Ferndale, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have a basketball hoop but it was probably installed when my pool was built in 1991. it's old and falling apart and I get rust stains on my deck. I want this one:

Regulation Clear Hoop

but this one says recommended for salt pools
Deck Shoot Clear

So is that what I should stick with or would I be ok with the first one?

Reactions: dmlk
The good for salt pools is a myth. Regular chlorine pools have plenty of their own salt after a few years. Usually at least 1/3 if not 2/3 and even at full salt pool levels, its only 10% of ocean water. No matter which hoop you decide, installing it carefully without scratching or marking the finish is what will make it last. Any damage to the finish and it will rust from the rain alone.

As far as I am seeing, both of those products list everything as being stainless steel, with the exception of the one 'recommended for salt pools' having a powder coated aluminum pole, versus a full stainless steel pole for the other. So neither of them should have any components that will rust.

Looked at a few other options they have also. They use SS and/or aluminum poles and vinyl coated SS rims on everything I looked at.

--Jeff

Our PB advised that there was no reason to get the 'special salt water version' hoop. Going on 3 years of use now and still looks new, though we do pull and store it inside for the winter.

Our PB advised that there was no reason to get the 'special salt water version' hoop. Going on 3 years of use now and still looks new, though we do pull and store it inside for the winter.

Interesting. the one we have is not something we can pull out. next question. the Dunn-Rite guy said i needed to core a 5 inch hole for those. My hoop's pole is about 3 inches? So, who do I call to do this?

Interesting. the one we have is not something we can pull out. next question. the Dunn-Rite guy said i needed to core a 5 inch hole for those. My hoop's pole is about 3 inches? So, who do I call to do this?

My local pool store does concrete coring. I was quoted about $600 for just the hole and installation of a rail. 5" for a 3" pole is about right you need room to seat the anchor and back-fill around it. The hoop hopefully included an escutcheon to hide the transition. Be sure if this is a metal anchor you will have an issue since metal anchors need to be attached to your pools electrical bonding grid. You can use a special plastic coated metal anchor or just a plastic anchor without bonding.

I should have stated that ours fits into embedded sleeves. But dont you have to chip out your deck anyway to remove the old one? Not sure how its done, but the hole created just to get out the old one may already be close to 5".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My local pool store does concrete coring. I was quoted about $600 for just the hole and installation of a rail. 5" for a 3" pole is about right you need room to seat the anchor and back-fill around it. The hoop hopefully included an escutcheon to hide the transition. Be sure if this is a metal anchor you will have an issue since metal anchors need to be attached to your pools electrical bonding grid. You can use a special plastic coated metal anchor or just a plastic anchor without bonding.

My pool store does coring too, they quote me $500. They don't sell the dunn rite goal and I don't care for the one they do have, So I wonder if they will install it for me or if I should do it myself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.