Balancing Hot Tub

TheMax

Aug 13, 2020
Ontario
Hi Guy's

Hot Tub 450 Gallons
Fresh fill week ago, haven't used it yet...
UV and Ozone

ColorQ 2X Results:

FCL 0.09
TCL 0.035
pH 7.6
ALK 98
CA 146
CYA24

Hot Tub store Results ( SpinDisk )
Total 0.1
Free 0.1
pH 7.8
TA 84
CA 106

They suggest I add some TA+ and then PH-

I know I'm low on Chlorine, Im looking at getting Taylor kit but I have issues with Colors :(

Your ph is fine & ta is a dab high for a hot tub
Get some liquid chlorine in there asap to get to 12ppm since it’s been so low.
did u purge your new tub w/ ahhsome?
usePoolMath to calculate additions.
Here’s a great write up on using chlorine for a spa

Reactions: TheMax
Hello,

Yes sir, purged with Ahhsome!
I just added 36 grams of dichlor granules, 1.27 oz that should bring me to 12 pp.

Thank you, Im so confused...

Hot Tub Manual says:

pH 7.8 with Ozone or 7.2-7.6 with out ozone? Not sure what ozone changes.
Hardness 150 to 280 ppm - should I add more calcium ?
Alkanity 80-150 optimal 120

My tap fill via filter numbers were:

TA: 90
CA: 98
pH 7.2

Pool place asked me to add lots of Alkalinity Riser and lots ot Calcium... So I did.. Numbers in first post are after adding all that stuff

Wasn't my initial fresh fill better, then what I have now with adding their Crud ? pH was low but it would raise from aeration...

I wonder if Im better of dump, re fill and just raise calcium ?

And leave rest as is ?

Thank you

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Glad to hear u did a purge of your new spa!
In general the recommended levels listed in the sticky I posted above are just like the other tfp recommended levels - scientifically researched recommendations tested in the real world by real owners to promote the safety & longevity of their users/equipment. I don’t think they’re all that far apart from your manufacturer recs.
The pool store recs. are a whole nother subject 😳
You could try to meet in the middle if it makes u feel better. Especially since you’re spa is new & i’m sure the warranty is a concern for you.
If you continue w/dichlor use u will be having a fc/cya issue once that gets past 30-40 ppm range.
here’s some more info on ozone which can cause ph rise so maybe that’s why they allow a higher ph w/ it in use.
Ozone Systems - Further Reading
Your particular situation will determine whether or not u feel its a good fit for u to use it.
As far as The uv Is concerned i am not well versed in the pros or cons of such systems.
@JoyfulNoise or @RDspaguy likely can help u out with that decision.

For what it’s worth - i do not have any of the uv/ozone stuff. I use the dichlor then bleach method w/ a drop in swg along with the other recommended levels in the sticky thread.
Every few weeks depending upon splashout i use dichlor to shock which also replenishes my cya. The rest of the time my swg keeps Fc levels quite consistent unless i have a longer soak or larger bather load than just myself & for those times I bring it to shock level with bleach. Upon startup I get my ta 50 -60 , add 30ppm borates & bring my ch to 150.
My ph stays @ 7.5/7.6 unless I replace a lot of water.
it’s really not alot of fuss.

Reactions: TheMax
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.