Best option for plumbing

Jul 27, 2016
Wesley Chapel
Hi all,

I have two options for replumbing for my Pump. I can either cut off the plumbing coming out of the Jandy valve and put a 2.5” coupling with a 2” bushing on - or - I can cut it off in the same spot and put a pipe extender fitting in the pipe. Which is better for flow or does it matter?

thanks,
greg

A picture would definitely be helpful here. I would suspect it won't matter much, so long as you don't go smaller in size than what was originally built. Typical Jandy valves would take either a 1.5" or 2" pipe (1.5 goes inside the fitting; 2 goes on the outside). Does your pipe currently go inside the fitting?

I'll attach some pics. When I was researching a while back someone suggested using a 2.5" coupling over the Jandy Valve with a reducer bushing. SOmeone else recently suggested using a pipe extender inside the pipe. Either way I have to cut it off right at the valve. I am not sure which is the best options:

coupling.jpgpump suction.jpg

If I go with the option of gluing the coupling over the valve - can I use regular PVC glue?

Thanks.

I agree, to avoid replacing the valve your best bet is to cut the pipe flush with the outlet of the valve and use the outer part of the fitting. I've only seen these with 1.5 inside/2 inch outside, but I suppose it could be bigger. I would suspect that it's 2 inch though.

Since you're replumbing your pump, you should definitely take the opportunity to replace those fixed couplers with threaded unions. You would put one on the inlet, another on the outlet. That way you'll be able to easily remove your pump for servicing in the future.

Need to replace the pump. It is dying. Bought a Super II with unions off Amazon and it should come tomorrow along with some pvc fittings including the 2.5” coupling and reducer bushing. I have Oatey purple primer at home but I need to figure out which pvc cement to get. Jandy recommends CVPC gray weld-on but if PVC glue will work I can just use that. I have regular oatey pvc cement that comes in the 2-pack you get a Home Depot but is that strong enough for this? Or should I just get some oatey gray cement for CVPC and use it on everything? I assume you can use CVPC cement on normal pvc, but not the other way around? I dunno. - maybe over thinking it. I have red that the red can “all purpose” isn’t good for pressurized lines but not sure that is true. I have used the blue can “rain or shine” and that has worked in the past. What would be best in my situation where I have to use it on the Jandy valve and also replumb normal pvc as well?

Probably not the best pool-specific product, but I've always used Red Hot Blue Glue. It tends to be a little messy, but I've NEVER had a leak with it. It does set very quickly, which can be good and bad. :) Pretty much ready for pool-level pressure as soon as you can no longer move the joints (which is only a few seconds tops).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
rain or shine glue is great all around just let the glue set as the valve is ABS give it at least 24hrs. Noticed in the pic there are 3 coulings coming out of the pump as said earlier maybe time for threaded unions if you can slide pump back a bit and make it work

It’s in and everything seems to work. I used regular pvc glue with purple primer - the 2 pack you can get at HD for about $10. The Jandy Valve is pvc. I called Jandy and they said the majority sold are pvc valves. I called the original pool builder and he confirmed it was pvc. I glued the coupling to the valve early on in the install. There is not a lot of room to work but I got it wired and had to make a few trips to the store for more fittings as I had to replumb the section going to the filter as well. After that I finished the plumbing and waited about 30 minutes. Probably should have waited longer but I was impatient! it works and isn’t leaking. Thanks for the help all!6FFFAD35-F710-40F2-9B61-A8A114AC547C.jpg

Thanks! So after a week there are no leaks and everything is running fine. It dawned on me though - I didn’t put any lube on the unions at all - not the o-rings on the part that screws into the pump nor the gasket beeedn both sides where the unions screw together. There are no leaks at all but should I have? More importantly, should I take apart and do now? I feel like since it is working I should leave it alone but...long term effects?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.