Baquacil to SWG with Frog Cycler Conversion

The fact you saw that much FC loss during the day isn’t surprising. You have no CYA in the water thus the sun is consuming the majority of it. Once you can grab a set of results we’ll lay out your next steps.

Not a major worry just yet, but let’s make a mental note to address pH quick once the conversion is done. It’s too low. Is this from your TF-100???

Tonight after dark let’s do an OCLT to see where you’re at. I suspect you’re close, but maybe not right there. After dark add enough FC to hit 15 and let the pump run. After a few minutes retest and jot that number down. Retest in the morning again to see your loss. Hopefully you will keep most the chlorine in the water overnight.

Looking at the Conversion article you can say you’re at the “middle part” of the conversion where adding chlorine during the middle of the day isn’t really helpful. It will speed up things slightly, but it does mean much of the FC is consumed by the sun. You may find that only testing/dosing in the early morning and evening will work just fine.

Looks good, let’s get this last little bit and hit an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight! Great Job!!

PS......how often are you brushing? Really give the pool a good scrub including around lights, returns, ladders, skimmers, and anywhere else Baqua can hide out at.

Not a major worry just yet, but let’s make a mental note to address pH quick once the conversion is done. It’s too low. Is this from your TF-100???

Tonight after dark let’s do an OCLT to see where you’re at. I suspect you’re close, but maybe not right there. After dark add enough FC to hit 15 and let the pump run. After a few minutes retest and jot that number down. Retest in the morning again to see your loss. Hopefully you will keep most the chlorine in the water overnight.

Looking at the Conversion article you can say you’re at the “middle part” of the conversion where adding chlorine during the middle of the day isn’t really helpful. It will speed up things slightly, but it does mean much of the FC is consumed by the sun. You may find that only testing/dosing in the early morning and evening will work just fine.

Looks good, let’s get this last little bit and hit an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight! Great Job!!
Will do.. I'll do the OCLT test tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Congrats! You’re so close now.

For starters, don’t stress about chlorine during the day. It will be consumed by the sun. Just add in the evening up to 15ppm. Go ahead now and change the sand and add enough CYA to hit at minimum 30ppm. Keep dosing for a few days to 15ppm and I highly suspect your CC level will start to drop drastically.

Well done!

Congrats! You’re so close now.

For starters, don’t stress about chlorine during the day. It will be consumed by the sun. Just add in the evening up to 15ppm. Go ahead now and change the sand and add enough CYA to hit at minimum 30ppm. Keep dosing for a few days to 15ppm and I highly suspect your CC level will start to drop drastically.

Well done!
Sounds good. It'll be the weekend before I can change the sand. Can I start on bringing the CYA up before I change the sand or should I wait?

Sounds good. It'll be the weekend before I can change the sand. Can I start on bringing the CYA up before I change the sand or should I wait?

As long as you don’t add the CYA directly into the skimmer you’ll be fine. You may continue to see an increased CC level and the pool will consume some additional chlorine, but it won’t hurt much in the grand scheme of things.

I have a dumb question. What's the best way to test the salt level in my pool? I haven't put any salt in it yet but I'm curious if there is some salt in the water by default. I'm going to get salt tomorrow and I want to make sure I get enough and if I need to pick up a salt test kit.

Today I made a lot of progress. I was able to get my sand changed and plumb in the SWG. I plan on wiring in the controller tomorrow. Don't worry, I'm not going to start it up just yet. I'll wait till you guys tell it's time.
I stopped and picked up my salt today and my CYA and have started bringing those levels up. Can I start bringing my pH level up now at the same time as I'm add CYA? Should I still maintain 15ppm Chlorine also?
IMG_0756.jpeg

I stopped and picked up my salt today and my CYA and have started bringing those levels up. Can I start bringing my pH level up now at the same time as I'm add CYA? Should I still maintain 15ppm Chlorine also?

Looks like you’ve made a lot of great progress:)

Keep in mind that a lot of things interact with more than one parameter. For example, CYA will bring the pH down a little. Using a product like ‘pH up’ or soda ash to increase your pH will also increase your TA, possibly by a lot.

Your TA is on the low side of the ideal range for a vinyl lined pool right now, so it won’t hurt to bring it up a little, but you don’t want to overshoot and bring it up too much. You can also bring up your pH without affecting your TA by aerating the water.

You can use the pool math app to see how much all of your parameters will be affected by different chemical additions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.