MrSethTaylor

Jul 17, 2023
Sacramento, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have an older k1004 kit I have been using and recently after a replaster I thought I would pickup a k2005 so I could monitor calcium and alk more closely. That being said I'm having a heck of a time with the new kit. Attaching a picture for reference. The old 1004 on the left is matching what the strips and store say I have. Also the old kit showed 5ppm on Monday and is now down to 1 or less (I expect it to go down over time). The new kit on the right shows what I'm reading as a 5 - and hasn't changed, same reading today as on Monday. Both tests were for Free Chlorine in this picture but the results are similar for the total. I tested tap water with both kits and both showed no detectable chlorine.

What am I doing wrong, what's wrong with the test kit...

Attachments

• 20230720_091049.jpg
    20230720_091049.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 8
Hey Seth and Welcome !!!!

What you're seeing is *exactly* why we reccomend the fas/dpd FC test (Taylor K1515). The comparator block test just isn't up to snuff. It also doesn't go above 5 which is too low for most of our members.

You should expect to see a daily loss of 2 to 4 ppm daily, over the season. It's less in the spring/fall and more now. So that means 4 per day loss now, give or take.

Have a read. We'd love to show you how to do it on the cheap and easy.

Pool Care Basics
FC/CYA Levels
Test Kits Compared
How Clear is TFP Clear?

Reactions: reggiehammond
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.