CYA and Chlorine

Thomas Vegas

Mar 5, 2019
Las Vegas
Hello the community

I understood the relation CYA and Chlorine, moreover, I have few questions:
If my CYA is low 5, could I use Trichlor tabs until my CYA has a decent amount (around 40)
Most of the time, I used liquid chlorine but with low CYA, I understand Cl disappears quickly.
Also I am feeling dumb to add conditionner, considering most of the people have to empty (or half) their pool to reduce it, in addition I am using and have tabs when I am travel and when I can't take care the pool daily (don't have conditionner). I have a cover which protect the water from UVs.

Another question, if my CYA is around 50 (in the good range), should I stop to use tabs? And only liquid Cl?
The liquid Cl is protected in this case?

Somebody notice using liquid Cl raise pH? (I used a lot of muriatic)

Unfortunately tabs without CYA doesn't exist...

Thank you

Tabs have their place when you know you have room in the CYA ot use them. Temps are getting warn in the Vegas valley, so you need a CYA of about 40 or 50 now. Tabs will take too long to get there. I would add stabilizer for a CYA goal of at least 30 or 40 now, then use tabs to slowly creep up where you want it.

Reactions: woodyp
Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the PoolMath APP into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. After about 30 minutes of soaking, squeeze the sock continuously to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Reactions: Thomas Vegas
I did the test with the R-0013 (and didn't have the black dot disappear) meaning it's less than 30
So I went to the pool store to confirm my result, and they told me 5
The pool store test may or may not be accurate. Without knowing how accurate your store is, the number is suspect.

I would add about 20ppm of stabilizer. Let it dissolve, wait a couple of days. Test again. If still below 30, you can add another 10ppm and creep up toward the CYA desired from there with tablets.

Are some of your other results from the pool store also?

Post a full set of test results from your K-2006 test kit.
As your PoolMath logs are already linked to your forum account, post and save them there.

Believe in your testing from your K-2006.
Don't waste your time going to the PS for testing - they are consistently less than accurate.
We don't offer advice based on PS testing or test strips.

Reactions: Thomas Vegas
We don't offer advice based on PS testing or test strips.
Haha, I understand your scepticism, I don't like PS neither, but I believe the results are correct, Leslie (in Vegas) use an electronic devices, which in my opinion is at least consistent on the results (if may or may not accurate)

Anyway my CYA is closer 30 now, after added stabilizer and tested by myself. I will probably add a bit more stab as IceShadows suggested to be at 40ish. Thank you IceShadows for the advice!
By just curious and to help me to understand, if my CYA was less than 20 and if I used only tabs, the Cl dissolved from the tabs is protected or not? (Is it a difference between a Cl from liquid Cl VS a Cl from tabs with CYA or are they the same?). My question makes senses?

Thank you guys for the help

Just because they have fancy electronic devices doesn't mean they are accurate.
And no one cares about your pool as much as you do (or should).
You have one of the best test kits available - use it and trust its results.

Pool store results - whether manual testing or electronic testing have proved inaccurate and inconsistent more times than not.
Many times the equipment isn't cleaned or calibrated as it should be. And your "free" water test is meant to bolster sale of chemicals - many of which you don't need.
But it's your pool to manage however you want. We'll be here when you have issues - but the responses will be the same.

if I used only tabs, the Cl dissolved from the tabs is protected or not? (Is it a difference between a Cl from liquid Cl VS a Cl from tabs with CYA or are they the same?
Free chlorine can be added via tablets (pucks), powdered shock, or liquid chlorine. It is all chlorine, however, only liquid chlorine doesn’t add other binding material like cyanuric acid or calcium to the water with the chlorine.

So, short answer, if you have little to no CYA <30 ppm CYA, any chlorine in the water will burn off quickly from the UV from the sun. So it is best to add stabilizer to get CYA >=30 ppm as quickly as you can. Then supplement when necessary.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Anyway my CYA is closer 30 now, after added stabilizer and tested by myself. I will probably add a bit more stab as IceShadows suggested to be at 40ish. Thank you IceShadows for the advice!
By just curious and to help me to understand, if my CYA was less than 20 and if I used only tabs, the Cl dissolved from the tabs is protected or not? (Is it a difference between a Cl from liquid Cl VS a Cl from tabs with CYA or are they the same?). My question makes senses?

Thank you guys for the help
It’s all about the amount of CYA in the pool. As the tabs dissolve they add FC and CYA. It’s not like the FC is immediately bound to the CYA - that is all chemistry that happens once those chemicals are in the pool. The method of adding them doesn’t matter much.

So if you add powdered dichlor it’s the same as adding the equivalent amounts of liquid FC and dissolved powdered CYA. :)

Free chlorine can be added via tablets (pucks), powdered shock, or liquid chlorine. It is all chlorine, however, only liquid chlorine doesn’t add other binding material like cyanuric acid or calcium to the water with the chlorine.

So, short answer, if you have little to no CYA <30 ppm CYA, any chlorine in the water will burn off quickly from the UV from the sun. So it is best to add stabilizer to get CYA >=30 ppm as quickly as you can. Then supplement when necessary.
It’s all about the amount of CYA in the pool. As the tabs dissolve they add FC and CYA. It’s not like the FC is immediately bound to the CYA - that is all chemistry that happens once those chemicals are in the pool. The method of adding them doesn’t matter much.

So if you add powdered dichlor it’s the same as adding the equivalent amounts of liquid FC and dissolved powdered CYA. :)
Thanks guys for your answer, makes completely sense.
It responds to my questions, the Cl (from a Trichlor Tab) won't be protected if the CYA on the pool is less than 30-40 (as the liquid Cl or powdered)
And a pool with high CYA (around 70), should no be "tab-ed" anymore but only liquid Cl (or drain)

Thank you

Reactions: an1vrsy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.