Balancing TA and using a New SWG

Brian W

Bronze Supporter
Apr 25, 2020
Brea, California
My latest TFT test kit results (last evening) after turning on the SWG for the first two days (new pool=1 month)

FC 8
CC 0
CYA 70
TA 180 (That's my tap fill water as well)
PH 7.6
CH 250
SALT (Strip) says 3100 (Pool Math says it should be 3500)
Temp 84 ( I have a clear solar cover-- my son with autism likes it warm)

The guidance for a SWG says to lower the TA to 60-80 (important!); the guidance for lowering TA says only do it for lower the rate of PH rising or high CSI. The

So I have four questions:

First, What do I do about TA?

Second. I tested the water at the end of the pump/swg cycle with the pump still running, w/o being in the pool all day. Is this when I should test? Or in the morning 1/2 hour after the pump starts, or without the pump running? My pump runs 8-10 at 3400rpm; 10-8 at 1400 rpm, 8-10 2200 rpm (I don't know GPM),

Second, the Chlorine/CYA chart says 3 min 5 target, so is 8 way to high (safe?)

Third does it matter if I tested away from the skimmer/rj or not?

Four, how will temperature and pool cover affect things? Algae in particular.

Thanks in advance

Brian

1. Leave your TA alone for now. Allow 30 days or so for you to get everything else sailing smoothly (you're pretty close already) and then read the article in pool School about lowering TA

2. It's safe but a little wasteful. Stay as close to the TFP suggested levels as you can without obsessing over them.

3. Doesn't matter probably at all but it's a good idea to perform the same routine when testing so that would mean sampling from the same place each time, too

4. Controlling algae gets easier as it gets cooler and the cover helps you retain your chlorine better. But, here's the three things to remember about Algae.... CHLORINE, CHLORINE, CHLORINE. Manage that correctly by reading learning and understanding and Mr Algae will leave you alone

Those are really good test results. What does your water look like?

I have the Edge 40 also, I try and keep my FC around 6. Don’t go below 5, I did and regretted it when I got algae. You will find the water is smooth and not sticky like it was using tablets or liquid so 8 isn’t that bad.
It takes a few days to settle, could always drop it a bar and watch the FC.
Strips are close and the Edge seems very forgiving so just watch the low salt light. Mine ran for a couple months then came on and I just added 3 more bags and happy again.

Thank you both,

My water looks really clear right now.

It's hard not to obsess though! Too much to learn, to many ways to make mistakes. I read that it's not that hard, but there's a reason this forum exists with so many people and so many questions world-wide!!

.I am not overly confident with my cya reading but it's probably pretty close. I may try to bump it a notch.
The testing kit and the stirrer are big helps to my sanity.

If/when I lower my TA, I believe my PH should drop, do you try to lower TA a little at a time or all at once? With my fill how often will I need to test/worry about it?

Thank you both,

My water looks really clear right now.

It's hard not to obsess though! Too much to learn, to many ways to make mistakes. I read that it's not that hard, but there's a reason this forum exists with so many people and so many questions world-wide!!

.I am not overly confident with my cya reading but it's probably pretty close. I may try to bump it a notch.
The testing kit and the stirrer are big helps to my sanity.

If/when I lower my TA, I believe my PH should drop, do you try to lower TA a little at a time or all at once? With my fill how often will I need to test/worry about it?
I wouldn't worry about CYA, Like Dave said leave it alone for 30 days and make sure your FC stays up above 5..
When I first installed mine I tested the FC every day then every few days and realized it was always 6..The nice part was I went on vacation for 8 days and came back and still at 6 :)

I may try to bump it a notch.
There is no reason to do that. Leave it alone.

Your questions about TA are all covered in the "lowering TA" article in Pool School. My suggestion again is that you not address your least important parameter for 30 days but everyone who subscribes to TFP principles learns they can manage their own pool any way they choose..

I bow to your knowledge and your experience :)

Don't fix what isn't broken is what I am hearing, or perhaps there is no such thing as perfect.

I truly do appreciate all that I have learned, and am still learning through the collective guidance and wisdom of the members of this site.

Reactions: markayash
Once you get that 30 days of pool water management under your belt, I think your TA will have come down some on it's own and you will be prepared to put it where you want it.......TA and CH are not "do it immediately" items but FC, CYA and pH are.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.