[Basic] test kit additions - CYA and Cl

volcano

Bronze Supporter
Jun 29, 2018
Central NY
I've been successful for the past three years with the very-basic K-1004 kit. I add enouch CYA to bring us to ~40 ppm (calculated) and add an extra "glug" of bleach daily to make sure it's slightly above 5 ppm, since I can't measure CYA and can't measure Cl above 5 ppm.

I check pH daily as well and add muriatic acid as needed-- the K-1004 works fine for that.

I really don't need all the bells and whistles of the TF-100 kit but I'd like to actually measure CYA and Cl (beyond the 5ppm max of the K-1004). My inclination at this point is to buy these two add-ons, but is there a better approach?

For CYA: CYA (Cyanuric Acid) Test
For Cl: FAS/DPD Chlorine & CC's test
The Cl kit linked above feels like overkill-- I've never needed to differentiate between FC and CC because we keep the Cl levels high enough that I've never had an algae problem, so I've never needed to SLAM. Our pool does not stay up year-round so the water starts "fresh" each summer. I don't want to pay for more kit than we need and just have the reagents expire before we use them! But on the flip side, happy to pay for these two add-ons if this is the most logical approach. Is there another option I'm missing? Thanks!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Your kit tests fc & total chlorine
so total chlorine- fc =cc
The only issue i see with u not having the fas/dpd test is the 5ppm limitation as u mentioned since you should target 7ppm w/ a cya of 40 but u have no way to confirm it.
As u stated you can just drain & refill instead of trying to perform a SLAM Process since you’re pool is so small.
Properly stored fas/dpd regeants & powder can remain good for 2 years if stored properly. I like to put those silica packets in my kit.
The cya test would definitely be beneficial to you & the regeant for that will last almost indefinitely if stored in a cool dark place.

Thanks so much for the replies! What I forgot to mention (or mentioned and then accidentally deleted in my editing) is that we're upgrading our 10' intex to a 9' x 18' intex, which would make draining/refilling much more challenging-- we're on well water and all of our water goes through an iron filter, so even filling the 10' intex takes us a few days. Hence wanting to have a better idea of CYA and Cl to prevent any problems!

Sounds like the FAS-DPD and CYA kits are the way to go-- I'll get those ordered right away.

Thanks!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.