Bad day - found crack in my fiberglass pool.

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
I’ve noticed over the last few weeks an area on my pool that seems to attract dirt. It has a funny shape (like a triangle) so after brushing it off (literally) for awhile, today I got my goggles on and went down (in the deep end) to look at it. Ugh - it’s a crack. I’m hopeful it’s not actually leaking, but I’m afraid it is. After I thought about it, it does seem like my water level is going down more than evaporation would explain. Also, it makes sense that the dirt accumulation around the crack is due to water flow through the crack. Again, I’m hoping I’m not just freaking out, but it’s not looking good.

I’ll call the pool builder tomorrow. Wish me luck.

While I would expert you to be disappointed in the discovery, the silver lining is that you caught it early. Installers and/or manufacture techs have very good repair processes. It may be a bit inconvenient, but I suspect they'll make it right. Certainly keep us posted.

Reactions: pb4uswim
So how do they do a repair? I’m assuming they’ll have to drain the pool. I’m guessing they won’t cover the water and chemicals that have to be replaced. Not sure what a truck load or two of water will cost. Probably a few hundred in chemicals by the time I get it back in balance. Ugh.

Certainly, I’ll let everyone know how this goes.

Layers of fiberglass and resin and new gel coat. Boats and Corvettes get repaired this way and you can’t see the repair if done properly.

Yeah, you are probably out the water and chemicals. Stuff happens.

Ay thoughts on whether it would be better to do now or next spring? Not that I'll have a choice, but just wondering if there's a better time than an other.
Don’t give ‘em any reason to work against you - let them know ASAP and get the repair done. Once refilled, a couple of gallons of LC and CYA, perhaps a gallon or two of MA and you’re golden. I did a drain and refill this Spring and it took surprisingly little effort, time or money to balance a new fill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool builder responded to my email today. That was good. In the past, he hasn’t been to responsive. He said he’d be out on Thursday. He‘ll be getting into some scuba gear and taking pictures to file with the manufacturer (Latham). Other good news is that the manufacturer send out a team to do the repair. I’m encouraged that they will know how to repair it properly. The downside is that the pool builder says they’re running way behind. Typical in today’s conditions. This is very likely going to mess with closing the pool. I’ll know more on Thursday. Not sure how late into the year they work.

Sorry u have a crack ☹️
Hopefully they’ll take great care of it quickly.
Do u think this crevice has anything to do with your previous problem?

Do u think this crevice has anything to do with your previous problem?
I don’t know, but it sure makes me wonder. Seems unlikely but I’m in uncharted territory.

PB was out today. Confirmed the crack but using the dye test did not think it was leaking. Doesn’t really matter because the fix is the same. Pool will have to be emptied and the area repaired. Now we wait. PB said that the manufacturer will give him an estimated date, but he really didn’t think it would be before spring. So I’ll close the pool and see what happens in the spring. Just hoping that this doesn’t drag into summer swim season.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Followed up with the pool builder today and they said that Latham (fiberglass pool manufacturer) said that they do not consider the crack covered under warranty. The PB sent me a letter from Latham but all it says is that it’s not covered under warranty. I’ve asked twice now for the warranty and the specific language they’re relying on to consider it not covered. We’ll see what I get. They did say they’ll repair it for $2,100. Don’t think that’s going to happen.

At some level, I’d almost rather leave it alone. You can’t really see it and it’s in the corner in the deep end so you don’t really feel it. I only found it because of the way dirt was accumulating in the crack made me dive down there to see what was up.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: Mdragger88 and kul

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.