Best place to buy Pentair IC40

Apr 27, 2016
Phoenix
Is there a TFP preferred online retailer to use when buying a replacement SWG? Prices seem to vary from site to site.

Also, I’d read that these units are more expensive these days than maybe a year or two ago. How much did these cost back then?

Monk,

I bought a new IC40 from Amazon in Mar of 2020 for $639... Now the same cell at Amazon is $869.

I like these guys....

Looks like they have the IC40 at $749.

I suspect that you can find it cheaper somewhere, but I like buying it from people I can trust to make things right if things go South.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Monkmullen
Monk,

I bought a new IC40 from Amazon in Mar of 2020 for $639... Now the same cell at Amazon is $869.

I like these guys....

Looks like they have the IC40 at $749.

I suspect that you can find it cheaper somewhere, but I like buying it from people I can trust to make things right if things go South.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you for the info!

We are debating replacing now or switching to regular chlorine until prices drop. Our current cell is only a couple of years old, but our hard water just destroyed the blades. It didn’t help that the previous homeowner apparently did next to nothing in the way of maintaining the unit. By the time I’d removed the unit, it was almost completely obstructed by deposits.

It’s hard to justify this expense when it seems like the cost to just use regular chlorine products could be far less.

hard water just destroyed the blades.
Cleaning the cell with acid will destroy the cell. The hard water does not. Well maintained water chemistry will keep scale from forming on the SWCG.

I very much doubt the price of the SWCG will fall. Also, the price of liquid chlorine has gone up by a lot too.

Cleaning the cell with acid will destroy the cell. The hard water does not. Well maintained water chemistry will keep scale from forming on the SWCG.

I very much doubt the price of the SWCG will fall. Also, the price of liquid chlorine has gone up by a lot too.

Ah, then it was the multiple acid soaks I had to do to remove the excessive deposits that caused the blades to deteriorate. Makes sense.

Ah, then it was the multiple acid soaks I had to do to remove the excessive deposits that caused the blades to deteriorate. Makes sense.
this is why I love some Circupool, they send you a paint stick to get the deposits out, no need for MA :)

this is why I love some Circupool, they send you a paint stick to get the deposits out, no need for MA :)
I posted this pic last year, and this was after chipping away with a paint stick and using the hose. There was so much build up before I took the pic that you literally could not see the plates at all. It looked like someone squeezed toothpaste over the ends.

Since then I’ve removed and cleaned the unit a few more times, and the build up has been similarly severe.

Attachments

• 7FABB96A-ACE8-49E6-B466-FB4CECE0F87D.png
    7FABB96A-ACE8-49E6-B466-FB4CECE0F87D.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 34

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How did your salt level get so high?
The chemistry parameters that effect scaling in your SWCG are not significantly effected by the salt level.

Well okay, finally had a chance to test our water this evening.

ph - 8.2
fc - 1.5
cc - 0
ch - 1375
ta - 220
cya - 70
salt - 3800

Based on the pool math, I need to drain approx 80% of my pool water to lower that ch. But if I'm just refilling with hose water, isn't that water going to be just as bad? Also, draining that much will lower my salt below ideal levels. Do I just refill, test, then add salt as needed?

The new chlorinator came today. Not sure I should install until I get the water more balanced. But when I do install it, is there any sort of programming or calibration I will need to do?

Your fill water CH is about 250 ppm. Test it.
So if you drain essentially the entire pool volume, your CH level in the pool will be about 250 ppm.
You would have to add salt and CYA back into the pool water after refilling.

The SWCG can be installed anytime you like. A good time would be during the draining process.

Wow... I bought the replacement IC40 cell a couple years ago from an ebay retailer "ynotpools" for $499.00. That same seller now sells it for $699.00. Crazy!!!

I was genuinely caught off guard by the price. Last time I priced one of these, last summer sometime, I remember it being more in the $650 range. It's obviously a tougher purchase to justify at this price. The current unit I'm replacing is no more than three years old (with little to no maintenance during those years as far as I can tell). If 3-4 years is what I can expect out here, then that equates to $185/year, and I'm just not seeing much of a savings there.

So that's why we're starting from scratch with this new unit. I plan to baby this thing as much as possible.

Monk,

I've gone through two IC40's on my pools.. One lasted about 9 years and the other about 7 years.. The average is between 4 to 7 years in most pools.. Not sure why you are only getting 3 years.. :scratch:

That said, I don't run a SWCG because it is cheaper, I do it because it is so much easier to maintain a saltwater pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.