Basic Pool Automation

Mfama417

Jun 29, 2020
New york
Hello All!

First thread here but I am newer homeowner with a very old inground 16x32 pool! We closed in may and the pool had no equipment so thanks to reading some threads here I was able to do the basic equipment myself and get the pool running this season. I'm starting to get quotes from pool companies to redo my paver patios as well as get a new liner as this one has some leaks. with the age of the pool and having no updates since the 70s when it was installed the PBs are suggesting a replumb and since we are going to do a replumb I am going to relocate the equipment to the side of my house so its out of the way and cant be seen and will have an electrician run new wiring for this location. The pool company suggested since I will be getting a sub panel anyway for the equipment it would be worth it to get some basic amount of automation as they have a subpanel built in. My question to you guys is what will suffice for my build and needs? My equipment is currently a Pentair Superflo VS 1.5HP (342001) pump and a hayward sand filter. The pool is very simple with no spa and just 2 skimmers, 1 bottom drain, and 4 returns. I have no water features or spillovers. I am dosing liquid chlorine 3ish nights a week by testing with my taylor test kits and do not use the inline hayward chlorinator for pucks. The pool building is suggesting a basic pentair easytouch system with SWG built in as i would also like to get a heatpump heater in the future Amazon.com : Pentair 520593 EasyTouch 4PSC-IC40 Single Body Pool Or Spa Control System, Includes SCG Integration & IC40 Cell, Almond : Outdoor Spas : Garden & Outdoor

will this system be able to control my pump with speed setting like i currently have it set up? (8 hours high speed, 8 hours medium speed, 8 hours very low speed) plus my SWG and future heater? Ideally i would love the automation to be able to turn the pump off from the pool while im vaccuming and turn it on in quick clean mode while i vac the pool and back off once im done. Also ideeally if there are automatic values that control the top of the sand filter that would be amazing as well. Alexa or an IOs app would be a bonus. Im having a hard time understanding if the controller will be able to be programed and run my pump at the different speed settings. should i set it up to just power the pump on and off and keep the control speed setting on that mother board? Thank you for all the help!

The Pentair SuperFlo VS cannot be easily controlled by an Automation system...

While I have a simple pool, with an automation system that I love, it is not something that is "required" for pool operation..

If you "want" an automation system, then the one you referenced above is a great system and the one that I have. To fully use that system you will need to have an IntelliFlo pump.

Keep in mind that you don't need an automation system. In my mind, having half an automation system just does not make sense.

If you want to control an EasyTouch using your PC, Phone, or Tablet, then you will also need an add on system called ScreenLogic.. It will give you Screens like this...

View media item 1963

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response, The builder was saying more so since i was thinking about paying for an IC40 and paying for a subpannel an easytouch 4 with the power supply built in was basically the same cost. I see you upgraded yours to an 8, was it as simple as adding relays or did it require more work? Automation was not necessarily something I was interested in but if the cost is the same in the end i cant see how it would hurt to have especially if i can expand the system out over time. Does it make sense to get the intellicenter instead of easy touch for the ability to use my phone and greater expandability? It would be nice to turn the lights on and off from my phone poolside

An EasyTouch will work fine for 90 percent of pool owners. There is no doubt that the IntelliCenter is a newer and better system. To use your phone, pc or tablet, you will need to add ScreenLogic if you have the EasyTouch. The IntelliCenter has its own ScreenLogic-like system which is built into the IntelliCenter.

The cost for an EasyTouch with ScreenLogic, is just about the same as an IntelliCenter.. So cost wise it should be about the same..

Unless you have a very complex pool you do not "need" the IntelliCenter, but if I had the option, I would go with the newer IntelliCenter. But, it your pool builder is going to charge too much or is not willing to install the IntelliCenter, then the old EasyTouch + ScreenLogic will work just fine.

The biggest problem I see is that the SuperFlo VS will not work with either the EasyTouch or the IntelliCenter. Your pump needs to be a 3 HP IntelliFlo. Don't let anyone tell you it is too big for your pool.. Since the IntelliFlo is a Variable Speed pump, it works perfectly with any size pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Following up on this as we draw nearer on finalizing specs and beginning the work and im going back and fourth. I was originally just going to go with something super simple as I have no spa or water features but wanted the ability in the future to upgrade if needed. I had decided in my mind that the intellicenter was the way to go even though it is probably way to complex for my needs of simply being able to see the pump speed and turn my heater and lights up or down but figured it was better to have the latest and greatest. My pool guy just offered me a brand new open box easytouch 520593 4psc-ic40 4 for $1,100 making it about half the price of his intellicenter and the basically same cost as just buying the IC-40 salt system. He says eventually this is upgradeable to the intellicenter should I choose which to me makes this seem like a no brainer but wanted to make sure im not missing something.

Last edited:
Following up on this as we draw nearer on finalizing specs and beginning the work and im going back and fourth. I was originally just going to go with something super simple as I have no spa or water features but wanted the ability in the future to upgrade if needed. I had decided in my mind that the intellicenter was the way to go even though it is probably way to complex for my needs of simply being able to see the pump speed and turn my heater and lights up or down but figured it was better to have the latest and greatest. My pool guy just offered me a brand new open box easytouch 520593 4psc-ic40 4 for $1,100 making it about half the price of his intellicenter and the basically same cost as just buying the IC-40 salt system. He says eventually this is upgradeable to the intellitouch should I choose which to me makes this seem like a no brainer but wanted to make sure im not missing soemthing.

The IntelliTouch is not the same as the IntelliCenter. There is no reason to "upgrade" an EasyTouch to an IntelliTouch. An EasyTouch can only be ungraded to an IntelliCenter by replacing it.

Just want to make sure you are clear on what you are getting. If the ET will meet your needs then it is a good deal at that price.

I'm editing now but I meant eventually it has an upgrade path to the new intellicenter not intellitouch. just seems like a good way to save some money now considering i wont use 95% of the Intellicenter capabilities

Will you get Screenlogic with the EasyTouch for that price?

I think there is a very good chance that the EasyTouch and ScreenLogic will never be significantly upgraded by Pentair. I also think there is a very good chance that you'll be happy with that model for decades and never need or want to upgrade it. It's a tried-n-true unit at a fantastic price. More importantly, considering you're getting an IC40 with it, the controller is virtually free.

I think this is a no brainer.

As near as I can tell from that model number, it doesn't appear to be a "lite" model. Just double-check: when the box shows up, make sure you don't see "PS4" or "PSL4" anywhere on it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.