Bad luck problem on Jandy valve---Need your suggestions

Jul 30, 2018
Scottsdale
I replaced pump and filter yesterday. Let plumbing dry last night. Started up this morning and pump would not prime. Could not figure it out. Then I heard hissing and went back and looked at photo from yesterday morning. I somehow sheared off plastic shrew on Jandy valve opposite of pump suction pipe.

See pics below. "Old pump" shows white screw head on Jandy valve opposite suction pipe. "New pump" shows plastic bag in Jandy valve where screw use to be. And "screw head".

Questions:
1. I have pump temporarily working with plastic bag in hole. It is not letting air in. Is this okay for today? Any concern? (There is small air bubble in pump basket).
2. Do you think I can glue on screw head for medium term fix? A week or two?
3. Long term I definitely need to replace the valve, just a little busy right now.

Thanks everyone! This forum was very helpful planning and executing the pump and filter replacement yesterday.

Attachments

• Old pump.jpg
    Old pump.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 55
  • New pump.jpg
    New pump.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Screw head.JPG
    Screw head.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 56
I think you can glue that back in okay. Only issue will be to be sure it is clear of the rotating plate internally. I think I would use super glue for this. It wont last forever but should be good for a few weeks.

From the photos I strongly dislike the plumbing on the suction side of the pump. I would be inclined to dig down and increase the amount of pipe above ground so the valve can be more easily replaced in future, assuming this is the intent.

Not sure if this is transferable however Blue glue in the countries I have worked in is usually non pressure glue. Green is usually pressure glue. No harm just letting you know.

If that is a screw, it looks like you could just screw/dig out the rest of it and replace it with another like kind. Looks like a vinyl screw Home Depot should have it. Not sure why that is even there but if you can't find that size get the next size and tap the hole for the new size.

Not sure if this is transferable however Blue glue in the countries I have worked in is usually non pressure glue. Green is usually pressure glue. No harm just letting you know.

The blue is a primer, and is required in the US. The PVC glue is clear.

Where is Victoria Park located? You should add that to your location.

TrevorAZ, it looks like you have the Jandy Gray valve. https://www.jandy.com/en/products/valves/gray It has the grease port that the never lube valve doesn't have. It also looks like the grease port cap was lost prior to this and replaced with the nylon nut. If you want to replace the grease port you need this kit: https://www.amazon.com/Jandy-2133-Valve-Grease-Valves/dp/B001F6JAUY
Otherwise you need to replace the valve. If you seal the grease port with glue or epoxy you will eventually need to lube the valve and not have access to do so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.