Baquacil to SWG with Frog Cycler Conversion

ssjody

Gold Supporter
Apr 7, 2018
Union, KY
Hi, Jody here. I have a 16x32 inground 13,500 gallon pool put in the fall of 2017. Like a fool I let the installer talk me into the expensive Baqucil w/CDX system. 1st season went great and had no issues. 2nd year I started developing pink slime just like all the threads said I would so I've decided to go with the Salt Water generator and a Frog Cycler. I made my decision to go this route based on feedback from my sister who has this same type of SWG setup and she has been very happy with it.

I've purchased an CircuPool RJ30+ chlorine generator and a Frog 5400 series system. I also bought a TF-100 test kit for water testing. I haven't installed any these items yet. I did some research and it sounded like a good idea to me to do the conversion in the spring when I open the pool back up. That way the pool has had time to lose as much of the Baqucil products as possible.

I need your guys help. I want to start getting my plan together and to make sure I have everything I need to make this conversion go as smooth as possible. I plan on taking a weeks vacation and dedicate that solely too doing this conversion. I'm a very mechanical person and do all my own home repairs and upgrades myself. I'm confident in electrical wiring and have no fears of taking on this project but I want to go into this with a solid plan. I've been reading and researching for a couple of months off and on and figured I'd just start this task off using the expert opinions of you folks. Very impressed with the level of knowledge on this forum! Kudo's to all of you!

Initial questions:
  1. I've read about percarbonate being used as the initial step for the conversion. Should I attempt that? If so what do I need to get in preparation for it.
  2. I was thinking I'd get the baqacil to chlorine conversion done before I add the new SWG equipment. One less variable to deal with during the conversion process if I hold off until the water is converted and stabilities

Hey there Jody :handwave:

Start scouting out your source for the cheapest, yet strong enough liquid chlorine. Walmart often sells 10% liquid chlorine in the pool section and it is ideal as it has no other unwanted additives. You'll be needing a fair quantity so be prepared. You'll also want to make sure the date codes are new (no more than 3 months old). My husband Skippy just brought some home produced in January 2020, so that's a win. What you don't want is them to pull old stock out of the back that's aged into plain water by the time you use it. Another source for plain liquid chlorine might be your local pool stores- some places sell it in refillable jugs, others don't. So price it out and find your best source.

Please return that Frog system. Its just about as bad as the Bacqua stuff. Really. Trust us.

Take lots of pictures of the first time you pour chlorine into the pool- if there is still enough Bacqua in there it will by like a wild 70s acid trip :laughblue:

Maddie :flower:

I would suggest you also reconsider your choice of using a 'Frog' device.
Please return that Frog system. Its just about as bad as the Bacqua stuff. Really. Trust us.
I appreciate the advice! I have my receipt and will return the Frog. Thanks for the heads up. I will start picking up some liquid chlorine. Without knowing how much baquacil is remaining in my pool it's tough to guess how much I'll need, but what would be a good start? 10-20 gallons?

Reactions: Shirker
@Leebo has more knowledge on Baquacil but I do know the Cdx will make the process more difficult. Is it possible for you to do a drain or water exchange to make it easier?

Hey Jody and welcome to posting. Marty and Maddie here are well respected chemistry Gurus and you’d be hard pressed to find more knowledgeable people to be helping you.

Anyway I’m still learning the chemistry myself but I can give you real world experience with the frog and similar systems. I watched my kids get rashes and have their hair turn green several times with my own eyes. It took a few times to realize it was the neighbors pool doing it. Once there was no lasting harm done, We kinda found it hysterical but the neighbor is horrified about it to this day.

if you went frog AND swg you wouldn’t get the rashes because the SWG would make it sanitary at least, but you would get the stained hair and pool/equipment eventually.

I appreciate the advice! I have my receipt and will return the Frog. Thanks for the heads up. I will start picking up some liquid chlorine. Without knowing how much baquacil is remaining in my pool it's tough to guess how much I'll need, but what would be a good start? 10-20 gallons?

There’s a good chance you’ll be kinda low on Baquacil coming out of the Winter. Very smart move preforming this conversion early in the year. As Marty mentioned a drain/refill will also assist you a fair amount depending on the amount of Baquacil in your water. All depends on the amount of Baquacil in the water.

Of you had to purchase chlorine now do two things, buy 12% if you can as it’s cheapest and lean towards the 20+ gallons verses the 10 as I’m sure you’ll need at least that much.

Lastly, add one more vote for ditching the Frog setup.

Great. Find a source for liquid chlorine. You will need it!

if you can fill out your signature that will help for future questions.

I'm on Cistern water so I'm hoping I can do this with doing a drain refill. I know that's probably ideal but for me it's expensive to have the water hauled in.

Got ya totally! We’ve got high iron in our well so know the pains of trucking in water oh so well. As a tip, remove the cover now unless you’ve got a ton of trees around. Collect as much rain as you can before you convert. The more fresh water in the pool, the better. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got ya totally! We’ve got high iron in our well so know the pains of trucking in water oh so well. As a tip, remove the cover now unless you’ve got a ton of trees around. Collect as much rain as you can before you convert. The more fresh water in the pool, the better. ?
I've got a mesh cover and a lot of rain! Thanks for the tip!

Definitely wait until converted before adding the SWCG.
I think i used some Potassium monopersulfate initially when i converted, but i would not do it again, not necessary.
You should also check Menards for liquid chlorine. they have bogo sales in spring and midsummer. really good deals. just be sure to check the manufacture dates as already mentioned.
If you dont drain/refill, a minimal benefit will be a reduced amount of salt you need to add for the SWCG. ok, so very minimal benefit.

Good luck. and remember, It's a great day to be alive!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.