Automation Support

Aug 20, 2014
Melbourne, FL
I have been using TFP for almost 4yrs now and have had wonderful results with pool chemistry! Now it's time to tackle automation :)

Installed an iAqualink system over 3 years ago and then replaced the pool pump to Intelliflo VSF after previous one died. Will be following instructions on TFP to adding the Intelliflo VSF to work with IQ20-A based on the following

and will post result or ask for help if I have issues.

The question on Automation is as follows: I have the following from Jandy: All Button Control Panel with 2 JVA(Pool/Spa Combo) + 1 JVA for Solar. My understanding is that I have 1 JVA left that I can add via the "Cleaner" connection being that Intake, Return and Solar are being used for 24VAC. Aux1, Aux2 and Aux3 are used for Jet Pump, Light and Colorwheel by driving a 24V Relay for to provide 120V AC to the Sources.

Am I able to use the 24VDC that I have left over for Aux4, Aux5, Aux6 and Aux7 to drive any Valve Actuators being that this is 2 wire 24vdc vs 3wire 24vac? If yes then any recommendations on Actuators that work with 24vdc?

Thanks,
FM

I don't know the specifics of the Jandy automation, but all pool actuators I am aware of operate off of 24vac. I have used the Intermatic PE34VA which are a little less expensive than some of the other brands.

Thanks jblizzle, that was my findings as well, however wanted to confirm.
If I wanted to expand the number of actuators what would be the typical path someone would need to take. I currently have only 1 open, however looking to control more than one item. Also am I able to run them in parallel, for example lets say I want to change two valves based on 1 command. am I able to then split the wires from the Control pannel (1 Port) to the 2 actuators?

I had a similar thought for running 2 actuators on plug in my Hayward, but was advised that the current draw of 2 could exceed what the panel can supply.

I do not know how one would add additional valve controls. How many valves do you need to automate? 4 is usually more than enough.

Reactions: fmartine
Sadly, no..

The relay that comes with stock automation systems tend to be Double Pole Single Throw (DPST).. Meaning they only have Normally Open (NO) contacts.. What you need is a Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT), which has has a common, and a Normally Open and Normally Closed set of contacts..

I used a Pentair 2-speed relay because I had it and it fit my chassis, but they cost about $100 bucks and there are much cheaper ones out there.

Notice the relay in my diagram, drives the actuator one way when not energized, and the other way when energized. In your diagram the 24 VAC would go no where when not energized and to both actuator input wires when energized..

I used a separate 24 VAC transformer, but the one in the automation should work just fine as well..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Just to mention that I believe you can upgrade your Aqualink RS control board to have more than 4 JVA sockets.

Also, I think it was @PoolGate who recently posted about piggy-backing actuators to work on the same command. Sorry, I don't recall if that was a hack or a sanctioned Jandy process, but maybe he can clarify.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What model is your system? A "PS-4" for instance will only run 4 JVAs. To run more, you need to upgrade to a bigger system board like a PS-6 or 8. That will run like $1000. You can create a macro command in iAqualink that will activate multiple JVAs at once.

My Controller on the wall is a RS-4, however I had upgraded my PowerCenter with an iQ20-RS with Rev T.1 code. Can’t remember the Rev of code I had replaced but I purchased the home and it was built in 2004 timeframe. Even with upgrade, the total of JVAs is 4, but per TFP I can see how my options have opened up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.