Basic Whisperflo + Easy Touch question

Aug 29, 2017
Henderson
Sorry for the very basic question but I havent been able to find the answer.
I just got a whisperflo VST installed to replace my old pump which was probably some old intelliflo version. The old setup had a com cable going from the pump to my Easy Touch panel. The new one does not but it is somehow still communicating with the panel? How does that work?

T,

The only way an EasyTouch can communicate with any pump is via a cable.. Either an RS-485 com cable or a discreate digital input cable.

Something is not right. I assume the pump is running an internal schedule and it is not connected to the EasyTouch.

Can you actually change the pump speeds using the EasyTouch?

Maybe the EasyTouch is just controlling the AC voltage going to the pump and is just turning the pump on and off.

Tell us the part number of the pump you have... Is it an 011533 or ????

Thanks,

Jim R.

The Whisperflo VST pump uses a different comm cable then the IntelliFlo pumps. The Whisperflo VST pump has an 8 pin connector while the IntelliFlo pumps use a 7 pin connector. Also the comm cable is included with IntelliFlo pumps and it is not included with WhisperFlo pumps.

My guess is your installer did not have the needed comm cable. Also they seem to be hard to find.

You will need the RS-485 Automation Wiring Kit (P/N 356324z) for the comm cable.

Some members have built their own cable in this thread...

spa-datacomm-port-jpg.369681

T,

The only way an EasyTouch can communicate with any pump is via a cable.. Either an RS-485 com cable or a discreate digital input cable.

Something is not right. I assume the pump is running an internal schedule and it is not connected to the EasyTouch.

Can you actually change the pump speeds using the EasyTouch?

Maybe the EasyTouch is just controlling the AC voltage going to the pump and is just turning the pump on and off.

Tell us the part number of the pump you have... Is it an 011533 or ????

Thanks,

Jim R.
Ill get the number tomorrow when it's light out.
It's very odd indeed. There is no com cable connected yet my remote to the easy touch panel seems to work fine. The panel works fine. They even changed the schedule via the remote and that seemed to work as well.
Im thinking what you said about the voltage might be it. I'm wondering if this was intended since they dont supply the com cable anymore? I just dont want whatever this setup is right now to be harmful. As for the cable, they did in fact have one but just didnt know what it was used for since everything appeared to be working correctly lol

T,

With your old pump, were you able to change the speed of the pump using your remote?

As an example.. Did the pump change speed when you changed from the pool mode to the spa mode? Or maybe when you turned on a water feature?

If so, you should see if the new pump changes speeds now..

Thanks,

Jim R.

T,

Although you have a VS pump, it is set up to run only one speed. This means that the EasyTouch is just turning it on and off.

If you only what one speed, then you don't really need to RS-485 cable.

The speed your pump runs has been programmed inside the pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

T,

Normally, when you have an automation system, you would program several speeds.

One speed for normal pool use
One speed for better skimming
One speed for normal spa use
One speed for additional spa action
One speed for a suction cleaner..
One speed for ??????

That said, if you are happy with the one speed you have, then there is no requirement to add additional speeds. It mainly means that the pump installers did not really have a clue about what they were doing... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

You have a spa attached to your pool. I suspect you will want to run the pump at a higher rpm when using the spa.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.