Baquacil to SWG with Frog Cycler Conversion

Your TA is on the low side of the ideal range for a vinyl lined pool right now, so it won’t hurt to bring it up a little, but you don’t want to overshoot and bring it up too much. You can also bring up your pH without affecting your TA by aerating the water.

You can use the pool math app to see how much all of your parameters will be affected by different chemical additions.
I wouldn't worry about purposely RAISING TA just to get it to a range, I would focus on getting the pH right-without getting TA too high. Seems like pools tend to have their own favorite pH/TA levels. Last year mine was happy around pH 7.4 and TA 50.

Reactions: ssjody
I wouldn't worry about purposely RAISING TA just to get it to a range, I would focus on getting the pH right-without getting TA too high. Seems like pools tend to have their own favorite pH/TA levels. Last year mine was happy around pH 7.4 and TA 50.
That falls in line with what I'm doing now. I've worked on getting getting my pH up today and finished installing my SWG. I did get my CYA level up to 60 and I added my salt today. Almost there!

Well I'm all up and running and my numbers over the last few days have been looking really good. Thanks for all the help on this project and I'm going to wrap this one up huge shout out to all those who helped me through this process! You guys are awesome and to help support this wonderful group I've purchased the Gold membership.

I hope with what I've learned through this that I can pay if forward to someone who wants to tackle this same project in the future. Thanks again! Jody ?
IMG_0766.jpeg

Jody. I finally posted today and am halfway thru my conversion. I mentioned and wanted to thank you for your posts during your conversion....Very helpful!!
Ed
Awesome! It was by far the best thing I have done for my pool! You're gonna be so glad you did this! The people on this board who helped me through that process are wonderful and If you get stuck on anything don't hesitate to ask these experts. They're great folks!

Last edited:
ssjody, curious about the levels of Baquacil in the pool before you started this. Did you by chance get a ready prior?

I had the pool store use their spinner to get a final Baqua test done.
Biguanide 16 ppm
Biguanide Shock 0 ppm
pH 7.5
Alkalinity 47 ppm
CH 175 ppm
Iron 0.2
Copper 0 ppm

I have 20 gallons of Hampton Liquid Shock, 12.5% -cocked, locked and ready to shock!

I will of course start my own thread and post pics.... after we get our batch of 3.5" of snow on the NW side of Ohio tomorrow night. Free fresh water from the heavens!

Reactions: Newdude
ssjody, curious about the levels of Baquacil in the pool before you started this. Did you by chance get a ready prior?

I had the pool store use their spinner to get a final Baqua test done.
Biguanide 16 ppm
Biguanide Shock 0 ppm
pH 7.5
Alkalinity 47 ppm
CH 175 ppm
Iron 0.2
Copper 0 ppm

I have 20 gallons of Hampton Liquid Shock, 12.5% -cocked, locked and ready to shock!

I will of course start my own thread and post pics.... after we get our batch of 3.5" of snow on the NW side of Ohio tomorrow night. Free fresh water from the heavens!
I didn't. I fully expected that I would have much Biguanide left after the winter and I was rather surprised at how much was actually left. I wish I would have got some readings before I started like you did. Good thinking!

Today I made a lot of progress. I was able to get my sand changed and plumb in the SWG. I plan on wiring in the controller tomorrow. Don't worry, I'm not going to start it up just yet. I'll wait till you guys tell it's time.
I stopped and picked up my salt today and my CYA and have started bringing those levels up. Can I start bringing my pH level up now at the same time as I'm add CYA? Should I still maintain 15ppm Chlorine also?
View attachment 131440
How's the SWG working out? What model is that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jody I don’t think I’ve helped here much, but I have LURKED and am greatful for taking the ride with you. THANKs and Well done !!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.