Bad day - found crack in my fiberglass pool.

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
I’ve noticed over the last few weeks an area on my pool that seems to attract dirt. It has a funny shape (like a triangle) so after brushing it off (literally) for awhile, today I got my goggles on and went down (in the deep end) to look at it. Ugh - it’s a crack. I’m hopeful it’s not actually leaking, but I’m afraid it is. After I thought about it, it does seem like my water level is going down more than evaporation would explain. Also, it makes sense that the dirt accumulation around the crack is due to water flow through the crack. Again, I’m hoping I’m not just freaking out, but it’s not looking good.

I’ll call the pool builder tomorrow. Wish me luck.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
How old is your pool?

FG pools can be repaired.

@Texas Splash

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
It should be under warranty then.

Reactions: pb4uswim

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Texas, San Antonio/Marion, South-Central Area
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
While I would expert you to be disappointed in the discovery, the silver lining is that you caught it early. Installers and/or manufacture techs have very good repair processes. It may be a bit inconvenient, but I suspect they'll make it right. Certainly keep us posted.

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
So how do they do a repair? I’m assuming they’ll have to drain the pool. I’m guessing they won’t cover the water and chemicals that have to be replaced. Not sure what a truck load or two of water will cost. Probably a few hundred in chemicals by the time I get it back in balance. Ugh.

Certainly, I’ll let everyone know how this goes.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Layers of fiberglass and resin and new gel coat. Boats and Corvettes get repaired this way and you can’t see the repair if done properly.

Yeah, you are probably out the water and chemicals. Stuff happens.

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
Ay thoughts on whether it would be better to do now or next spring? Not that I'll have a choice, but just wondering if there's a better time than an other.

reggiehammond

Gold Supporter
Oct 4, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Ay thoughts on whether it would be better to do now or next spring? Not that I'll have a choice, but just wondering if there's a better time than an other.
Don’t give ‘em any reason to work against you - let them know ASAP and get the repair done. Once refilled, a couple of gallons of LC and CYA, perhaps a gallon or two of MA and you’re golden. I did a drain and refill this Spring and it took surprisingly little effort, time or money to balance a new fill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
The pool builder responded to my email today. That was good. In the past, he hasn’t been to responsive. He said he’d be out on Thursday. He‘ll be getting into some scuba gear and taking pictures to file with the manufacturer (Latham). Other good news is that the manufacturer send out a team to do the repair. I’m encouraged that they will know how to repair it properly. The downside is that the pool builder says they’re running way behind. Typical in today’s conditions. This is very likely going to mess with closing the pool. I’ll know more on Thursday. Not sure how late into the year they work.

Mdragger88

Bronze Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Hernando, Ms
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Sorry u have a crack ☹️
Hopefully they’ll take great care of it quickly.
Do u think this crevice has anything to do with your previous problem?

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
Do u think this crevice has anything to do with your previous problem?
I don’t know, but it sure makes me wonder. Seems unlikely but I’m in uncharted territory.

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
PB was out today. Confirmed the crack but using the dye test did not think it was leaking. Doesn’t really matter because the fix is the same. Pool will have to be emptied and the area repaired. Now we wait. PB said that the manufacturer will give him an estimated date, but he really didn’t think it would be before spring. So I’ll close the pool and see what happens in the spring. Just hoping that this doesn’t drag into summer swim season.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Texas, San Antonio/Marion, South-Central Area
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Sounds about right. :goodjob: Hopefully the initial diagnosis of "not leaking" is correct. Once you close, it would be good to monitor the water level each month to be safe. Sure would hate to hear of a pop-out later.

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread