autofill

shada

Jul 22, 2019
dallas,tx
new pool, terrible pool contractor. ya know sometimes when you barely turn on a faucet how it will groan and moan?? that is what my auto fill does 24/7. the faucet is outside my master bedroom bathroom and it echoes thru the wall and is literally loud enough to wake me up. My pool contractor said if i don't like it, then disconnect it and manually add water. I would think there would be a better solution.

What’s the static pressure at that valve? Turn off every water source in the house and get a pressure gauge to attach to that external valve at the spigot if it’s possible. Static pressure should be 50-60psi but no more than 70psi.

Another problem could be the auto fill valve itself is bad. Toilet bowl autofill valves can moan like that when they start to go bad. Typical fix is to just replace the valve.

Finally, your autofill should be plumbed to a spigot with a backfkow preventer and pressure reducer (regulator) in place. If it is not, then a licensed plumber needs to install one. A proper RPZ (reduces pressure zone) valve will cost a few hundred dollars to install. Be sure that the correct metals are chosen - brass and galvanized should never be directly contacting one another.

Reactions: Arizonarob
What’s the static pressure at that valve? Turn off every water source in the house and get a pressure gauge to attach to that external valve at the spigot if it’s possible. Static pressure should be 50-60psi but no more than 70psi.

Another problem could be the auto fill valve itself is bad. Toilet bowl autofill valves can moan like that when they start to go bad. Typical fix is to just replace the valve.

Finally, your autofill should be plumbed to a spigot with a backfkow preventer and pressure reducer (regulator) in place. If it is not, then a licensed plumber needs to install one. A proper RPZ (reduces pressure zone) valve will cost a few hundred dollars to install. Be sure that the correct metals are chosen - brass and galvanized should never be directly contacting one another.
seriously my pool was just turned over to me on July 12th. i'll show this to my husband and get him to try this. thanks

Wow, Shada. I didn't know my pool builder worked that far north! :) Kidding aside, I have an autofill that is plumbed correctly, in terms of backflow prevention. It just doesn't do anything. I can put a weight on the float to manually fill, but the one time I waited to see if it would come on, the water level was almost down to the bottom of the skimmer, and I was afraid of sucking air, so I put the weight on it. When I was shopping pool builders, one (the one with the highest price) warned me to "watch out for the guy with a wheelbarrow and list of subcontractors, who used to work for a pool builder." In spite of a good rating on homeadvisor.com, he turned out to be something of a dud who (1) didn't know how some of the installed equipment worked (Pentair Intelliconnect, Paramount Clear O3 and Ultra UV2), (2) installed or provided some wrong gear (pressure side cleaner and booster pump), and (3) does not respond to inquiries, leaving me to deal with manufacturers directly (actually, that's worked out OK, as I've learned a lot that I wouldn't have if things just got fixed, and I'm on a first name basis with some key personnel at Pentair and Hayward/Paramount.) One of these days, I'll fully investigate the autofill and probably fix it myself. In the meantime, I keep a heavy steel chisel on the back porch to "turn on" the autofill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.