sitting out front in the weather and the price is $6.62 including tax but not deposit on crates and bottles. yeeesh should have bought the real SWG two years ago.

they are stil doing the punch card, buy 10 get one free so that knocks it back a few cents.

Folks in Northern Virginia (FFX county), where do you guys get LC? I searched the sites and found one 4-yr old mention of this industry supplier in MD/VA, called but was told due to insurance liability, they only sell to commercial customer. I found some Pool Essential 10% at Lowes, other than that, only Safeway regular scent bleach...

Just went to Home Depot Bethesda, MD. They have these inside:
$4.00, date code 21 194 Pool Essentials 1 Gal. Pool Chlorinating Liquid-26128ESS - The Home Depot
$15.98 date code 21 194 Pool Essentials Pool Chlorinating Liquid (4-Pack)-26489355392 - The Home Depot

Brickseek said they had zero of the $4 one and 60 of the $15.98 one, but they definitely opened the 4 packs and have the $4 in stock. Therefore, check stock of the $15.98 one and you can probably buy either the $4 or $15.98. Pool Essentials 1 Gal. Pool Chlorinating Liquid - Home Depot Inventory Checker - BrickSeek

@ShinDiors Fairfax home depot (12275 Price Club Plaza) has 22 of the 4 pack and Manassas has 38.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShinDiors

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support