Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine

Absolutely no pool chlorine at 3 different Walmarts in NW PA (pucks or liquid). There are bags of shock but they are extremely overpriced. I haven't seen any at Home Depot or Lowes either.

I have a month supply of a mixture of 4 bottles of 12.5 and gallon jugs of regular bleach, but I'm getting concerned I won't be able to find any regular 12.5 this entire season up here.

I'm in the very NW corner of PA near the OH border. The closest Ace hardware is in OH as far as I can tell, if things get really bad I could drive out there.
I'm in the same boat. No liquid chlorine or chlorine of any kind anywhere around me (Philly burbs). Everyone is completely cleaned out. I'm only 1.5 weeks in, so can't start up my SWG for another 2.5 weeks. Gonna be interesting figuring out what to do until then.

So much for "only solid forms of chlorine will be affected", eh?

Reactions: George0506
Everyone figured out the magic that is liquid chlorine!

Thankfully I was able to order 10 bottles from a Menard's in OH and my girlfriend's sister lives near the store. She's coming up Wednesday anyways to visit so I did a store pickup and she'll just pick it up for me. That should last me until July at least.

Reactions: George0506
Good news for us Canadians! Canadian Tire is having their annual Aquarius brand liquid chlorine sale. 3.6 litres of 10.8% for $3.79 instead of the usual $4.79. I've stocked up! Why haven't you? :D

m.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OSJL had a limit on the number of jumbo tabs you could buy. 4lb bucket was $30. I normally get a 7lber for about $20. I have 4 cases of liquid chlorine in my garage. I go through about a case a week (1/2 gallon daily), so I am going to work up to having enough on hand to get me through closing in September, before prices rise again.

Edit: I am a jug lugger, but use the tabs for vacations.

Last edited:
Connecticut, Ocean State Job Lot. Chain of stores. I buy mine at the store in Old Saybrook CT. Have been for the past 15 or so years.
They sell by the gallon or by the case (four gallons per case), $3.99/gal, 12%. Sometimes $2.99/gal
They typically have a couple of pallets of cases in stock.

I'm in the same boat. No liquid chlorine or chlorine of any kind anywhere around me (Philly burbs). Everyone is completely cleaned out. I'm only 1.5 weeks in, so can't start up my SWG for another 2.5 weeks. Gonna be interesting figuring out what to do until then.

So much for "only solid forms of chlorine will be affected", eh?
Not sure what suburbs of Philly you are located within but Leslie's Pool Supply in Collegeville, PA has liquid chlorine shock. I just picked up a bunch.

Reactions: Dave1096
In Guelph Ontario, Canada, Westmount Pools sells bulk chlorine. You can purchase your own containers there.
I tried to enter this on your Chlorine map but I was unable to do so. Is this map limited to American users only?

Just perused the last few months of the thread. It just confirmed my thoughts that HD is no longer carrying their HDX 3 gallon packs any longer. I guess their new 4 gallon pack is the only liquid option. Definitely not happy with the price increase but I guess it's a sign of the times.

San Fran Bay Area (Sunnyvale/Mt View).
$0.348 per liquid oz. Home Depot & Lowes have 2gal 10% bleach for $8.90. No 1gal or 4gal available at my stores.
Lowe's web site listed cheaper prices (HTH 1 gal 10% $3.83) but no sign of that at the store, just HDX 2 gallon. Not available for delivery.. Both Home Depot & Lowes web sites will show whether they have it in stock at my store.

Leslies (local & online) Trichlor & Dichlor are restricted to 1 container (or 6? 1 pound bags, IIRC) per customer because of shortages.
$0.476 or $0.381 per liq oz bleach. Leslies web site says $12.19 for 2 gallon of indeterminate 10% or 12.5% bleach. 4 gallon box is a hair more expensive. The web site does NOT indicate if it is in stock.

$0.468 Ace Hardware store apparently has 1 gal HTH (10%?) at $5.99 in stock at my local store.

??? True Value Hardware lists as unavailable 4 gals of unknown strength pool chlorine at $3.99(!). Last reviews were a year ago and were often unfavorable (old, weak product). But even at half strength if you knew the strength, that would be a good price.

How far you drive times gasoline prices adds to the out-of-pocket price if your trip is solely to buy chlorine. Gas at $4/gallon and 25mpg, means about 6 miles is a dollar. Use your round trip cost divided by amount you buy. That impacts your personal costs, but shouldn't be posted here. Your time is also of value. Going to a store and finding they have no bleach is an expensive trip.

I haven't pursued whether bleach can be delivered to the home. I wouldn't want to store more than 4 or 8 gallons, unless it becomes hard to get. (I have a lot of trichlor if I had to use it) Buying online for delivery would have its costs too (time purchasing; time being available for delivery)

I would hesitate to buy 1 gallon bottles of bleach (Lowe's) except in cardboard boxes of 2 or more due to concerns about spillage while driving them home. I looked to see if I could find plastic carriers for 2 or 4 bottles as I used to see decades ago. A quick Google search didn't turn them up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support