Best kinds of salt for hot tub?

cadw2005

Feb 8, 2021
Fort Worth, TX
I'll be sanitizing my new hot tub with a saltron mini salt cell. What kind of salt is best for SWG in a hot tub and where do you get it?
I've seen mention of Epsom salt, dead sea salt (from spadept.com), and himalayan pink salt. I'm not too worried about heater corrosion because it'll have a titanium heater.
Thanks!

Standard issue pool salt from HD/ lowes / Walmart or even the pool store. One bag (40 lbs) will do as 7 lbs will add 3k ppm to 500 gallons. If the pool store is pricey at $9 it ain't worth going out of the way that day for $8 at Walmart.

You can also use water softener salt sold by the water heaters at HD/ Lowes. It's $2-$3 cheaper but also not worth going out of the way for. The water softener variety has larger cystals that take 20 mins to dissolve instead of 10, but as Allen just chimed in, it's all salt.

Whatever you buy, verify it says pure or 100% on the bag, even if it's the same bag as last time. Steer clear of Clorox brand that may contain iron. Diamond Crystal brand is what most of us use.

Reactions: cadw2005
You can also use water softener salt sold by the water heaters at HD/ Lowes. It's $2-$3 cheaper but also not worth going out of the way for. The water softener variety has larger cystals that take 20 mins to dissolve instead of 10, but as Allen just chimed in, it's all salt.
That's what I do. I don't yet have a SWCG for my pool, but I have a water softener. I buy the regular softener salt, nothing added. In fact, one time I just dug the 9 lbs I need on a new fill out of my softener salt tank cause I didn't have any laying around in a bag. :ROFLMAO:

I also just use softener salt for my driveway/sidewalk in the winter too. One time I bought a bag of ice melt rock salt, nothing special just sodium chloride, and it was $9 and had a bunch of rocks for some reason and some really big pieces of salt. Probably just an odd couple bags, but I also felt like it was salt that couldn't pass to be sold for softeners or other uses so they sold it for ice melting and charged more to boot, probably because there's a large chunk of people that don't realize that regular "ice melter" is the same thing they put in water softeners. I was like why should I pay $9 for a bag of salt with really big pieces and rocks when I can buy a bag sold for water softening with fairly consistantly sized pieces and no rocks for $6?

You can often find Morton’s Pool Salt for around that price in Walmart.

Marketing and the psychological effect. If you spend more you will think it feels better.

Thanks for the further reading link! I was using the search bar and pool school link to try and find the info. I knew there had to be a whole sticky thread dedicated to all things salt and SWG!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the further reading link! I was using the search bar and pool school link to try and find the info. I knew there had to be a whole sticky thread dedicated to all things salt and SWG!
The Wiki page -- Further Reading

Also there is a link at the bottom of each webpage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.