Austin TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I’d like to get some third party opinions before I meet with my pool builder tomorrow, especially any with tile experience.

We just had our tile completed on our build and I’m disappointed in the tile job on our SPA overflow. I’ve attached a picture. Is there a way to cut tiles this small and make them look better? Or is this as good as it gets?

Attachments

• 97F09A24-44C9-4AC2-A46E-9883FF616D31.jpeg
    97F09A24-44C9-4AC2-A46E-9883FF616D31.jpeg
    793.2 KB · Views: 133
That is terrible in my opinion.

It looks to me like the workman did not have the right tools to make clean cuts and used a nipper to bite chunks out of the tile until they fit.

It takes some artistry and pride in their work with the right tools and experience to get it right. Whoever did that was lacking a lot.

@jimmythegreek whaddaya think?

Reactions: Nikilyn
I’m not a tile pro but I don’t understand always they would miter the corners. It’s a sheet of small tiles. They should just line the sheets up next to each other.
Glass tiles are extremely hard to cut without chipping. Most people would just cut the mesh backing to the size they need not the actual glass tile. I’d be very upset. Good thing is they can simply take them out and replace without mitering them. Stand firm and good luck.

Reactions: Nikilyn and Newdude
Ooof. No care was taken there whatsoever. Shame on them. I think the grout will make it stand out worse and it needs to be redone. You don't care about their headache and profit loss to do so because it never should have been ok to set in the first place. They will cash your checks and never return. You will see that everytime you walk by forever. No way. No how.

Are the other spots/corners/joints/seams as bad, or were they all ok ?

Reactions: Jmerges
I think I see 1 good match on the diagonal. I would not accept it - rip it out and start again. He should have started in the corner

Ooof. No care was taken there whatsoever. Shame on them. I think the grout will make it stand out worse and it needs to be redone. You don't care about their headache and profit loss to do so because it never should have been ok to set in the first place. They will cash your checks and never return. You will see that everytime you walk by forever. No way. No how.

Are the other spots/corners/joints/seams as bad, or were they all ok ?

No there are other parts that look bad too. I just needed the reassurance because I’ve already had them redo the coping which is another story. At this point I feel like I’m getting the “high maintenance customer” treatment.

I honestly think I’m going to look at it with him together tomorrow and see if he says anything. I’m tired of “tattling” on the subs.

The really frustrating thing is I suggested to the tile sub that we not miter the tile and just stack them next to each other. He said something about the 12”x12” sheets not working. I agreed assuming this is his trade so he knows best.

No there are other parts that look bad too
Well there is that. :)
I just needed the reassurance
You had 5 of us basically say the same thing in rapid fire sequence. Its not you.
I’m tired of “tattling” on the subs
BullFEATHERS !!!! I don't know what you are paying but I darn sure know the ballpark and it. Is. Not. Cheap. If you can't get the quality of work that you are paying for then why are you paying ?

Reactions: Jmerges
I could be wrong about them being able to stack them but as long as they are squares like they look it shouldn’t be a problem. Another thing I would think they can do is kind of weave the 2 sheets together by stair stepping them down each tile on a diagonal. Again I’m not a tile person but definitely know what he did is not normal. Even if it does have to be mitered there is a special blade they should be using so the glass doesn’t chip and maybe he was supposed to tape the front side of the tile to prevent it from chipping.

Well there is that. :)

You had 5 of us basically say the same thing in rapid fire sequence. Its not you.

BullFEATHERS !!!! I don't know what you are paying but I darn sure know the ballpark and it. Is. Not. Cheap. If you can't get the quality of work that you are paying for then why are you paying ?
Haha, I know and believe me I am not a pushover. I want the builder to be accountable for quality control not the sub contractor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I could be wrong about them being able to stack them but as long as they are squares like they look it shouldn’t be a problem. Another thing I would think they can do is kind of weave the 2 sheets together by stair stepping them down each tile on a diagonal. Again I’m not a tile person but definitely know what he did is not normal. Even if it does have to be mitered there is a special blade they should be using so the glass doesn’t chip and maybe he was supposed to tape the front side of the tile to prevent it from chipping.
Good to know about the saw blade. We might switch to a larger format tile if it’s easier. I thought these tiles would make this section easier and look better...

Man, they wouldn’t even know the meaning of the words “high maintenance” until they got a load of me! That is totally unacceptable!

Reactions: Jmerges and eh1159
Those tiles need to be weaved together as the sheets usually dont line up 100% so you pop a bunch off the mesh and weave them in with precision. If the surface isn't flat and they must be cut the best way is with a diamond wheel grinder. The small tiles move on the mesh easily on a tile wet saw, but it can be done with care

Reactions: eh1159 and Liz315
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.