Backwash & Rinse: How long for each? How often?

EarpWJ

May 23, 2019
Northern CA
Sand filter, 25-30k gallon inground pool.

How long should I backwash for? How long should I rinse for?

I know I should do this after each vacuum session, but how often to do it when just normally running the filter?

You want to keep an eye on the waste discharge if you can. Backwash until the water looks clear. Rinse for at least 1 minute or water is clear, if it takes longer than 1 minute to see clear water. If the discharged is plumbed into a pipe, then watch the sight glass to determine when the water is clear.

If you are currently dealing with a green pool the directions are still the same. The water in the sight glass will look clear even when the pool is green after you backwash.

Reactions: JoAnne52
You want to keep an eye on the waste discharge if you can. Backwash until the water looks clear. Rinse for at least 1 minute or water is clear, if it takes longer than 1 minute to see clear water. If the discharged is plumbed into a pipe, then watch the sight glass to determine when the water is clear.

If you are currently dealing with a green pool the directions are still the same. The water in the sight glass will look clear even when the pool is green after you backwash.

Thanks, it is plumbed into a pipe. The discharge is in the grass, so its kinda hard to tell how dirty the water coming out is.

I brushed last night and this morning when I backwashed the water in the glass sight looked clean after 20 seconds, I let it run the full minute. When rinsed it was like 10 seconds till clear in the glass, but also let run for a full min. Is this the proper amount of time for each?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.