Balancing the Ph.

Chessmom

Sep 18, 2019
Florida
We are going to a new pool place and got our water sample checked. They suggested 12 lbs of Alkaline and 6 cups of Muriatic acid. I’m confused. Doesn’t one lower and one raise the Ph? Why would you do that?
thanks

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Welcome to the forum!
The 'Alkaline' raises TA and acid lowers pH and TA. Typical Pool Store bad advice.
Get your own test kit. I recommend the TF100 from TFTestkits.net.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: Chessmom

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
I suspect they need the sale more than you need the chemicals.

Pool stores have much narrower parameters on stuff that isn't critical than we do. That alkaline stuff? It's baking soda. No matter what they claim, it's no different than the stuff you pick up at the grocery store for one quarter the cost. And I'll bet it's fine. If the pH is high, then yes, you need acid. Do you need as much as they say? No way to know. You're not giving us test results and we wouldn't trust 'em anyway.

Reactions: Chessmom

Chessmom

Sep 18, 2019
Florida
I suspect they need the sale more than you need the chemicals.

Pool stores have much narrower parameters on stuff that isn't critical than we do. That alkaline stuff? It's baking soda. No matter what they claim, it's no different than the stuff you pick up at the grocery store for one quarter the cost. And I'll bet it's fine. If the pH is high, then yes, you need acid. Do you need as much as they say? No way to know. You're not giving us test results and we wouldn't trust 'em anyway.
Thanks Richard! Unfortunately we took water to our usual place and this one that a friend recommended. One test they said just add 3 lbs of stabilizer. The other place said 6 cups of acid, 12 lbs of Alkaline, and a bag of salt and said we didn’t need stabilizer. We had just let water out after a few good rain storms so I assumed the need for salt. But to be honest, no one has ever suggested using the alkaline.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.