Before Slam

Is there anything crucial I need to know or do before slam.
Chlorine = 0
Cya = 0
PH = 7.5
CH = 100
TA = 40
The pool is a light milky green I can barely see the bottom step.
You look good to go... SLAM Process includes adding CYa for a Target/Goal of 30, then assume it's there, keep the FC/CYA Levels handy!

Reactions: jbrobertson59
Jbro ..... the SLAM links above are where you want to be. Read carefully before you start. Not sure about the history of your water though, so before you add any stabilizer, you might consider adding only enough bleach to increase the FC to about 10, then test again in about 10 minutes. See if it held between 5-10. Do that test to ensure the FC didn't completely crash to zero. Also make note of your CC level to see if it's exceptionally high. If none of those things happend, you should be safe to move forward with the SLAM by adding stabilizer to 30 and FC to 12. But if the FC did crash and CCs went high, post back and let us know.

Reactions: splashpad
Yup, you're going to need some CYA in there or any chlorine you add will be just an "offering to the sun gods" instead of the killing beast it could be for you.

Take it up to 30ppm CYA either using liquid CYA or granular CYA in a thin sock or stocking leg placed in the skimmer. Immediately after start your SLAM.

May the force be with you!

Maddie :flower:

I haven’t added any yet. I have 10% liquid chlorine. I am just making sure I have all my ducks in a row before I start Slam
So your first step is:
  1. Use PoolMath to add (raise to) FC/10
    • wait 15min
  2. Test FC, is it Fc/8-10?
    • No: Repeat steps 1 & 2 until it holds
    • Yes, go on to SLAM Process
  3. Add enough stabilizer in sock hanging in front of return for Goal CYA/30
  4. Add enough chlorine to target FC/12 (CYA/30 shock) from FC/CYA Levels

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What about the stabilizer when do I need to put it in?
As long as your FC didn't immediately crash to nothing, and it doesn't sound like it did, you can add the stabilizer now via the sock method for a gaol of 30. Then increase the FC to 12 and SLAM away!

Sock method?
Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) and put the measured amount of CYA you need. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't just toss the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

Sock method?
In order to simplify, TFP is modifying our CYA addition method. The instructions will read....

Solid/granular cyanuric acid (CYA) should be placed in a sock and the sock put in
the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return. After adding CYA you
should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for
a week. Squeezing the sock periodically will help it to dissolve faster. Test and
dose chemicals in your pool assuming the amount of CYA added is in the pool
according to Poolmath. CYA can be tested the day after it is fully dissolved from
the sock.

In order to simplify, TFP is modifying our CYA addition method. The instructions will read....

Solid/granular cyanuric acid (CYA) should be placed in a sock and the sock put in
the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return. After adding CYA you
should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for
a week. Squeezing the sock periodically will help it to dissolve faster. Test and
dose chemicals in your pool assuming the amount of CYA added is in the pool
according to Poolmath. CYA can be tested the day after it is fully dissolved from
the sock.
I started Slam this morning so I can monitor it all day. By pool math calculator I added 3.5 gallons of liquid chlorine 10% to get it to 12 ppm assuming cya is 30 (I added my stabilizer for that CYA) I brushed the pool and took my first test about 45 min after putting bleach in.When I took the reading it was 17.5 PPM. Is that normal I even checked it twice? Oh I forgot I took a test before I started Slam and had 0 PPM chlorine and 7.5 PH .

I started Slam this morning so I can monitor it all day. By pool math calculator I added 3.5 gallons of liquid chlorine 10% to get it to 12 ppm assuming cya is 30 (I added my stabilizer for that CYA) I brushed the pool and took my first test about 45 min after putting bleach in.When I took the reading it was 17.5 PPM. Is that normal I even checked it twice?
  • Did you check FC level before adding?
    • There are a couple of possibilities:
      • the pool might be a little smaller than estimated
      • if the pool gallons are accurate, then the bleach might be slightly stronger % IF it's fresh

Likely your pool is a little smaller than estimated (if the pool gallons are accurate, then the bleach might be slightly stronger % IF it's fresh)
The pool is 18 x36 shallow end 4’ deep end 8’ average of 6’ by pool math it says it is 29,100. It is fresh bleach maybe that is it anyway I am off to slamming ? thanks for all y’all’s help have a great and blessed day. Johnny B.

Reactions: splashpad
The pool is 18 x36 shallow end 4’ deep end 8’ average of 6’ by pool math it says it is 29,100
It sounds like the bleach might be 12.5% strength, which is good!!
When the FC drops enough to raise back up, change the PoolMath bleach strength to 12.5 and see if that hits target :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.