Chessmom

Sep 18, 2019
Florida
We are going to a new pool place and got our water sample checked. They suggested 12 lbs of Alkaline and 6 cups of Muriatic acid. I’m confused. Doesn’t one lower and one raise the Ph? Why would you do that?
thanks

I suspect they need the sale more than you need the chemicals.

Pool stores have much narrower parameters on stuff that isn't critical than we do. That alkaline stuff? It's baking soda. No matter what they claim, it's no different than the stuff you pick up at the grocery store for one quarter the cost. And I'll bet it's fine. If the pH is high, then yes, you need acid. Do you need as much as they say? No way to know. You're not giving us test results and we wouldn't trust 'em anyway.

Reactions: Chessmom
I suspect they need the sale more than you need the chemicals.

Pool stores have much narrower parameters on stuff that isn't critical than we do. That alkaline stuff? It's baking soda. No matter what they claim, it's no different than the stuff you pick up at the grocery store for one quarter the cost. And I'll bet it's fine. If the pH is high, then yes, you need acid. Do you need as much as they say? No way to know. You're not giving us test results and we wouldn't trust 'em anyway.
Thanks Richard! Unfortunately we took water to our usual place and this one that a friend recommended. One test they said just add 3 lbs of stabilizer. The other place said 6 cups of acid, 12 lbs of Alkaline, and a bag of salt and said we didn’t need stabilizer. We had just let water out after a few good rain storms so I assumed the need for salt. But to be honest, no one has ever suggested using the alkaline.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.